LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: How many problems have you had with your 2001-2006 Lexus LS430
3 or less minor problems
58.66%
4 or more minor problems
11.42%
1 major problem and some minor problems
16.54%
2 to 4 major problems and some minor problems
9.84%
too many problems to count
3.54%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430

Old 02-16-16, 09:18 AM
mrboca
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2002 LS430 base.. At 113 Kmiles. Bought 4.5 years ago. Very lightly used (weekend car).

1) replaced leaking radiator due to a minor leak where the upper hose connects to the radiator body.
2) Replaced leaky valve cover gaskets with new grommets, spark plug tube seals, spark plugs, PCV valve, camshaft position sensor connector (wire broke while positioning the valve cover.
3) Replaced timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump with the Aisin kit.
4) Replaced serpentine belt
5) Replaced MAF sensor, throttle body cleaned.
6)Stuck side mirrors due to corrosion at the switch. Removed and cleaned to fix
7) Telescope / Tilt issues.. Does not automatically telescope in/out anymore. Manually it works. Tilt does not work at all. Needs re-greasing I suppose. Does not bother me as it is tilted in a good position for me. I will get to it when I have some time.
8) Battery eater, if you do not use the car extended period of time (one week to 10 days). I connect it to trickle charger with a connector I rigged just below the passenger side wiper blade.
9) Replaced front / rear bumper faded chrome trim molding that I bought from Advanced Auto Parts.
10) Reconditioned the minor cracks, scuffs on the ecru colored front seats (especially on driver's seat)
11) Sanded down and reconditioned the steering wheel maple wood trim cracks (upper and lower). Not fully removed but at least it feels much smoother to touch.

I keep a bluetooth OBD2 adapter permanently plugged in This allows me to read the engine parameters, codes temperatures with my Torque app in my smartphone.
Old 02-19-16, 11:31 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

had mine 3 years. cigar lighter does not work
Old 05-05-16, 06:24 PM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

5 years with the LS430
Regular maintenance stuff (pads, rotors, timing belt, water pump, tires)

Minor problems:
Folding mirrors - DYI Cleaning contacts did the trick
Center console lid loose - DYI procedure did the trick
Rear Sub Woof blown - DYI foam ring replacement did the trick.
Steering wheel tilt motor - DYI motor replacement 300$
Stupid rear vanity lamps doors - Both of them - DYI replacement 2x240$ Each Ouch.
Collapsed and uncomfortable driver seat butt cushion - $300 OEM received, yet to be installed.
Old 05-05-16, 07:22 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by GrahamG
Bocatrip, why did you replace your radiator? Was it by way of preventative maintenance or did it fail?
Top seam split which is common on these cars. Front axle hub bearing is starting to make noise which is my next project. OEM hub is expensive.
Old 05-09-16, 02:35 PM
montanaboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Car -235K miles no major problems

I love my 2001 LS430 , 235,000 miles and going strong. No major problems, I changed the alternator at 225K ($150) and Oxygen sensor ($300). I do a lot of the maintenance myself it is a easy car to work on.
Old 05-10-16, 12:37 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

My 2001 LS430 (base) is the nicest car I've ever owned. 103k miles. Bought w/ 89k miles. Previous owner (older guy) did all the service recommended. No leaks, drips of any kind. In 3 years, these are the repairs:
90k - factory service. also did new plugs
92k - lower control arm bushings
95k - The CD player jammed. Brisk "tap" to the right of the slot solved the problem (suggest from in here)
102k - new brakes, trans service (drain and fill). Not a fan of doing flush in an older car.
Had the shop disable the steering wheel movement. I don't fold the mirrors. Careful warm up (not really necessary), oil changes at 5k, always covered. Not always babied. I do like to accelerate
Old 06-10-16, 05:13 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2004 LS430 UL has had a few show stoppers and a minor problems. It has 98K on it now and I picked it up with 63K on it.
1) Replaced O2 sensor that failed with dramatic trouble codes being thrown for the stability system.
2) Replaced OEM radiator that was leaking at the top tank
3) Had to re-replace the lower radiator hose when the OEM hose was too close to the serpentine belt and wore a hole in it
3) Outside mirror folder is getting squeaky on the drivers side
4) Telescoping wheel is getting squeaky on auto movement
5) Window seal at the top of the drivers door has a crack. If the window is put all the way up there's a noisy air leak. Bumping the window down a smidgen stops it.
6) The headlights don't seem to follow a turn. I think they are inop and I'm not sure how to diagnose and fix
7) Drivers seat needs a new cushion pad on the bottom.
Generally the car has been quite good. I think the prior owner (s) were casual about maintenance and some areas - like speaker covers are worn.
8) I'm watching the alternator like a hawk because it shows 13.5 volts at rest and that is only marginally OK

