LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

my first issue. check engine. (code- malfunctioning cam-angle sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 03:44 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy my first issue. check engine. (code- malfunctioning cam-angle sensor)

CORRECTION CAM POSITION SENSOR (P0340)
yep the P0340 A - Bank 1 circuit malfunction

This is way too early for stuff to start breaking.

Couple of days ago i got the check engine light.
Yesterday after work i went to have it checked.
It turned out to be a code for cam-angle sensor.
Unable to reset it (it just comes right back up).
But, car runs/drives perfectly fine. thats weird.

Has anyone had this issue before in the past?
And how were you able to resolve the problem?
Im taking LS to the dealer to see what they say

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-12-10 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 03:49 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

P.S. For some of you guys that might not know..

cam-angle sensor is a (typically) mushroom looking sensor. it sits at the front of the head of the engine in front of the cam shaft (typically intake cam). Its only job is to tell the computer what position the cam is in right now, so that computer will tell which coil to fire. In theory... car should not even be able to start with a bad cam-angle sensor, think of it as distributor pointing the wrong way
Old 07-12-10, 09:55 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a wild guess here, could it be dirty for not reading the signal correctly since everything ran fine and assume nobody touch your car. From looking at picture of LS430 timing-belt replacement look like you can remove this sensor very easily since locate on the side. Bottom looking up, between oil filter and crank pulley, it's look like a 10mm bolt, unplug wired then removed. If this the case then much simpler compare to 2JZ engine as the sensor deep behind crank pulley, cover..ect. Hope this help as I want to learn myself also and please have another person look at it since don't want to led you on wrong path.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-ls430-2.html
Old 07-12-10, 12:40 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

great link, ty, i forgot about that thread. but its not as easy as the rb series engine i had =)

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-12-10 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 03:03 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

after doing some research... it could be:

timing is off
plug is bad
wire is bad
acu is bad
pcm is bad
cps is not close enough
cps is bad
cps is weak
cps is not plugged in
cat is bad
bad circuit
crank angle sensor bad
alternator is bad
voltage is incorrect
igniter is bad
Old 07-13-10, 03:04 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

=( damn, now my battery died.

i knew it was coming tho, but still sucks nothing the less. had to jump it 3 times in 1 day
that was the only thing that i noticed was wrong with the car when i got it.
battery looked like it was 20 years old lol. and when i had it tested it was about 60% life.

talked to my mechanic. he told me to get interstate battery.
i looked up what they have and OMG im getting this one today!
it has 7, yes, SEVEN year warrantee! i never seen that before!

MTP-24F
CA 1000
CCA 800
$ 113.95

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-13-10 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 03:59 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there connection between these two issues?
Old 07-13-10, 05:46 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

havent had time to check. just spend the last 48hours at work and school
been jump starting the car every place i leave in the last 2 days lol,
but, other than that and a blown left tweeter, car is perfect (knock on wood)

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-13-10 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 06:54 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Hopefully you got the new battery. Jump starting a car like the LS with a huge amount of ICs in it is definitely a bad idea and should be done only in emergency. You blow out one or more chips with even a brief surge or short during a jump and it could be an expensive jump start.

Jump starting cars has been going on for 60 years - but unfortunately cars have changed a lot over those years particularly the electrical systems. Along those lines, if someone asks you to jump their car in a parking lot you better think twice, I know its the good neigbor thing to do but you could end up with hundreds of dollars of repairs on your car. You are hooking up your electrical system and all your ICs with whatever is wrong with their car's electrical system. It could be just a dead battery in their car or it could be a way more serious like a wide open voltage regulator, or diodes/rectifiers gone in the alternator. It could be something that could damage your electrical system, blow one or more ICs, damage your alternator, etc in just a few minutes that it takes for the jump. I know its a drag to not help someone in need, but in my opinion, you'd be better off giving the person $50 bucks for a tow truck jump instead of hooking up your LS. The only safe way to give someone a jump is to disconnect your battery from your car - then you only risk damage to your battery.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-13-10 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 07:19 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
=( damn, now my battery died.

i knew it was coming tho, but still sucks nothing the less. had to jump it 3 times in 1 day
that was the only thing that i noticed was wrong with the car when i got it.
battery looked like it was 20 years old lol. and when i had it tested it was about 60% life.

talked to my mechanic. he told me to get interstate battery.
i looked up what they have and OMG im getting this one today!
it has 7, yes, SEVEN year warrantee! i never seen that before!

MTP-24F
CA 1000
CCA 800
$ 113.95

Suggest you don't forget your local Lexus dealer. I paid $119.95 for new battery (2 year free replacement/81 month prorate warranty) at my Lexus dealer. And no, I don't work for them. I just happen to be fortunate to have an excellent dealer within 5 miles of me.
Old 07-13-10, 07:23 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Do get battery replace ASAP as don't want to wear out the starter in which can be costly. If timing is off then your car should run very wierd but from early post everything ran fine and assume nobody touch your car. My best recommend is do simple and cheap stuff first by take off the sensor clean it. If worked great otherwise replace as Toyota/Lexus not known for throw multiple relate issue at you but I'm maybe wrong. As for jump start....................don't cross the terminal or somebody gonna get hurt real bad .
Old 07-13-10, 07:24 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Forgot to ask important question......how miles on your car?
Old 07-13-10, 07:53 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by votru
Forgot to ask important question......how miles on your car?

86xxx miles

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Suggest you don't forget your local Lexus dealer. I paid $119.95 for new battery (2 year free replacement/81 month prorate warranty) at my Lexus dealer. And no, I don't work for them. I just happen to be fortunate to have an excellent dealer within 5 miles of me.

my closes dealer is 25miles away and they are the biggest pile of worthless **** ever and im not dealing with them again, next closest dealer is 80+ miles away

Originally Posted by votru
My best recommend is do simple and cheap stuff first by take off the sensor clean it.

i cant find it lol

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-13-10 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 09:47 PM
votru
Lead Lap

99.99% sured that above is cam sensor.....picture borrow from timing belt thread. There are more detail picture in that thread and you have to remove under engine cover to see it like when did oil change. If feasible then try to see if you can removed and clean the sensor but not replaced. The reason are rarely see they go bad and you pretty close to 90K marked in which the belt maybe loose a bit that can also throw off the timing. Do your car burn more gas then usual or acting weird?

To kill two birds with one stone, you might as well do the 90K tune up so they can open everything up and check whether the belt really loose or teeth off on the timing. If goes this route, use OEM parts as they will last till next 90k miles. Hoped this help and looking forward to more update.
Old 07-14-10, 03:01 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

ty. car came with a full 90k tune up.
cam sensor is the one directly to the right of the water pump before cam puley (with the thick black wire in this picture)
i found the problem. when they did the timing belt, they didnt secure that wire good enough. and it fell on top of the belt, which overtime rubbed through it. i fixed it. and (for now) it is not giving any trouble codes

Quick Reply: my first issue. check engine. (code- malfunctioning cam-angle sensor)