LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question

Old 09-23-10, 02:54 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question

These folks are a sponsor now and I was looking at a set of their stock appearing 18s online. I would like to purchase them, but I want to maintain my factory Lexus centercap. Has anyone ordered a set of these wheels and been able to use the factory cap?

Thanks
Old 09-23-10, 04:58 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've purchased two full sets of their wheels including a set of the four 18" LS430 stock design rims in hyperblack. I've never had a problem with any of them... As far as your OEM center caps go, I tried to use them and they do snap on, but they were a couple of mm too big in diameter, so they didn't recess and seat properly.

OEWheelsLLC, used to sell Lexus branded aftermarket caps, I purchased four with the first set of 17" rims I bought from them. But when I went to get the LS430 five spoke 18" rims from them earlier this year, they were only selling blanks. They told me they ran into some trouble with Toyota over copyright issues.

I ended up buying a set of four aftermarket Lexus branded caps off of ebay, they fit perfect and look just like stock.

Here's the details on the ones I bought off ebay this past March...

Seller
abenfi-wheels
fcwheels@gmail.com

4 NEW LEXUS CHROME WHEEL CENTER HUB CAPS LS430 GS300
Item# 180474254277 $39.99 USD 1 $39.99 USD
Old 09-23-10, 05:19 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I've purchased two full sets of their wheels including a set of the four 18" LS430 stock design rims in hyperblack. I've never had a problem with any of them... As far as your OEM center caps go, I tried to use them and they do snap on, but they were a couple of mm too big in diameter, so they didn't recess and seat properly.

OEWheelsLLC, used to sell Lexus branded aftermarket caps, I purchased four with the first set of 17" rims I bought from them. But when I went to get the LS430 five spoke 18" rims from them earlier this year, they were only selling blanks. They told me they ran into some trouble with Toyota over copyright issues.

I ended up buying a set of four aftermarket Lexus branded caps off of ebay, they fit perfect and look just like stock.

Here's the details on the ones I bought off ebay this past March...

Seller
abenfi-wheels
fcwheels@gmail.com

4 NEW LEXUS CHROME WHEEL CENTER HUB CAPS LS430 GS300
Item# 180474254277 $39.99 USD 1 $39.99 USD
Perfect! Thank you very much.
Old 09-24-10, 12:20 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

I saw Jim's post on the Hyperblack replica/clone LS wheels, and I have a question.

I just bought an '05 LS two weeks ago. It has the factory 18" alloys on it. I'm scrambling to get a second set of identical wheels, on which to mount snow tires, for the upcoming Minnesota winter. I don't want the look of my car to change when I put the spare wheels and snow tires on it - I LOVE the look of the factory 18" alloys just as they are. So, my goal is to match them as closely as possible.

I'm working on getting a set of used, refinished Lexus OE wheels, if possible (@ $114.95 per wheel, it's a pretty good deal), but so far, there aren't any available. The vendor will continue to look for up to 30 days, to try and fulfill my order. If they can't find any, then I REALLY need to scramble. My backup plan is a set of the replica/clone wheels.

Does anyone know whether Lexus considers the finish on their 18" 5-spoke (alloys) for the LS to be Hyperblack or Hypersilver? I've seen both finishes offered on the replica/clone wheels, and I'm not sure which one I should get, to most closely match the color of my factory wheels. As I look at the factory rims on my car, I really can't tell - in certain (low light) conditions, they seem fairly gray (as if they're maybe Hyperblack), but in bright sunlight, they're a nice, bright silver. Photos of the Hyperblack replica/clone wheels (on the vendor's website) look okay to me, color-wise, but it's SO hard to judge from photos. I'm afraid that if I order the Hyperblacks, I might end up with a wheel that is much, much darker than my factory wheels.

If anybody has gotten a set of the replica/clone Hyperblacks, can you tell me how they compared (color-wise) to your factory alloys?

Thanks!
-Nick
Old 09-24-10, 06:04 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a picture of my 05 LS430 with the OEWheelsLLC 18's on it in Hyperblack... Along with the aftermarket centers. The tires are Michelin Sport A/S Plus. Y rated (186mph). The tires are a bit aggressive looking compared to a Primacy...

The second picture is a cell phone pic of the OEM Silver rim with a BF Goodrich on it. I switched over to the OEWheel Hyperblack and Michelin Sport, and now I'm putting Michelin XIce on the original OEM's for this winter...

I wish I had similar good quality angle shots with each rim that I could share with you, but unfortunately I don't...
Attached Thumbnails OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question-img_0895.jpg   OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question-ls430-rims.jpg  
Old 09-24-10, 07:48 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Factory is hyper silver. Replica in hyper black look almost semi chrome from certain angles. They are much shinier. Im on my 2nd Ls430 and went with replicas the 2nd time at 1/4 the cost of a set of factorys. I'm very happy with my replicas. The design is exactly the same. I always keep the wheels regularly waxed and wash them only with car wash soap so the finish should not fail. The replicas just might end up being your summer rims

Btw I've got 235/50/18 pirelli and the ride is comparable to 17's
Attached Thumbnails OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question-wheels-009.jpg  
Old 09-24-10, 11:52 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

Thanks so much for the replies.

@ Jim: What a coincidence - TireRack.com just delivered my set of Michelin X-Ice tires yesterday! (Now all I need is some rims, on which to mount them, and let it snow…). Let’s touch base midwinter, and compare notes on this particular snow tire. I have high expectations. I had Dunlop Graspic DS2’s on my 2002 GS 430, and I got 5 winters out of them. I never got stuck, never slid off the road, never lost control of the car, and (sadly) never missed a day of work, due to a Minnesota snowstorm (what’s more - I have a 52-mile commute!). Curious - did you stick with the size 245/45R-18 for your X-Ice snows? I stepped it down to a size 225/50R-18 for mine (which, I’m told will mount up just fine on the 18”x7.5” wheel).

