LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air suspension!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 02:03 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr Pitbull,

Shocks are designed as a " wear item ". It used to be " replace every 30k miles " these days the roads and shocks are better so they last longer.

Tdvlexo,

How much ?????
Old 04-02-10, 02:32 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the system is pretty reliable for an air ride system. It really depends on where you live and how you drive.

Hopefully another company will start selling re-manufactured struts to lower the high cost of new ones, but my doubts are high since demand isn't great yet (maybe in a couple of more years.)

The system offers a lot of advantages, and failure is one of the disadvantages that come with the package. You can replace them with regular struts and springs from any similar year LS, should be plug and play. Or purchase a Lexus extended warranty to help lower costs slightly (thats what i did).
Old 04-02-10, 06:51 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

Originally Posted by gldndrgn14
drpatel77, off topic, but who is that in your sig?
search for GRACE PARK she stars in galactica station or something like that..... she had this one photoshoot (believe for maxim) in which she looks AMAZING....!!!
Old 04-07-10, 06:38 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a quick question for those who have had their air suspension go out. Could you tell a strut was about to fail? If so, how? Some people have complained about air leaking but I don't know if that was a sign that the suspension was about to fail.
Old 04-07-10, 07:05 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Shocks are a wear and tear item. They can go at anytime. I didn't get a UL because I didn't want to deal with the cost and having the chance of my car not being level, etc.. I don't see how people expect them to last 100K+. Sure it's a Lexus but nobody has really perfected an air suspension setup that I know of. MB, Lincoln, and others sure had it sets of problems too.
Old 04-07-10, 10:38 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leak leak baby...

Originally Posted by CDW91
.... I don't see how people expect them to last 100K+. Sure it's a Lexus but nobody has really perfected an air suspension setup that I know of. MB, Lincoln, and others sure had it sets of problems too.
exactly. Like I said, it's basically pumping air in and out of a bag. Over the life of say 100K, it's probably gone through over 1M flex cycles around the seams, without even having changed the ride height.

If I had a UL, I would honestly not expect anything over 80K and if I were to get 120K? I'd be running to church to thank the lord.
Old 04-07-10, 11:25 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I have a little over 140K on them without any problems. *knock on wood*

I just wish I could tell before hand if they were about to fail.
Old 04-07-10, 11:54 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine just started to feel really funny. i have an 05 UL lowered on datasystems controller (ride around on 8 normally) plus lowered on ss kit which really shouldn't bother the air susp at all. anyways i first noticed last week that my rear right started to be a little higher than normal, then the rear left started to sag a little lower than normal. then whenever driving down the highway and hitting any bumps instead of the car going up and down like normal it has a large roll left to right feel as well as an off balance up and down feel only in the rear. i feel like i'm riding in a bouncy water bed now that is all sloshing around instead of solid and firm like it used to be. when the road is completely flat it feels fine but any bumps or dips make it slosh around left to right so i think my rear is letting me know its almost time to replace.

if it hasn't gotten any better when i pick it up this saturday (magically fixing it self by sitting for a few days) after getting bumpers repainted, i will prolly be getting some bc coilovers to replace the air susp and then selling my controller and ss kit.

btw car had exactly 60k when i started noticing this.

Last edited by sojah; 04-07-10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 11:58 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer01
So far I have a little over 140K on them without any problems. *knock on wood*

I just wish I could tell before hand if they were about to fail.
I didn't have any indication on my 04 UL. Recently, at 56,500 miles,I had the car in for service at my Lexus dealer and they detected oil leaking from the left rear shock. It hadn't leaked enough to see anything on the garage floor, so I had no indication of a failure. I don't think this helps answer your question, as early detection and replacement didn't allow me to experience any difference in how the car handled because of this.

I have the Lexus Platinum Warranty and it was done at no charge, although they listed the shock at $1098 and labor at $260.

There is more than just air bags in the air suspension that can fail.
Old 05-26-14, 11:04 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
What is considered "faulty?" They're blowing at sometimes around 80K, 120K, some don't go even at 150K. With respect to this great forum, we're also taking the forum members that have issues as being some vast majority, when in fact 100% of the forum may equate to only 10% of the general LS populance.

If they were going at 25K, 30K, and everyone (on forum with UL) was experiencing it, then there is definitely grounds for a recall or campaign.

Finally, basically the air suspension is a bag in the suspension system that is being filled and released with air. That bag is not indestructable (obviously) it's going to break sooner or later. I would imagine the rougher the road, the more you adjust the level, temperature/weather, etc. will all affect the wearlife of the system.

