LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A year later...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 09:47 AM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A year later...

Hard to believe it's been a year since I bought my LS.

In review:

One of the most masterful pieces of engineering I've ever seen. Takes time to appreciate all the little details, and one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Over the past year, I have racked up 33,000 miles, and all of them in comfort. She still gets compliments on the way she looks, and passengers fight for the back seat (Ultimate Luxury package).

She's had a few items along the way, most of which I'd consider maintenance:

Maintenance wise:
all new filters
spark plugs
diff fluid
transmission fluid (not technically - but realistically)
the usual oil changes
brake pads and rotors
tires (twice... long story)
battery (the only time she left me stranded)
sway bar end links

Repairs wise:
Fixed the passenger side mirror
fixed the center console latch
Replaced both engine mounts (one died)
Coolant passage casting cover (used to be called a freeze plug)
Radiator (leaking from the plastic seam)
Thermostat (while you're in there)
Fan for the drivers seat warmer/cooler (not done yet)
Front control arm bushings (need to be done)

Overall, this has been an excellent ownership experience. Having come from BMW's and Dodge Ram diesels, it's one of the lower scale of repairs. The only repair that's been truly expensive is the fan for the front seat. Which sucks that it's the drivers side, but, oh well.

Most everything else I can attribute to age or mileage, and is good for another 100k plus. She never complains in 103* heat. The AC works great. She doesn't complain in extreme cold. She's stylish, even when dirty. And with 33k in the past year, it's been a marvelous companion on long trips. Fuel economy I consider to be excellent, given my driving habits and extended idle times.

She does eat tires. Big, heavy car, on fairly little rubber. First set wore out in relatively short time (Yokohama YK580's). Put on a set of BFG G-force Sport Comp II A/S. We will see how they do long term (only 3k on them).

She's fast, quiet, great stereo, supremely comfortable, even after 700 miles in a day, and been an excellent daily driver.

I have found 3 flaws:

1) The center console sucks. The cupholders are a joke. There isn't anywhere for my phone, and the console, though deep, doesn't make a good storage bin because it all gets lost.

2) The rear brake rotors warp. Why? Because someone did an excellent job making the front and rear brakes very similarly sized. And the front brakes have huge ducting vents that provide tons of fresh, cool air to them. The rears get none of that air ducting, and the brake bias is very equal (which is awesome). But it also means that on a twisty two lane mountain road, you cook a set of rear rotors every time. Shame. But...I get it, it's a luxo cruiser. Still. Sad.

3) There needs to be a 110V power outlet in the rear. Great space, love working from the backseat when I'm out on the road. But the additional power inverter is annoying. Would have been nice if that was included in the Ultimate Luxury package.

Overall it's one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I'm not sure it'll ever leave the fleet, just because it's so danged good. My only regret is not buying one years ago.
Old 01-17-16, 10:21 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ncsucarjoc

2) The rear brake rotors warp. Why? Because someone did an excellent job making the front and rear brakes very similarly sized. And the front brakes have huge ducting vents that provide tons of fresh, cool air to them. The rears get none of that air ducting, and the brake bias is very equal (which is awesome). But it also means that on a twisty two lane mountain road, you cook a set of rear rotors every time. Shame. But...I get it, it's a luxo cruiser. Still. Sad.
Rotors warp? I'd suggest you need to read the article below and consider your brake pads, how you install and break them in, and your braking habits. I'm not experiencing your problem and I haven't heard of others either.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 01-17-16, 10:58 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I have over almost 60k miles on my mxv4's. You might want to consider a different tire brand. I also have not had any issues with rotors but I don't live in the mountains.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-17-16 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 12:15 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the previous two posters in that tires have lasted a very long time on my UL and I've never warped the rear rotors. Done lots of mountainous driving.
Who calls their car 'she' nowadays? It's a car not a woman.
Old 01-17-16, 12:36 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

To the original poster. How many miles are on your car now?
Old 01-17-16, 12:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have lived 2 miles high. Hard on brakes they heat up on the descents like Tioga downshifted alot in my truck
Old 01-17-16, 12:53 PM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya'll don't know me - I get that. I rarely post here.

This isn't my first rodeo (in fact, it's more like rodeo 33 - as this is vehicle #33)... and I've owned a wide variety.