@ JLAWS: I hear ‘ya on the price of the factory rims. At around $700 per wheel, how many of those does the Parts Department of an average Lexus dealership (expect to) sell?!? When I purchased my ’02 GS 430, 5 years ago, I bought a set of the 5-spoke replica 17”x8” alloys, for my snow tires. They looked identical to the OE GS wheels, but they didn’t last (in spite of my obsessive washing with a mild carwash soap). After 4 winters, the finish was beginning to flake and peel. After the 5th winter, they were looking pretty rough. In hindsight, I wish I would have used the replicas for my summer tires and used the factory rims for my snows. Something tells me the factory wheels might have withstood the sand and salt a little better. If I end up going with replicas for my second set of wheels, I may still have them swap the tires, and use the factory wheels for winter duty on my LS.

Again, thanks to both of you for the info. - very helpful!
Old 09-27-10, 07:21 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Based on this thread, I just ordered a set of the hyper-black 18"

wheels for my 2001 ls430. They were in stock.

I currently have the optional 17" chrome, but they leak around the bead

where the chrome has oxidized. No more chrome for me.

Total price to my door in two to four days was $620.

They did not give a clublexus discount.

I intend to use them year around in Georgia.

I will use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. I need to figure out the correct

tire size so that the speedometer remains accurate.

Thanks to all for the very useful information.

Alan
Old 09-27-10, 07:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by alanchad
I hadn't seen anything about this vendor since they haven't posted on the forum yet, but when I went to look up their profile I noticed their avatar image has a discount code.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...oereplace.html

May not help you (could call to ask, especially if you just placed the order) but if other members order from them should try using it.

Good price on these wheels, looking forward to pics!
Old 09-27-10, 07:41 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

I just called them back and was told that they are not a sponsor on any Lexus forum, and did not have a discount code available to anyone.

I told the gentleman what the code was and he said again - not a sponsor on clublexus or any other Lexus forum, and that the code is invalid.

Alan
Old 09-27-10, 07:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Looks like it may be a different place that sounds similar, I saw the "OExxx" and firgured it was the same place from the thread title. Sorry!

http://www.OEReplacement.com

Looks more parts focused, not wheels.

Keep calling back and demand that 5% because of the confusion. Maybe they'll give it to you

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-27-10 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 12:13 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by alanchad
Based on this thread, I just ordered a set of the hyper-black 18"

wheels for my 2001 ls430. They were in stock.

I currently have the optional 17" chrome, but they leak around the bead

where the chrome has oxidized. No more chrome for me.

Total price to my door in two to four days was $620.

I intend to use them year around in Georgia.

I will use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. I need to figure out the correct

tire size so that the speedometer remains accurate.

Thanks to all for the very useful information.

Alan

$620 ? Why so much? I paid $540 shipped a month ago. Did you order them thru Ebay? I still see that price now $452 + $85 shipping.

You also need to order silver factory "L" caps from somewhere. I paid $35 shipped for all 4 oem caps. The caps that come with the wheels are crap.

Also thru Ebay Discount Tire Direct has a sale going on. I got Pirelli 235/50/18 for $562 shipped. The tires are excellent and the size is comfortable.
Old 09-27-10, 12:23 PM
alanchad
Pole Position

I paid for expedited shipping, and they are a little higher on their website.

Didn't see the ebay listings until I had already ordered.
Old 10-28-10, 07:39 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

Alright Ladies & Gents, here is the real story on center caps for your Hyperblack “clones” from OE Wheels LLC:

I received my 18” Hyperblacks this week. I knew that the center caps which come with the clones would be rubbish. So, immediately after I ordered my wheels, I bought a set of used genuine Lexus LS430 silver caps on eBay for $20. The wheels & caps arrived on the same day. GOD was I disappointed!

While the Lexus “standard” silver caps DO fit the clone wheels, the color is WAAAAY wrong; the caps are far too light. The Hyperblack clones are considerably darker (and much shinier) than the Lexus factory 18” alloys. The silver Lexus caps stick out like a sore thumb against the pewter-colored clones. I’m a picky S.O.B., so I couldn’t let it go, and using the included aftermarket caps from OE Wheels LLC was out of the question! I knew that I’d seen some darker colored alloys on a few of the more recent vehicles from Lexus.

I did some research, and discovered that Lexus calls the color of these darker alloys “Liquid Graphite.” I thought that caps in this color might be a better match for the clones - AND THEY ARE! I took one of my clones into the local Lexus dealership today, and snapped a Liquid Graphite center cap into it, and it’s as close to perfect, color-wise, as you can get! I just bought a set of 4 Liquid Graphite caps, and have some photos to show you exactly what I’m rambling about. THE LEXUS PART NUMBER FOR THESE LIQUID GRAPHITE CAPS IS 42603-30590. They list for $23.94 each, but shop the net, and you can find them for less…

Here are all 3 caps, side-by-side, for comparison.

Here is the Hyperblack clone with the (CORRECT) Lexus "Liquid Graphite" color cap.

Here is the Hyperblack clone with the (INCORRECT) Lexus "standard" silver cap.
Old 10-29-10, 07:55 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow they really are night and and day after lookin at your pics. Kinda like the aftermarket ones better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question