LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 07:56 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
Service ramps on the front wheels and jack stands on the rear pinch welds. I use hocky pucks on the pinch welds to keep from bending them.
Isn't it dangerous if the jack stand(s) fail and car rolls down the ramp? I have never used or tried to buy jack stands for this fear.
I am thinking of using two more ramps and slide them under in the other direction.
Old 04-20-14, 10:14 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Isn't it dangerous if the jack stand(s) fail and car rolls down the ramp? I have never used or tried to buy jack stands for this fear.
I am thinking of using two more ramps and slide them under in the other direction.
The service ramps are flat and level on top with a back stop you have to drive over. The car can't roll. Never the less I add additional 2x4s to stop the wheels. I feel more secure this way than using 4 jack stands which I also have but am paranoid a good earthquake could topple the car. The service ramps can't tilt and the car can't roll.
Old 04-21-14, 06:49 PM
blematta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about actual transmission failure

As the owner of a 2004 LS with just shy of 90,000 miles,and having never done a transmission fluid change, I have followed this thread with interest. While I see many comments about when and if to replace/flush transmission fluid, I don't recall seeing any discussion of transmissions actually failing, at any mileage. Are fellow members aware of any LS transmission failures, due to bad fluid or any other reason?
Thanks!
Old 04-21-14, 07:17 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by blematta
As the owner of a 2004 LS with just shy of 90,000 miles,and having never done a transmission fluid change, I have followed this thread with interest. While I see many comments about when and if to replace/flush transmission fluid, I don't recall seeing any discussion of transmissions actually failing, at any mileage. Are fellow members aware of any LS transmission failures, due to bad fluid or any other reason?
Thanks!
Yes, I have seen some threads about the failures.
There was a recent one just last week but failures appear to be rare.

A761 is shared with some other vehicles as well.
I make short trips and I had transmission fail on another "sealed" transmission. I don't want to take any risks.
Old 04-22-14, 09:59 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The transmissions are a true engineering feat. One of the most reliable in Lexus vehicles. But they definitely perform and shift much better with revitalized fluid. With the additives up to par, the clutch packs function better. It is definitely a smart preventive maintenance decision.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-22-14 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 12:55 PM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I sparked up this conversation with my dad while getting some non-related maintenace done. The service manager(or owner of the shop) was apparently intrigued that I was telling my dad that changing the fluid on certain vehicles could lead to transmission performance issues or even failure. He totally butted in the conversation adding that you should rarely, if ever, flush a transmission after 90K miles. He mentioned many cases where either the transmission failed due to the settled stuff at the bottom getting churned up and messing up some internal component, and also where the tranny would slip afterward because the new fluid was too viscous for the old plates. He explained the old tranny oil had a modified friction coefficient that was actually to the older transmission's benefit. He recommended a drain and fill only on transmissions with more than 100K miles already to just "freshen up" the fluid a bit, but not too much. I've had several car guys(not all mechanics) tell me the same. I'd consider the freshen up, but then again, at my rate I should be able to get a whole 50K miles and 5 years before I will worry about it. I'm at 175K now with no problems.
Old 04-22-14, 04:20 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Correct. Drain and refill has always been the smartest way. Plus it's only $99 at my local dealer.
Old 04-23-14, 08:05 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I did purchase 6 quarts of WS fluid and plan on getting around to doing a drain and fill within the next few weeks... Whatever comes out, I'll put the same amount back in.
Old 04-23-14, 05:23 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I did purchase 6 quarts of WS fluid and plan on getting around to doing a drain and fill within the next few weeks... Whatever comes out, I'll put the same amount back in.
Are you going to do drain and refill multiple times? I only got 4 quarts thinking I won't need more than 3.5 or so.
Old 05-10-14, 04:47 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Finally did drain and refill today. yeah.
Drove car on the ramps.
Jacked up the rear and supported by jack stands.
First checked ATF from overflow plug. It was full and dripped a little. Didn't look bad at first.
Opened up drain plug. 1 qt 24 oz came out.
Lowered the rear and got some extra out. Total 1 qt 30 oz came out. Maybe another 1 oz was stuck to the pan.
Jacked up rear again.
Put the drain plug back on.
I had bought 2 Fram sure drain valves, one for oil and one for the transmission overflow plug, but unfortunately transmission bolts are smaller than oil drain.
I made my own contraption with a funnel, 3/8" tube, and another smaller tube. Smaller tube fit perfectly in the overflow plug.
I fed ATF from funnel as if transmission was a patient. lol. Gravity did it's trick.
I fed 2 qts and started the engine. .Tubing was still attached to the overflow plug.
Went through the gears. Removed the tubing. Got some overflow.Connected tubing again and fed some more ATF. Checked the transmission temperature with hands only. (Body temperature is about 98 degrees. You need transmission between 115 and 130 degrees).
Went through the gears one more time.
Removed the tube and let excess drip out.
Put the overflow plug back on.
Took pictures of new and old fluid. It is not only the bad color but I could see dirt as I was pouring it.