I'm also a trained automobile mechanic. This vehicle may be a big old sled, but it's not driven like one... so my tire usage is going to be much higher than most, and I tend to buy softer compounds of rubber, so they don't last as long. I will take that for the trade off of decreased lifespan for vastly improved grip. I typically go through a set of tires every 25k or so.

Brakes. Well... I've run EBC greenstuff pads and rotors on everything for a lot of years... I'm well aware of bedding pads and rotors. The problem with the LS is just not enough venting to the rear. The pads get too hot, deposit stuff on the rotors... creates a hot spot, creates a buildup, creates vibration... It's just a design flaw. I've spent several hours, three set of rotors, and a lot of research on this one.
I don't expect 99.999999% of you to have this issue. You simply won't drive that hard. I'm not shocked by this - and it's a problem I've had on almost every stock vehicle I've owned.

The Ram has much larger brakes than factory, as did the BMW's and Volvo's. This is a driving style issue, more than anything. Nonetheless, for a perfect car, it would need to be remedied. If these brakes were easily upgraded, I would do so.

As far as her name... Well... Historically machines, and specifically cars, engines, and guns have been given female names.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...chines/373219/

Pick on me if you like, but that's the history. Even the big Ram Diesel (weighs 8000#) is a female name... and she doesn't get "warped" rotors, even when driven at the limit (upgrading the brakes solved that).
Old 01-17-16, 01:29 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

If others are not warping rotors you might consider that there is something else going on. Warping rotors is not common at all. Are you using OEM pads? Then again, if you are abusing the brakes it would explain it. Consider cross drilled and slotted.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-17-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 06:18 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The G Force are rated well thanks get back to me on them, but you and I are the only ones who run Ultra HP A/S tires and I get comments from this forum they don't belong on the LS, fine. Most members buy tires which last 60-70k and lessen road feel for comfort versus handle crisply.

I have Pilot A/S 3's with 45k warrantee prolly get 25k out of em and get em prorated. I will buy em again. I drive it spirited often and with the right tires the LS can be alot of fun I agree.
I live in the cold, 7 below now, no mtns so can't comment on the warpage issue. My first one though I bought from a guy who lived in Palm Springs/Michigan. He easily could have put on some mountain miles and they where warped, cutting em was no help, warp came right back.

Cupholders and console are uninspiring. Glad you are enjoying yur baby.

Thanks for the update go Cats to the big game.
Old 01-17-16, 06:51 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Warped rotors are common on the LS430. I had it too.
Old 01-17-16, 08:36 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone with rotor issues used cyro treated rotors? I've heard really good things about them.
Old 01-18-16, 05:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I would disagree that warped rotors are common as very few people complain about it. I have yet to experience any warping but I also stick with OEM pads. Much easier to replace a pad then it is your rotors.
Old 01-18-16, 08:46 AM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My fronts were warped also.... well 1 of my fronts did. I verified it via a dial indicator. It was very noticeable with your eye also. Replaced them both with OEMs are now good as new.
Old 01-18-16, 08:54 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by TTBomB
My fronts were warped also.... well 1 of my fronts did. I verified it via a dial indicator. It was very noticeable with your eye also. Replaced them both with OEMs are now good as new.
I turned my rotors 5 years ago and the shake came back within 12 months. Never had a problem with the rears. I've learned to live with it as it is intermittent but annoying none the less.. When I replace one of my front wheel bearing hubs, I may replace the rotors with OEMs at the same time.
Old 01-18-16, 08:58 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

More than likely you have pad imprinting and not warped rotors. The symptoms are similar. It's nearly impossible to warp the rotors on these vehicles, however, if you heat them up enough and come to a stop with the brakes engaged, the pads will get hot enough to imprint on the rotors and create hot spots. You then get the shuddering that feels similar to a warped rotor. The imprinted pads create high spots that will never go away and if left long enough, can't be removed with machining because the metal structure of the rotor actually changes.

I'd suggest letting the brakes cool off by driving the car a bit. If you have to come to a complete stop after getting them very, very hot then use the e-brake to hold the car from moving or shift it into park so the rear pads are not engaging the rotors. Either that or you need to run ducting to the rear brakes. Get a fresh air source under the car and duct it to the rear rotor area.

Steve

Quick Reply: A year later...