Telescoping Steering Warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 08:33 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Telescoping Steering Warning

I found this post years ago:

If you use the steering wheel adjuster (that little **** on the left side of the wheel) and place the wheel to full extension and then click the **** 8 times toward you, it will extend the wheel even further.
I've also used this technique on other Lexus models (GS, SC, and both LSs). In my '05, this worked, but caused a problem that required me to replace the telescoping motor yesterday. While it seems like a good thing to bypass the factory set stop position of the telescoping steering, from my experience, this can damage the motor and eventually lead to an improperly functioning steering adjuster.

When i started the car or exited the car, the telescoping used to work. But after a few months, it started to make noises and then it would only tilt or telescope part of the way. It finally stopped telescoping automatically, but i still could manually adjust it. Then, it was not responsive at all my manual adjustments. After replacing the motor, it still didn't work correctly, though it did adjust a little using the switch. I had to push the switch forward 8x to get it to work again correctly. Almost like it was stuck in the fully extended mode, beyond the factory setting. Luckily, i tried retracting the steering wheel using the 8x method... otherwise i would've been stuck with another motor, which didn't help the cause.

So, message here... if you decide to extend your telescoping steering beyond the factory default full extension, you can expect that problems can occur with the motor. And, the motor is expensive (like most Lexus parts), and the replacement procedure is rather difficult. It took me about 2 hours to remove all the panels, access the motor, replace it and put the dash back together. Not fun and my back hurts from laying on the floorboard upside down!

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Telescoping Steering Warning-img_1499-medium-.jpg   Telescoping Steering Warning-img_1504-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-17-10, 09:17 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That does not look to be any fun at all. I wonder how may cars get dropped off at the Lexus dealer looking like that with a request to put it all back together and make it work again.
Old 09-17-10, 09:21 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by caddyowner
That does not look to be any fun at all. I wonder how may cars get dropped off at the Lexus dealer looking like that with a request to put it all back together and make it work again.
Funny you say that... I thought about cutting down my time when i had the PCS ECU fixed by taking the passenger side dash apart before dropping it off at Lexus. Figured it would save them a 1/2 hour and save me $60 or more on labor. But, i didn't It would scare me to see a 1/2 completed job show up at my place of business!
Old 09-17-10, 09:30 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DDlexus ..........looks like youre pretty good with your hands. Pretty hard to se where that motor is located
Old 09-17-10, 09:52 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vpanin
DDlexus ..........looks like youre pretty good with your hands....
Reminds me of "Blazing Saddles":

Jim: Look at my hand.
[raises hand and holds it level]
Bart: Steady as a rock.
Jim: [raises his other hand, which is violently trembling] Yeah, but I shoot with this one.
Old 09-17-10, 10:57 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by Vpanin
Pretty hard to see where that motor is located
It was hard to see with the steering rack in place. It's located just about the floor heater ducts, at the back of the telescopic steering screw. The motor turns the screw, which then extends or retracts the steering wheel. Little hands would've been nice here! I almost asked my wife to help, but decided not to bother her
Attached Thumbnails Telescoping Steering Warning-img_1499_locator.jpg  
Old 09-17-10, 02:22 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

What if you have the auto exit turned off by the dealer? I would imagine that if the wheel isn't constantly adjusting every time the car is turned off, it doesn't matter where along the track the steering wheel is right? (Unless you are constantly adjusting back and forth of course).
Old 09-17-10, 03:32 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much further will the column come back with the +8 tap trick? I need about another half an inch to be comfortable.

Justin...
Old 09-21-10, 08:48 PM
Jacks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap! I've been using that feature as well and recently my the auto-set feature is not working, my up/down feature does not work at all (perhaps motor) and the in/out feature only works manually. I was thinking the ECU may be shot, but after reading this it may be the motor(s) creating the problem. Any diagnostic ideas or DYI's would be appreicated. I am hoping I only have to take this apart once after looking at what is all involved with it. Thanks!

That's now two steering systems on this forum messed up after using that feature.
Old 09-23-10, 08:06 AM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fergo308
How much further will the column come back with the +8 tap trick? I need about another half an inch to be comfortable.

Justin...
Try and see, I'd say you get your half.

I like that "extra" extention but from reading this thread. I think I'll stop doing it.