LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

another going from UL to coilovers thread; my turn

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 10:29 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

new wheels, eh? i just may have some to sell you, if you are going for a more aggressive look... can't wait to see the pics! i may be in naptown saturday night. will let you know...
Old 04-29-10, 10:50 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah would love to see pics, then again wouldnt mind seeiing it in person.
Old 05-03-10, 08:27 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

my new daily ride height stance with the bc-racing coilovers. it is about 3-3.5 inches off the ground at its lowest part in the front. it does scrape a little on the underneath plastic covers so i have to be careful when driving in certain places. but the ride is so freaking awesome compared to how it was with the oem air struts. apparently this coilover feel (set to 5 clicks from full soft) is much more suiting to my driving style. i love it...

the car wasn't very clean since i drove it like 200 miles in a day and a half since the last wash, oh well.

my new hid's plus got it wired so i can run the hid fogs with my drl's.

new hid fogs with the normal oem hid's.. makes the oem hid headlights look old with these bright *** hid fogs.

Last edited by sojah; 05-03-10 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-03-10, 09:35 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good!
Old 05-03-10, 09:46 AM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

well good to hear this is working out better... man so many of us messing around with oem air and debate vs coils and all... btw, car looks good and stance....
Old 05-03-10, 10:36 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks for posting the pic! Car does look nice lowered like that. I like the pic next to the SC. It really shows how low the car appears next to a sports car
Old 05-03-10, 10:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

thanks, yeah i believe it sits a little lower than an sc as it is in those pics and right now. i am very pleased with it.
Old 05-03-10, 12:30 PM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw it in person and the stance was nice on the coils. His drive height is not too far off the 'L' setting with the controller. Sojah, we should have taken a picture when we were parked side by side to see the difference.
Old 05-03-10, 01:29 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

^ ^ ^ yeah man i was just thinking about that myself. well hopefully we will get another chance in the coming weeks or months. i sent out that controller today so thanks for making that possible. traffic was so horrible on 495 after leaving that meet, what time did you stay till?
Old 05-03-10, 02:59 PM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car looks very good with that stance, glad you have no regrets about the swap. did you rewire your foglights yourself? if so, is it a pain? i need some help on this.
Old 05-03-10, 03:06 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

^ ^ ^ paid a stereo shop to do it since they were messing with my sat radio trying to fix it. they had to wire a separate switch (and button) that is very discrete and looks almost factory down by the smart key buttons. don't have their wire diagram but i choose to have the ability to turn mine on after the parking lights are already on, this way they would still auto turn on and auto turn off like factory... really sets ur car apart when driving to those that know the deal...
Old 05-03-10, 04:02 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great. Stance is pretty low for a daily driver for me though, I would never make it through some of the streets and driveways I drive through
Old 05-03-10, 04:10 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ride quality just went out the roof.
Old 05-03-10, 06:32 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

See but that is were the debate comes in. What would u define as ride quality? I think I can guess ur definition and in this case I may have lost some of the pillowy feel, but I rode around lowered and insport since the day I bought it and on low pros most of the time too. I never liked the lincoln town car feel of our ls's since day one but I did love the oem lowered air feel in sport mode and that is what I just lost. I did however gain a more firm sporty lowered stance and feel and although it does feel worse over bumps it feels much better while turning, and I do mean much better. I hated the body roll and understear of the ls 430 and I have just eliminated a lot of that, but I did take on a harsher bounce and rebound so I guess u have to take the good with the bad. Its definitely not for the old man cadi or towncar purist.

So I guess u would have paid top dollar to replace the oem stuff, or would u have taken it a step further and not had the datasystems controller in the first place?
Old 05-03-10, 07:40 PM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
See but that is were the debate comes in. What would u define as ride quality? I think I can guess ur definition and in this case I may have lost some of the pillowy feel, but I rode around lowered and insport since the day I bought it and on low pros most of the time too. I never liked the lincoln town car feel of our ls's since day one but I did love the oem lowered air feel in sport mode and that is what I just lost. I did however gain a more firm sporty lowered stance and feel and although it does feel worse over bumps it feels much better while turning, and I do mean much better. I hated the body roll and understear of the ls 430 and I have just eliminated a lot of that, but I did take on a harsher bounce and rebound so I guess u have to take the good with the bad. Its definitely not for the old man cadi or towncar purist.

So I guess u would have paid top dollar to replace the oem stuff, or would u have taken it a step further and not had the datasystems controller in the first place?
i agree with sojah, i swap out my oem air suspension for coilovers a month ago and i am happy with the way my car rides and stance.my car is a little lower then sojah but i like the way it rides. it's not as comfortable as stock ride but the comfort is still there and the handling and cornering is way much better compare to the oem air suspension. i guess each person have their own opinion and yes, you have to take the good with the bad. i agree completely with what sojah said above.

Quick Reply: another going from UL to coilovers thread; my turn