LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Low fuel can harm the fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 05:32 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Low fuel can harm the fuel pump

Just thought I would mention this as many people I have spoken to don't know that fuel itself helps cool the fuel pump. I recently helped a good friend replace another fuel pump after it failed within 3 years. He is notorious for running the fuel down to minimum. Although it does not seem like a common failure on our cars I just thought I would mention it for good practices. I always try to fill mine back up around a 1/4 of a tank. I think this is even more important if you live in a warm climate.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-29-15 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-29-15, 09:55 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Yep, it does indeed.

I'm always getting on my wife about this, but it's a futile cause. It seems like everytime I get in her car, the needle is on empty or the low fuel light comes on.

You can also get in a situation where the only thing left in the tank when it's really low is all the accumulated garbage over the years like varnish and water.

In this era where we have these absurd Ethanol mandates, I see this sort of thing being a bigger issue as the Ethanol attracts water and can make it accumulate in your fuel tank.
Old 05-29-15, 10:02 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Yep, it does indeed.

I'm always getting on my wife about this, but it's a futile cause. It seems like everytime I get in her car, the needle is on empty or the low fuel light comes on.

You can also get in a situation where the only thing left in the tank when it's really low is all the accumulated garbage over the years like varnish and water.

In this era where we have these absurd Ethanol mandates, I see this sort of thing being a bigger issue as the Ethanol attracts water and can make it accumulate in your fuel tank.
Whether your tank is full or near empty, water is always at the bottom as it's heavier than gas.
Old 05-29-15, 11:08 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sure it does, it's just common sense how it would go bad if you leave your fuel at the minimum all the time. Dirty particles will sink deep down and when you're low on fuel your engine will start soaking all that in.

Knew lots of cars that had this problem.

Easy rule to follow. Never let the fuel go under the last quarter, that's what I do to remember.

Thanks for the reminder Lav.
Old 05-29-15, 11:22 AM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the heads up. I'm guilty of letting the tank get below the empty line as recently as yesterday

in a 15 year old car, i'm sure there is no shortage of mysterious particles at the bottom of the tank. i'll try to be better

in other news, i did get a whopping 504 miles on my last tank which is fantastic
Old 05-29-15, 12:08 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by swfla
Whether your tank is full or near empty, water is always at the bottom as it's heavier than gas.
This is from Honda's website:

" ethanol in the gasoline attracts water. Initially it mixes with the ethanol, but at higher concentrations it separates and settles to the lowest point, which leads to corrosion and starting and running problems. The lower the fuel level in the tank, the more likely you will experience water contamination."

It makes a difference the concentration that gets sucked up.

Also, a nearly empty gas tank allows more condensation to build up because there's more moist air in the tank.
Old 05-29-15, 12:59 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
This is from Honda's website:

" ethanol in the gasoline attracts water. Initially it mixes with the ethanol, but at higher concentrations it separates and settles to the lowest point, which leads to corrosion and starting and running problems. The lower the fuel level in the tank, the more likely you will experience water contamination."

It makes a difference the concentration that gets sucked up.

Also, a nearly empty gas tank allows more condensation to build up because there's more moist air in the tank.
Gee guys, I just stated a fact. I made no judgement or said that anyone is wrong. Please don't pick on me or read more into my post. Thank you.
Old 05-29-15, 01:48 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by swfla
Gee guys, I just stated a fact. I made no judgement or said that anyone is wrong. Please don't pick on me or read more into my post. Thank you.
I think you're over reacting.

I was just inserting additional information because your post seemed to indicate you think it doesn't matter how much fuel is in your tank or whether it's near empty because the water is heavier and will collect at the bottom anyway.
Old 05-29-15, 01:56 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Thanks for your response. I can see how one could interpret my post differently.
Old 05-30-15, 07:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I seem to be riding on empty all the time, been that way for years, very bad habit.

Yes the fuel acts as a coolant to keep the pump cool in most cars, but its still safe to run the car to 1/8th or so, that's how its designed, the red light warning system is there for a reason, its time to fill up.

You would be astonished at how far you can drive after the red light comes on, Ive easily gotten 75 kms running on empty, but you are doing a disservice to your car, mainly the fuel pump.

I don't buy into the myth about fuel particles and garbage in the tank, for one our tanks don't rust like they used too, open up a fuel tank from an ls430 and I bet you its clean enough to eat out of.

If there is gunk it would sink to the bottom anyways , and would be sucked up on start ups and just general use, that's what the fuel filters are for.

Its a good idea to keep your tank filled, but don't start panicking if you get low once in a while, especially if the red light hasn't came on yet.
Old 05-30-15, 08:17 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What car does he drive?
Old 05-30-15, 09:32 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Any protologist's on this thread who can run a protoscope down the fuel tank to verify contamination?
Old 05-30-15, 09:33 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been on this site since I think Oct 2008 never heard of a fuel pump going bad?
Old 05-30-15, 09:54 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There has been only one instance when I ran out of gas completely so my ls shut off. When superstorm Sandy hit it was a disaster. There was no fuel available for some time so I went to Jersey to find gas. I found what seemed to be the last gas station that actually had gas with a line of cars stretching 4-5 blocks. The last three blocks i had to push my LS - thas was a PITA.
Old 05-31-15, 04:20 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Robles84
What car does he drive?
I think you are asking me what car my friend drives? It's an 04 Chevorlet Blazer ZR2. It has 236k on the original engine and transmission. Not too bad considering you usually seems tons of them in the junk yards.

As mentioned, this is not common in our LS's but with other vehicles and cheaper fuel pumps it may well play a roll in premature failures.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-31-15 at 04:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Low fuel can harm the fuel pump