Yes, we like to say the LS is "bulletproof" but I just don't think it's fair to think that every little mechanical item that will wear down, is something the manufacturer has to cover for life... which is exactly what some people are expecting.

just my 2c worth.
It blows my mind how people can write off problems with some sort of excuse. Why not EXPECT the best in reliability and then demand it, instead of finding ways to excuse it. Yes I do realize that the Lexus brand, particularly the LS series is without a doubt THE MOST RELIABLE CAR EVER MADE, but at the same time don't be so quick to dismiss an EXPENSIVE issue like air suspension and relegate it to merely being a problem of inflated forum statistics, or standard wear and tear due to mileage.
Nonsense! It is NOT too much to ask for an air suspension, especially on a Lexus, to last 300,000+ at the very least. But finding ways to excuse the problem won't come close to helping the cause for improvement.
Old 05-26-14, 02:41 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
It blows my mind how people can write off problems with some sort of excuse. Why not EXPECT the best in reliability and then demand it, instead of finding ways to excuse it. Yes I do realize that the Lexus brand, particularly the LS series is without a doubt THE MOST RELIABLE CAR EVER MADE, but at the same time don't be so quick to dismiss an EXPENSIVE issue like air suspension and relegate it to merely being a problem of inflated forum statistics, or standard wear and tear due to mileage.
Nonsense! It is NOT too much to ask for an air suspension, especially on a Lexus, to last 300,000+ at the very least. But finding ways to excuse the problem won't come close to helping the cause for improvement.
The LS430 Air suspension IS much more reliable them any manufacturer I can think of. The reality is, rubber air bags degrade and fail over time. Nobody makes airbags that go 400K and last for 20 years. They don't exist. Some people have tremendous mileage on the on the air suspension in both the LS400 and 430 section. You also rarely hear of other issues besides the bags starting to leak. Normal shocks do not last 300k miles. Most don't even last half that long. Personally, I don't think Lexus dropped the ball at all. Air shocks do not last like you suggest. Not in commercial applications (tractor trailers) and not in the LS430. It's not realistic of the technology and how they are made.
Old 05-26-14, 03:26 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I whole heartily agree that the air suspension is very reliable when compared to other vehicles that employ air suspension (i'm thinking mostly of Mercedes). I believe driving dynamics and road conditions also dictate how soon the air struts will go bad. Non-air suspension struts, generally speaking, usually should be replaced @ 100-150k mark to maintain the OEM suspension feel. Granted, when air suspension fails or starts leaking, I think the effect is more dramatically felt in everyday driving. The car was almost unbearable on rough roads with 2 bad front air struts and LCA bushings. I think of air suspension as almost a preventative maintenance measure to prepare for every 100k miles, maybe a bit sooner or a bit later. LCA bushings, I prepare for every 100k miles or 8 years.

Nearly all suspension is a wear/tear category. With age and mileage, the suspension will eventually wear down. It doesn't stay in a brand new OEM condition. If they're not wear and tear then are tires, brake rotors, brake pads, LCA bushings, or tie rods?

Pamperme, it seems like you had an 04 with 168k miles in 2012. How's it holding up?

Last edited by writes123; 05-26-14 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-26-14, 04:12 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Their is also plenty of other issues you could potentially have but time have proven very good so far. Height sensors and relay switches. Compressor and ecu to control everything. The air lines and extra electrical wiring. You rarely hear of even a height sensor going bad let alone the much more expensive control system. Lexus did a great job.
Old 05-26-14, 05:27 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Once again, nothing but excuses, pacification, and settling. I'll not agree to any of such thinking! It reminds me of the way the car manufactures wailed with excuses or how they tried to present comparisons of other crash tests where they fared better when the IIHS was failing cars left and right because of poor crash performances in the "then new" offset crash test in the mid 90's. Automakers threw a fit, and complained that a positive expectation from such a crash was unrealistic, not possible, too expensive and so forth. But guess what, now a manufacture wouldn't be caught with a vehicle that couldn't withstand it. Customers demanded better and low and behold, they got it! Now all the naysayers are reaping the benefits (free loaders).
An air suspension CAN be designed to last 300,000+ miles. But it DEFINATELY won't so long as a pessimistic attitude stands in the way.

Regarding my 04, the car is an absolute pleasure to own. I can't see myself going anywhere else. Thanks for asking!!

Last edited by Pamperme; 05-26-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-26-14, 05:33 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

You are just going to have to come to terms with it... I would love to see some kind of example of an aftermarket or oem product that CAN be designed to last this long.

Quick Reply: Air suspension!!!