LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

detector invisicord and blendmount for ls

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 05:58 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I know this won't be popular, but I refuse to even think about a radar/laser detector. I think they are a device to allow one to intentionally break the law. I think that is morally wrong. I prefer to speed if I choose, but suffer the consequences if I chose to break the law and get caught.

This is now intended as a "holier than thou" flaunt in anyone's face. It's just how I think personally.
Old 10-03-11, 01:19 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I got a ticket in my old 86 Accord supposedly gong 20 over when the thing would shake apart at 10 over when I was just a kid. I learned then radar is not perfect and was going to do my best to never get "had" again. I am not sure really how to comment on your words but you are intentionally breaking the law going just 5 or 7 over to stay in traffic and fly under the radar of the law. 5 over versus 15 over make ya feel less of a law breaker?
Old 10-03-11, 01:34 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Or really better to address the point I feel you have to drive at least 7-8 over on our hwy's to be safe from folks always passing ya from the rear. I try to avoid consequences by protecting myself from the harsh realities of the freeway system. Morally wrong is one out of 8 people are on federal aid and 50 percent of folks pay no taxes. I will pay my fine if I get one happily driving my overengineered, licensed, insured, well upkept, serviced LS.
Old 10-03-11, 07:13 AM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I got a ticket in my old 86 Accord supposedly gong 20 over when the thing would shake apart at 10 over when I was just a kid. I learned then radar is not perfect and was going to do my best to never get "had" again. I am not sure really how to comment on your words but you are intentionally breaking the law going just 5 or 7 over to stay in traffic and fly under the radar of the law. 5 over versus 15 over make ya feel less of a law breaker?
Amen to Both your posts. One of the things that irks me most is when people drive 65 mph and not a mile over in the fast lane/passing lane. What makes me even more angy is when people drive 65 mph side by side on a a two or three lane section of the freeway with no intention of ever speeding up to get around that car. I then have to "carefully" maneuver my gracious gliding LS over two lanes of highway to go a respectable speed in the fast lane/passing lane. Often I drive in the middle lane after I pass people who are in the past lane to demonstrate to them it's OK to drive in the middle lane. But please don't tell that person who has a mile of traffic held up behind them that they are doing anything wrong! I mean, technically they are being a "law abiding citizen" but a they are being a careless and inconsiderate person to the majority of people who don't travel our low highway posted speed limit.

To be clear, I don't irresponsibly swerve in and out of traffic pulling a Fast and Furious move nor race people in rush hour traffic. But I think 75-80 mph is not a morally unjust speed limit especially when my dad who is a sheriff of 25 years and my pastor of just as many years do the same thing. Not saying they set the moral penecal but I don't look at them as evil sinners/immoral people for getting to where they need to go "swiftly". Nothing against you folks who drive 55 in the slow, 60 in the middle, and 66 in the fast lane, but I ask just one thing, "can you get the heck out of my way!" lol.
Rant over.
Old 10-03-11, 07:17 AM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I know this won't be popular, but I refuse to even think about a radar/laser detector. I think they are a device to allow one to intentionally break the law. I think that is morally wrong. I prefer to speed if I choose, but suffer the consequences if I chose to break the law and get caught.

This is now intended as a "holier than thou" flaunt in anyone's face. It's just how I think personally.
I understand where you are coming from, however I think I can speak for most people and say I know if we get caught we deserve it and we know what we did, SPEED. However a radar detector is not against the law (at least here in California), it just helps us "know" the law a little better
Old 10-03-11, 08:44 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by xJC350x
Amen to Both your posts. One of the things that irks me most is when people drive 65 mph and not a mile over in the fast lane/passing lane. What makes me even more angy is when people drive 65 mph side by side on a a two or three lane section of the freeway with no intention of ever speeding up to get around that car. I then have to "carefully" maneuver my gracious gliding LS over two lanes of highway to go a respectable speed in the fast lane/passing lane. Often I drive in the middle lane after I pass people who are in the past lane to demonstrate to them it's OK to drive in the middle lane. But please don't tell that person who has a mile of traffic held up behind them that they are doing anything wrong! I mean, technically they are being a "law abiding citizen" but a they are being a careless and inconsiderate person to the majority of people who don't travel our low highway posted speed limit.

To be clear, I don't irresponsibly swerve in and out of traffic pulling a Fast and Furious move nor race people in rush hour traffic. But I think 75-80 mph is not a morally unjust speed limit especially when my dad who is a sheriff of 25 years and my pastor of just as many years do the same thing. Not saying they set the moral penecal but I don't look at them as evil sinners/immoral people for getting to where they need to go "swiftly". Nothing against you folks who drive 55 in the slow, 60 in the middle, and 66 in the fast lane, but I ask just one thing, "can you get the heck out of my way!" lol.
Rant over.
I agree with you completely. It is necessary to drive whatever speed the traffic is flowing and not block traffic. That said, I will drive that average speed, even if it exceeds the speed limit (which most of time is the case on our freeways). One gage I use in that effort is simple to know. You are driving the average speed if you are passing just as many cars as are passing you. If I'm driving the speed limit and never pass a car while everyone is passing me, I'm driving too slow. I find the laser crusie control to be an ideal tool as long as the traffic is actually flowing at a higher rate of speed. I'll set it at +5 over the speed limit if that's the average speed of traffic. Then I drive in the middle or right lane and let the cruise control do the rest.

