LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 10:09 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks RPA. Excellent thread. I've attached a map of speakers. Is this everything? I ask because there's a mention of A pillar speakers. I have to shove the front/rear balance almost all the way back to get "balanced" sound. Problem maybe weak audio output from front speakers. At least that's the place to start. I'm not going to worry about one blown dash tweeter. Not worth pulling the dash. Had the subwoofer completely rebuilt (foam, cone and coil). It sounds great. Just want to get the rest of the system working well. Had ML in our 96 ES300. It was incredible sound. Hope to get my 04 LS sounding as good!
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s-ls-430-speakers.png  
Old 02-04-17, 11:22 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Modern Luxury Package includes the 240 watt ML system w/ 11 speakers. I"m probably missing something but only see 9 on the "map".
Old 02-05-17, 11:44 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Modern Luxury Package includes the 240 watt ML system w/ 11 speakers. I"m probably missing something but only see 9 on the "map".
For Mark Levinson, the repair manual shows that each of the "so called" front tweeter is made up of 2 speakers wired in parallel (as shown within a box in the diagram below), in other words, a 2-way speaker. So the 9 physical speakers you counted are actually 11 speakers.

The following 2 users liked this post by rkw77080:
aypues (10-31-22), tallcaguy (02-05-17)
Old 02-20-17, 12:14 AM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

So is it really that easy to replace the tweeter speakers?

Because I think the two up front are about to/are giving out. So I wanna make sure I can replace them easily because my dad is like, being a dad about the car and not letting me do projects.
Old 02-20-17, 05:39 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC89LS400
So is it really that easy to replace the tweeter speakers?
Of the 9 speakers in a LS430, the tweeter speakers are the most difficult ones to replace. This project involves tearing down the dashboard (removal of many parts) to reach them from beneath.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (10-31-22)
Old 03-09-17, 09:46 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Ok haven't be able to figure this one out. In the 6 months I've owned the car, the ML system has been disappointing. Had the subwoofer totally rebuilt and that helped. Clarity if a solo acoustic musical was incredible. However, straight up rock n roll sounded "flat" no matter how I adjusted the system. Today I loaded a CD. Worked mechanically but no sound. When I started to turn up the volume, got a very loud (full volume) "POP". Loud enough my ears hurt. I figured the system had just melted down. However the amp was replaced 5k miles ago with brand new OEM Lexus. Then the music started playing. It sounds better than it's ever sounded. I now understand why some owners like the ML. At moderate (or a little higher) volume, sound is "rich" and totally fills the car. I adjusted the L/R and F/R balance to check each speaker. Best ever. It's never been intermittent. Since the "gun shot" it's worked fine. Anyone have any idea what happened?
Old 04-08-17, 08:19 AM
bradisrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wiring diagram

Hey I just bought a 2004 lexus Ls430 UL w/ the Mark Levinson stereo and am trying to install a subwoofer and amp but I cant find the wiring diagram. you have a great post here but the link to the wiring diagram doesnt work! Please Help!!
Old 04-09-17, 07:30 AM
bradisrad
Driver School Candidate

Yes it is thanks!!
Old 06-22-17, 08:02 PM
Rossntwk
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't take no for an answer!

Originally Posted by TTBomB
Just wanted to add this:

I called Vais today and asked them if it was possible to purchase a unit through them that would allow the following:

Keep Factory Screen/Nav as is.
Keep ML system/head unit as is.
Add a secondary head unit which includes Nav, Sirius, DVD, MP3, etc.

They told me that I would NOT be able to do this.

