LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 Sunroof has a mind of it's own!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 04:20 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by deweronick
So their is something going on "wirelessly" here. If anyone has figured out exactly what is going on, I haven't seen it in the threads, so I would love to hear back. Thanks
Something with an RF interference, perhaps? Where I work, we use hand held radios to communicate with each other (something in the 128.XX VHF band width)and when I key the mic to speak, the paper shredder will start running. Not kidding here... Every time. So, there's obviously something going on via the radio signal to trigger the motor and make it run, when the signal is being sent from the device.

How and why, I can't tell you.
Old 02-16-17, 05:23 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by deweronick
Hey folks...Just thought this might be addition helpful in identifying a possible problem. I have an 03 LS430 (ML and Nav) ....Today, I got my Cassette adapter as well as the bluetooth for cigarette lighter so I can play through my phone, or micro sd card (bluetooth adapter has a slot for the micro SD if I didnt want to sync with the phone)..On a side note, .Both work great with our LS by the way. Not quite CD sound, but I think much better than the FM stations sound (at least for me)....still clear and loud at about 1/2 to 3/4 volume... I use spotify and I think the files are nice and clean and most songs are digitally remastered..Anyhow, back to my original thread... When I had the bluetooth adapter going and I was listening to a song, I pressed the "forward" arrow on my phone to advance to the next song,... !! my sunroof started to open !! (kind of freaked me out as I still had 6" of snow on the roof and if it fell in, I would have had a mess on my hands)..luckily the snow stay in place up there and I used the sunroof switch to close it. I double checked, and hit the forward arrow again to skip to next song and sure enough, it started to open again.....I turned off the car and came in to see if it was a problem anyone else had here. I searched and this thread came up. Before posting here, I did go back out and try to replicate the anomaly. Before testing, I opened and closed the roof a couple times. I then started playing music through the bluetooth. I hit the forward button on the phone, but no sunroof activity this time. But I am 100% absolutely positive that I was opening the sunroof by hitting the skip forward button on my cell phone. So their is something going on "wirelessly" here. If anyone has figured out exactly what is going on, I havent seen it in the threads, so I would love to hear back. Thanks
I've had an issue with the sunroof acting on its own when it was extremely damp and wet outside for several consecutive days, and when the 12-volt battery was failing and shorting between the cells.