Last edited by fensterlip; 06-10-16 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-10-16, 06:03 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fensterlip
My 2004 LS430 UL has had a few show stoppers and a minor problems. It has 98K on it now and I picked it up with 63K on it.
8) I'm watching the alternator like a hawk because it shows 13.5 volts at rest and that is only marginally OK
13.5 v. is really low output.
Old 08-08-16, 02:48 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaboy
I love my 2001 LS430 , 235,000 miles and going strong. No major problems, I changed the alternator at 225K ($150) and Oxygen sensor ($300). I do a lot of the maintenance myself it is a easy car to work on.
WOWWWWWWWW 235,000 miles and still going strong,very very impressive,im gonna definitely look into getting one,its just to many GREAT things being said about these LS430s...
Old 08-08-16, 02:51 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
My 2001 LS430 (base) is the nicest car I've ever owned. 103k miles. Bought w/ 89k miles. Previous owner (older guy) did all the service recommended. No leaks, drips of any kind. In 3 years, these are the repairs:
90k - factory service. also did new plugs
92k - lower control arm bushings
95k - The CD player jammed. Brisk "tap" to the right of the slot solved the problem (suggest from in here)
102k - new brakes, trans service (drain and fill). Not a fan of doing flush in an older car.
Had the shop disable the steering wheel movement. I don't fold the mirrors. Careful warm up (not really necessary), oil changes at 5k, always covered. Not always babied. I do like to accelerate
WOWWWWWWWW your saying a 2001 is the best car you ever driven,thats really impressive,i guess these models are really that good,i gotta look into getting one...
Old 08-08-16, 03:29 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

The LS430 I believe were produced at close to 20,000+ cars a year since 2001. That would come to over 120,000 cars to date. With that many cars on the road and getting 144 responses for this survey on problems, it really doesn't show a true measure of this car's issues and or problems. As these cars age, more stuff arises, and many many owners are not on these forums. Bottom line, this is just a small sample of what our owners have experienced. Yes the LS430 is a relatively reliable car, but it is also an expensive car to repair when it needs repairs, and as any old car does, it requires repairs. Is the survey helpful? Yes....Does it tell the entire picture? ???? Only the latest owner can say....and it's still aging.
Old 10-27-16, 03:07 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2000 LS430, 165,000 miles (yes its a 3rd gen, but its a JDM model), imported to New Zealand in 2005 and put through Toyota's Signature Class program (faults get repaired, radio gets converted from JDM frequencies to local, and body gets full panel and paint before going to the dealers), first registered in 2007. Previous owner replaced a tie rod end and a transmission inhibitor switch due to a check engine fault.

As she sits: Front rotors warped to buggery
Front wheel bearing making noise
Right cylinder head rocker cover seeping oil
Transmission oil leak
Hood struts poked
Inhibitor switch circuit fault causing a CEL
Steering angle sensor burned out due to low voltage (battery ran flat) and causing a VSC fault
Big split in the leather on the driver's door card
Driver's seat blower motor has broken a mounting or ran a bearing
Front and rear bumpers have paint delamination (combination of incorrect prep and actual damage)
Right rear C-pillar has paint clear coat delamination (hard to say what caused this)

So far all I've done is tint the windows and fit an Optima 1000cca battery. I only planned to buy the car, fix it up and flip it but its kinda growing on me, and my Corona won't be able to tow my boat forever....
Old 10-27-16, 09:40 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

2004, 242k miles (purchased 5/08 with 70k miles).

O2 Sensor replaced around 215k
Driver door lock replaced around 200k
Passenger window actuator replaced around 200k (happened simultaneously to the driver door lock issue, seems to be a very odd coincidence but no one ever experienced both going out at same time)

Other than that it has been routine maintenance which I'm religious about performing at the recommended intervals.
Old 10-27-16, 01:34 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom57
13.5 v. is really low output.
Mine has been 13.5 since I purchased it 7 years ago. Change my battery every 2.5 years due to the heat here in Florida before it fails.
Old 10-27-16, 02:35 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
Going to the dealer is fine IF the car is covered by warranty.
After the warranty is up, MOST people find another shop.
Its always been that way You need to have a very good reason to pay Lexus or any other dealer's price for parts or service. The only way I would is if they did GREAT work, and that has never been my experience yet.
Dealer my choice for a 04-06 trans drain and fill. Indy did it in less than 45 minutes and overfilled (3/4 qts). Equal drain and replace. Dealer drained overfill and used thermometer. Let it sit to get the right temp. Shifts are now silky. LCA's? Indy. Motor/trans mounts? Indy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with 2001-2006 Lexus LS430