The other option I believe may work would be the Beatsonic kits. Anyone here try them?
yes, I was told by 2 different Stere install expert companies that this could not be done. One simply said it couldn't be done & the other said they'd have to work around the ML Sy's and do several add ins but I didn't accept that. Instead I ended up doing it all myself.
Find yourself a good DD head unit (I opted for Pioneer AVH 4201 NEX which is excellent) and you WILL need the Beatsonic kit. It has the critical converter unit between the NAV & the new unit (just bypass the brake switch if you want to have video while car is in motion). Also, only connect the front 2 speakers to new unit. Rear & woofer will still run from NAV controls. Most steering wheel controls will
Old 06-22-17, 08:04 PM
Rossntwk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rossntwk
yes, I was told by 2 different Stere install expert companies that this could not be done. One simply said it couldn't be done & the other said they'd have to work around the ML Sy's and do several add ins but I didn't accept that. Instead I ended up doing it all myself.
Find yourself a good DD head unit (I opted for Pioneer AVH 4201 NEX which is excellent) and you WILL need the Beatsonic kit. It has the critical converter unit between the NAV & the new unit (just bypass the brake switch if you want to have video while car is in motion). Also, only connect the front 2 speakers to new unit. Rear & woofer will still run from NAV controls. Most steering wheel controls will
*still work but not Mode. You can always get a separate SW controller.
Old 06-23-17, 02:28 PM
Rowdiggty
Rookie

has anyone used an aftermarket amp instead of the mark levinson, along with using the factory wiring for signal from the factory radio and factory output wiring to the speakers? Id like to upgrade the amplifier while using all the factory signal and speaker wiring along with the factory radio.
Old 06-28-17, 11:18 AM
banjojimmy
9th Gear

Default Weird ML malfunction

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
lol, im not an expert. Im just passing on what I have learned over the years while playing with cars.
I appreciate your posts on ML issues. Here's a weird one: on my just-acquired '02 430UL...Volume **** does nothing, but Tuning **** controls volume! Radio tuning is possible with the up/down rocker switch only. Also audio select button functions are all scrambled. For example, press CD and you get AM radio! It is possible to hear AM, FM and Cassette, but NO CDs, which is my main problem. The changer will accept & eject but no audio is present. Balance & tone functions [for radio/cassette] are working on the touch screen. FYI the Nav chassis has been removed from the trunk...just the plugs hanging there. (I could care less about the lousy Nav system, just wondered if it may affect the audio portion.) I am contemplating just sticking in a doubleDIN aftermarket stereo where the changer resides if I can't easily correct these faults. I would wire its outputs directly to the car's speakers and bypass the ML amps entirely, right? I'm thinking that is the simplest way to go. I've been a TV engineer (& car nut) for nearly 50 years and have seen plenty of odd device malfunctions, but this one is a classic. What would you do?
Old 06-29-17, 05:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by banjojimmy
I appreciate your posts on ML issues. Here's a weird one: on my just-acquired '02 430UL...Volume **** does nothing, but Tuning **** controls volume! Radio tuning is possible with the up/down rocker switch only. Also audio select button functions are all scrambled. For example, press CD and you get AM radio! It is possible to hear AM, FM and Cassette, but NO CDs, which is my main problem. The changer will accept & eject but no audio is present. Balance & tone functions [for radio/cassette] are working on the touch screen. FYI the Nav chassis has been removed from the trunk...just the plugs hanging there. (I could care less about the lousy Nav system, just wondered if it may affect the audio portion.) I am contemplating just sticking in a doubleDIN aftermarket stereo where the changer resides if I can't easily correct these faults. I would wire its outputs directly to the car's speakers and bypass the ML amps entirely, right? I'm thinking that is the simplest way to go. I've been a TV engineer (& car nut) for nearly 50 years and have seen plenty of odd device malfunctions, but this one is a classic. What would you do?
I would suspect that the previous owner(s) have managed to screw things up.
Old 06-29-17, 07:25 PM
clp71220
Driver School Candidate

saving this for later
Old 10-30-17, 03:16 AM
Dreamer38
Driver School Candidate

Hello friends! Need help! Stock Mark Levinson audio on my LS430 2001. My problem is that passenger side would produce more sound then the driver side, another words, front left and rear left speakers are sounds weak... From time to time sounds properly. What's maybe?...

Quick Reply: HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s