.By the way I was able to locate the cover on the fill plug. It was hard to get driver in there and I didn't have right size wrench.. Next time I am going to open it and see if I can attach a fill tube.
Attached Thumbnails 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)-img_0238-2-.jpg  
Old 05-10-14, 04:51 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Nice! How does she drive?
Old 05-10-14, 05:02 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Finally did drain and refill today. yeah.
Drove car on the ramps.
Jacked up the rear and supported by jack stands.
First checked ATF from overflow plug. It was full and dripped a little. Didn't look bad at first.
Opened up drain plug. 1 qt 24 oz came out.
Lowered the rear and got some extra out. Total 1 qt 30 oz came out. Maybe another 1 oz was stuck to the pan.
Jacked up rear again.
Put the drain plug back on.
I had bought 2 Fram sure drain valves, one for oil and one for the transmission overflow plug, but unfortunately transmission bolts are smaller than oil drain.
I made my own contraption with a funnel, 3/8" tube, and another smaller tube. Smaller tube fit perfectly in the overflow plug.
I fed ATF from funnel as if transmission was a patient. lol. Gravity did it's trick.
I fed 2 qts and started the engine. .Tubing was still attached to the overflow plug.
Went through the gears. Removed the tubing. Got some overflow.Connected tubing again and fed some more ATF. Checked the transmission temperature with hands only. (Body temperature is about 98 degrees. You need transmission between 115 and 130 degrees).
Went through the gears one more time.
Removed the tube and let excess drip out.
Put the overflow plug back on.
Took pictures of new and old fluid. It is not only the bad color but I could see dirt as I was pouring it.

.By the way I was able to locate the cover on the fill plug. It was hard to get driver in there and I didn't have right size wrench.. Next time I am going to open it and see if I can attach a fill tube.
That's exactly how my fluid looked my sc430 with 25K miles on the odometer. Glad I didn't wait to change it. I ended up doing it 4 times (8 qts). Once a few weeks ago and 3 times today. The fluid coming out of the overflow tube looks brand new which is a little suprising because I know each time I drained two qts I was draining more and more new fluid and less and less old fluid each time I did it do to mixing. I'll do it again in 10K miles. I figured I'd do it every other oil change.

When you let the engine idle during the overflow check procedure, did you leave it in neutral or park?

Heres' what mine looked like:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...25k-miles.html
Old 05-10-14, 05:14 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Nice! How does she drive?
I only drove maybe 1/4 mile in the neighborhood. I didn't experience any issues but didn't notice any improvement either. I will know tomorrow when I go out and drive some decent distance..

I think the total transmission capacity is 11.6 quarts. If so, I don't know mow much difference 2 quarts is going to make.

I changed engine oil as well so it will be hard to correlate the improvement.

I might do few more drain and refills. What came out wasn't pretty.
Regardless, this is going to be my ritual along with next several oil changes.

And yeah, thanks sorka for tips on ramps and jack stands.
Old 05-10-14, 05:45 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by sorka
When you let the engine idle during the overflow check procedure, did you leave it in neutral or park?
I left it in Park.
Now I remember from my other vehicle with sealed transmission that I am supposed to leave it in neutral.
Is this a big issue?
Old 05-11-14, 07:06 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Today I drove the car after yesterday's ATF fluid change.
Car drove nice but as usual.
I didn't have any issues to start with so I guess it is the same for now but I feel that I am on my path to avoid potential future issues.

By the time people get shifting issues transmission is already damaged.
By the time people discover thick and burnt fluid it is too late to refresh. Now they have to wait for eventual demise of their transmission.

Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)