On interstates travel, I'll set the cruise at no more than +5. That's an accepted speed that highway patrol seems to allow without giving fines for speeding. If I get ticketed, that's on me.

But I have no desire to buy and use a radar detector to drive faster that. Hope that kind of expains where I'm coming from. No offense intended.
Old 10-04-11, 02:02 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Let us know how the blendmount rigs up!

If I may add, with so many questionable laws/occurances happening IMO, i.e. taxes for domestic partners healthcare (who's yur partner this week?), schooling and drivers licenses for illegals, politicians beholding to their interest groups versus their constituents, our boys in harms way in Afghanistan and Iraq, tax breaks to outsource US work and federal/state aid and healthcare becoming an entitlement versus a temporary stopgap and asking me to give more more more because I have the drive to work hard, get educated and be an asset not a drain on society, I do not feel guilty or immoral if I choose to drive fast smartly and safely and cover my patoosh from the law when I can pay the penalty and help out local government with more funds. I guess in my old age I am becoming a redneck.

Having said that as all mentioned above being offensive to me your opinion Jay is not as we all need to question more things lately and stand up to them for what we believe.
Old 10-04-11, 05:18 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I can imagine a number of forums where this discussion would have spiraled out of control. Thank you, gentlemen.
Old 10-04-11, 06:05 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I can imagine a number of forums where this discussion would have spiraled out of control. Thank you, gentlemen.
Yeah, no kidding. If this were on the SC400/SC300 forum, World War 3 would've broken out.

Does the LS430's windshield really make it harder to use a radar detector? I don't have radar anymore or else I'd try it myself.
Old 10-04-11, 07:58 AM
smm3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Yeah, no kidding. If this were on the SC400/SC300 forum, World War 3 would've broken out.

Does the LS430's windshield really make it harder to use a radar detector? I don't have radar anymore or else I'd try it myself.
I have used my V1 on the windshield without any problems. I just don't like the cord being in the way. I am trying to find out how I want it hardwired in the car. I also have the concealed display I am planning on using. Just need a location for it. Haven't had time to look into it yet.

To me a radar detector is about knowing where the "law" is, not necessarily speeding...although I do drive faster than the limit on the highway. It's way too easy since the LS is so smooth and stable.
Old 10-04-11, 09:49 AM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

So i talked to the customer service rep at blendmount yesterday evening before they had a chance to ship it out. I asked if this blendmount would work before I went through the hassle of receiving it, trying my hardest to make it work, and then going through the effory of sending it back if it doesn't. He had me take pics of the mirror setup on the car and e-mail them to him to see if it works. Well, long story short, I e-mailed the pics and about an hour later recieved a refund in my account for what I paid for the unit. Needless to say, the blendmount will not work. Bummer. So... any other solutiions?
On a good note, I am going to an audio shop tomorrow where I have all my cars done to get an ipod hookup and get the cord "hidden" for my 9500ix. They said they will hide the cord into the mirror or cigarette lighter so that I no longer have to use the cord and take up space on my cigarette lighter. I will let you guys know the results of that come tomorrow evening. I hope it turns out good. However, I will miss my mute button so easily reachable right by the cig lighter. I think there is a way to keep the mute button but you have to by a remote unit and mount it somewhere else. I don't know if thats worth all the trouble...
Old 10-04-11, 10:51 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I have seen a website that listed the LS as having a windshield that is not perfect for radar detectors. There was a long list. My LS had the windshield replaced before I got it and I am not sure if it is OEM or not but my detector works just great. I did not mean to pick a fight in the least just kinda venting. Morals and values I just feel have gone by the wayside in our society top to bottom.
Old 10-04-11, 11:40 AM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Morals and values I just feel have gone by the wayside in our society top to bottom.
+1
This, my friend, I agree with 100%.
Old 10-04-11, 11:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I continue to search for options and have one bookmarked, keep meaning to email the seller to ask about fitment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-VALENTINE...826#vi-content

Back of it doesn't look as elegant as the blendmount, but ugly/functional may be the price for finding one that fits.

xJC350x, since you've got pics, etc already set I wonder if you could ask them if you have a spare moment?

I've had my V1 hardwired into the mirror power for years (done by my stereo installer buddy unfortunately, so I didn't get pics) but tire of the V1 suction cup mount. I have it setup using the window visor clip right now. No issues with the windshield reducing effectiveness that I've ever noticed, even in my UL.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-04-11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-04-11, 09:47 PM
smm3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xJC350x
So i talked to the customer service rep at blendmount yesterday evening before they had a chance to ship it out. I asked if this blendmount would work before I went through the hassle of receiving it, trying my hardest to make it work, and then going through the effory of sending it back if it doesn't. He had me take pics of the mirror setup on the car and e-mail them to him to see if it works. Well, long story short, I e-mailed the pics and about an hour later recieved a refund in my account for what I paid for the unit. Needless to say, the blendmount will not work. Bummer. So... any other solutiions?
On a good note, I am going to an audio shop tomorrow where I have all my cars done to get an ipod hookup and get the cord "hidden" for my 9500ix. They said they will hide the cord into the mirror or cigarette lighter so that I no longer have to use the cord and take up space on my cigarette lighter. I will let you guys know the results of that come tomorrow evening. I hope it turns out good. However, I will miss my mute button so easily reachable right by the cig lighter. I think there is a way to keep the mute button but you have to by a remote unit and mount it somewhere else. I don't know if thats worth all the trouble...
Will be interested to see what you find out ....

Quick Reply: detector invisicord and blendmount for ls