LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Issues with Codes P0440,1,6

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 09:49 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it sounds like you need the VSV valve that is bolted on the charcoal canister, some people had luck replacing the VSV while the canister is still on the car"its very difficult though" Either way you would need a lift and not sure on the LS but on the gs you have to remove pass side axle shaft in order to remove the canister.
Old 09-30-14, 09:12 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

OK I know the last post to this thread was over a year ago but I don't like to keep starting new threads about the same issue. I have the same three codes but in my case I get a strong smell of exhaust (NOT GAS) under a hard acceleration so I would guess its a leak, not a valve sensor malfunction.

I checked the hose where the smoke test port is and they are all pretty loose but none appeared to be cracked and none weren't disconnected. From what I have researched on the web it seems the P0441 and P04446 code get tripped because of the P0440 code means a significant leak so the other codes are triggered because the system cant regulate flow and sets them off. I also read that the P0440 code is likely a leak from either the inlet or purge line. I know these codes have nothing to do with the cats, o2 sensors etc.

Since I have a strong exhaust smell under hard acceleration I would almost have to think its coming from one of the hoses under the hood. The other possible place would be from the tank to the canister but i don't i would get such a strong exhaust smell if it where coming from all the way in the back of the car.

Has anyone had these codes as well as the strong smell of exhaust under hard acceleration and if so what did you determine was the culprit? Maybe the codes and smell are two separate issues but it dint start happening until the engine light/codes were triggered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-01-14, 06:46 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
OK I know the last post to this thread was over a year ago but I don't like to keep starting new threads about the same issue. I have the same three codes but in my case I get a strong smell of exhaust (NOT GAS) under a hard acceleration so I would guess its a leak, not a valve sensor malfunction.

I checked the hose where the smoke test port is and they are all pretty loose but none appeared to be cracked and none weren't disconnected. From what I have researched on the web it seems the P0441 and P04446 code get tripped because of the P0440 code means a significant leak so the other codes are triggered because the system cant regulate flow and sets them off. I also read that the P0440 code is likely a leak from either the inlet or purge line. I know these codes have nothing to do with the cats, o2 sensors etc.

Since I have a strong exhaust smell under hard acceleration I would almost have to think its coming from one of the hoses under the hood. The other possible place would be from the tank to the canister but i don't i would get such a strong exhaust smell if it where coming from all the way in the back of the car.

Has anyone had these codes as well as the strong smell of exhaust under hard acceleration and if so what did you determine was the culprit? Maybe the codes and smell are two separate issues but it dint start happening until the engine light/codes were triggered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure about the codes but as far as the exhaust smell inside the cabin, ive having a problem with fumes getting inside my car while driving with the windows down, cracked, or sunroof open. I searched and searched but couldn't find the problem for the life of me. A few years back i noticed when closing a door with all other doors and windows shut, i would hear a thud or flap when closing the door. I eventually found that these cars have some sort of vent/pressure flap located on both sides of the trunk's lower quarter panels under the carpet and corner covers. Fast forward to last week, i noticed i didnt hear those thuds anymore when closing my door. Investigated and found that some how these flaps/vent had fallen off and was allowing exhaust fumes to be sucked in through the trunk into the cabin by a vacuum that it created when i opened a window or roof. Since i cant fix the vents at the moment, i plugged the with rags temporarily. I noticed the amount of fumes was reduced greatly and now i can cruise without having to breathe in toxic air. Even my girl would notice the smell when cruising sometimes. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing but its worth a look into. Hope this helps!