LS430's and Dogs - Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 09:37 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS430's and Dogs - Problem Solved

Hi All -

Two of my best friends in the world are my two Tibetan Terriers, Ted and Bear who go with me virtually everywhere. Have been looking for some time now for some kind of dog blanket / seat protector for my recently purchased '02 CL w/ Ecru interior. Somehow dog blankets and Lexus's don't mix but think my problem has been solved

Came across the following from DuraGear which seems to fit pretty good, is fully washable and is reversible to a gray color instead of the tan shown in the pictures. It also is extremely well made and although it's yet to go through any paces other than local rides, it sure looks and feels substantial. Btw, it's easily installed and removed in a minute or two.

You can find it online by doing a search for Duragear Quilted Dog Blanket. No, I don't work for Duragear but thought a heads up might be of help ...

Will and the Fur Crew in the OC
Attached Thumbnails LS430's and Dogs - Problem Solved-img_0301-2-.jpg   LS430's and Dogs - Problem Solved-img_0304-2-.jpg  

Last edited by mewhee; 07-02-10 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-02-10, 09:40 AM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

omg dogs in a lexus lol i dont even let my friends ride in the back seat
Old 07-02-10, 09:52 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CelsiorAUS
Yeah, I know. It's almost sacrilegious but since they're more important to me than ANY car, this was the next best fix.

My better half and I have both an '06 and my '02 shown in the pics. They DON'T ride in the '06 so that leaves me w/ the honors. Truth be known, I've had dogs riding in my LS's going all the way back to '93. This is the first time I've found a seat protecter that actually looks and matches fairly well.

Works for me AND the Pups -

Will and the Furry Ones
Old 07-02-10, 09:58 AM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Well the covers do look great i must say. Kind of a VIP look lol
Old 07-02-10, 10:48 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

wait until they discover the fridge and back seat massager

they're traveling better than the driver
Old 07-03-10, 05:44 AM
JBLover
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is funny! I was all bent just the other day because I had to drop my bulldog off at boarding while we go on vacation. He sheds like crazy and sneezed about 4 times in the LS. I was trying my hardest not to get upset because he is such a good dog, but he is not gonna become a copilot any time soon.
Old 07-03-10, 05:54 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you protect the doors? My dog rides in the back seat of my extended cab Dakota and has her nose glued to the open swing-out windows. I could see my dog standing on those arm rests or with paws on the wood sniffing the windows.
Old 07-03-10, 05:59 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks like a nice product if you can deal with dogs in your car - me - I'm seriously way too OCD clean car maniac to do that. Dogs in the back seat of the pristine LS - u-uh - I don't think so - not ever. But a good reason to buy an old beater Suv or pickup!
Old 07-03-10, 07:44 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Looks like a nice product if you can deal with dogs in your car - me - I'm seriously way too OCD clean car maniac to do that. Dogs in the back seat of the pristine LS - u-uh - I don't think so - not ever. But a good reason to buy an old beater Suv or pickup!
You're 100% correct, Jabberwock, dogs and Ls's do not mix. The dog cover is simply Plan B and not the ideal solution if there even is one. Back at the turn of the millennium, we had 2 early 90's LS400's, one deep blue (better half's) and a silver w/ gray interior which was the dog car. In just over 3 years, the dogs managed to literally destroy the seats. Even tho the car ran beautifully, we wound up giving it to charity which probably sold at auction for a coupla' grand at best.

Replaced it w/ a 10 yr. old '96 Cad SLS specifically to be used as the dog car. Believe it or not, for some reason that leather held up way better than the LS's. Finally sold it (private party) and got the LS430 shown in the pics. Frankly, I truly missed the Lexus and its' incredible ride and build quality of which Cadillac doesn't come within a country mile.

Now I'm hoping the dog bed, along w/ regular spot cleaning will keep this 'new' lo mileage '02 LS430 from having its' upholstery ruined. Time will tell ...

Have a great 4th !

Will and the Furry Ones in the OC

Last edited by mewhee; 07-03-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-05-10, 03:46 AM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a good idea. I always take my dog for rides. He's half lab and half pit so he's not a small dog (50 lbs). Currently I use 2 huge blankets in the back seat. It's all good tho cause all he does is sit there...calmly.
Old 07-05-10, 04:10 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good - we use old blankets.
Old 07-05-10, 08:17 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tkbalt
Looks good - we use old blankets.
Was doing that too, but the blankets always wound up either in a ball or on the floor. The Duragear quilt in the original pics halfway down has special pockets with wedgelike tubes that you fit inside and shove in the space between the backs of the seats and the seat itself which keep it from moving around.

In all fairness, like Teamplayer above, our dogs Ted and Bear pretty much just sit there looking around and out the window and eventually lie down so the quilt stays put. A more active dog might keep it from staying in one place.

Good drivin' -

Will and the Fur Crew
Old 07-05-10, 09:00 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CelsiorAUS
wow.....how do you even have friends? lol
Old 07-05-10, 11:53 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone gets in my LS first they have to wash their hands, take off their shoes and put on booties.

I'm
Kidding!
Old 07-05-10, 02:17 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Dirty stuff, animals, and people ride in my truck.

Quick Reply: LS430's and Dogs - Problem Solved