LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Finally, an LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 12:50 AM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally, an LS430

After viewing countless internet ads (consistently for perhaps the better part of 3 years), I found myself in Los Angeles in mid February (via one way ticket) with a few good looking LS430's to view!...and I guess I was on vacation too...

My girlfriend convinced me to spend the first few days enjoying the weather (low 80's) on the beach, Rodeo Drive and Sunset Blvd (all of which was really great) but I reminded her that although it was beautiful out and we both needed a relaxing vacation, I was also on a serious mission to see if I didn't have to book a last minute return flight home.

I eventually decided to go ahead with a one owner, clean title/cfax, '05, Mercury Metallic on Ecru, premium with 62K on it. Caddyowner let me in on the fact I could check service history on Lexus.com so I did. This one was at Lexus of Glendale every 5,000. I considered what others told me about ML, CL and UL packages which are without a doubt superior and more desirable. I decided I would add my own aftermarket nav (air controls remain independent where things see -40C regularly) and stereo upgrades so this package ended up working for me (I wasn't super particular this time, I wanted the engine and the comfort mostly).

I was amazed at how clean the California cars are on the inside, outside and undercarriage. The paint is original and is in surprisingly good condition. The vehicle is in overall excellent shape and the colour combination is exactly what I wanted. I also was amazed at the price of luxury vehicles in LA. Maybe it's the uber Jones' trying to keep up with the uber Jones' but the price tags on all luxury vehicles blew my mind...Or maybe it's because in Canada the gouging is absurd.

So I was thrilled to join the LS430 club and it's just as good a vehicle to enjoy as I thought it would be. I got well acquainted with her on the 1900 mile, 3 day voyage home ( I like the word voyage because I think of the LS as a land yacht). As I travelled up I15 for those 3 days I couldn't be happier. The car is so comfortable it feels like a couch with a steering wheel once you put on the cruise. The passing power is great in power mode and the headlamps are AMAZING!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with buying advice (even if I didn't completely follow it and get a upgraded package) I now know what you all have been enjoying and it's sweet!

PS Importing is easy and cost effective if anyone ever has to do it.
Old 03-18-10, 12:53 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad to hear you joined the club, I love my LS and jumped from a GS, which I still have.. Im glad you liked that drive because I just did it (well from vegas to SF) and I love how the car drove... when it was still stock!@

-David
Old 03-18-10, 02:54 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Welcome ! I had a LS400 and moved to a 430...Kind of miss some minor things about my old LS but, I love my 430, the best car I have ever owned to date.
Old 03-18-10, 03:01 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1900 miles of fun... must have felt like 100 miles. glad you joined the "club."

Now... some pics of your beaut.
Old 03-18-10, 05:14 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Ya importing is much easier and less daunting then you would think.
Did you talk to Lexus Canada about their stance in regards to warranty work on an American vehicle?
Old 03-18-10, 05:25 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the find (and the vacation). I'm a bit confused about the color combination and trim level, though. The 05 brochure lists the following available interiors with mercury metallic (silver):

- Black (all trim levels)
- Ash (gray, premium and ML)
- Ecru (light beige / off white, UL & CL only)

According to the brochure, your color combination of silver with ecru interior was not available on a premium.
Old 03-18-10, 06:03 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Congrats - California cars are excellent bets - there can be exposure to salt air if its a car that was kept very close to the beach buts that's usually minor compared to exposure to wet salted winter roads. Might it be a cashmere interior?
Old 03-18-10, 06:35 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Any LS430 is a pleasure to own no matter what trim, just an amazing car periord.
Old 03-18-10, 11:50 AM
SteveM
Driver

Sorry Caddy my mistake, the interior is Ash grey. I thought the Ecru was the grey colour. I also don't know the names for the wood options but it's the medium brown almost a caramel colour.

Lexus Canada said they would honour the factory warranty but at this point the car is alomost out of that range for most components. I was told that CPO isn't transferable though so I didn't look for one. I focused on a solid service history.

The 1900 miles did feel quite short due to the enjoyment of the car but so many miles in 3 days had lights going on for cabin air filter and oil change (which at first I was concerned about because "Maint Req'd" sounds more serious than "Oil has reached 5000K". Just regular maintenance.

I've always privacy tinted my vehicles (not the 5% but fairly dark all around except windshield). I was certain I would do the same on the LS but I'm not so sure I want to do it now. Anyone have any comments on that? I like the tint for privacy but the boys in blue don't like it and friends have told me it might reduce the class of the car. Any thoughts?

Either way the car is a pleasure to drive and I'm thrilled. I'm glad that in my car shopping none of the distractions of other potential options made me stray from what I really wanted. It still has Cali plates on it which I'm keeping for a while for nostalgic reasons before I register locally. God Bless America

Last edited by SteveM; 03-18-10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Missed Capital
Old 03-18-10, 12:26 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Limo

Originally Posted by SteveM
I've always privacy tinted my vehicles (not the 5% but fairly dark all around except windshield). I was certain I would do the same on the LS but I'm not so sure I want to do it now. Anyone have any comments on that? I like the tint for privacy but the boys in blue don't like it and friends have told me it might reduce the class of the car. Any thoughts?
I'm all for tint, love the limo look. Privacy and keeps the interior temp lower. I have 20 back and 50 front sides. Looks sharp.
Old 03-18-10, 01:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

roadtrip on a new used! congrats on the LS and glad that you enjoyed socal
Old 03-18-10, 10:57 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=SteveM;5324213]Sorry Caddy my mistake, the

Window tint looks great on the LS. I get compliments from everybody. It looks more executive that way. I personally went with Limo in the back and 20% in the front. I like privacy lol and it definitely looks classy
Attached Thumbnails Finally, an LS430-0103001605.jpg   Finally, an LS430-1204092139.jpg  
Old 03-19-10, 04:23 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Tint on the our cars looks great, plus a good way to protect the leather.
Old 03-19-10, 05:32 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
........I also was amazed at the price of luxury vehicles in LA. Maybe it's the uber Jones' trying to keep up with the uber Jones' but the price tags on all luxury vehicles blew my mind...Or maybe it's because in Canada the gouging is absurd. ......

How much did you save buying the car in the U.S.A. ?
Old 03-19-10, 07:46 PM
poopsnack
Driver School Candidate

congrats! i am new as well, and bought a one way ticket for my car, too. Gettigna Cali car was definitely smart. I think tint will be great. Do you use ceramic or standard?

And what is this about getting service records from lexus.com? I want IN!!!!

Quick Reply: Finally, an LS430