LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

which processor in gps handling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 10:06 PM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which processor in gps handling?

Does anyone know? Specifically, for the 2006 LS430 Ultra. I'm trying to reverse engineer it so that it will drop the annoying habits. Like the lawyer screen.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-10, 11:05 PM
adams430
Driver School Candidate

No offense, but isn't this one of those "if you have to ask, you'll never know" situations? Are you really considering trying to "reverse engineer" an embedded system and yet can't figure out what architecture it is?
Old 03-08-10, 05:56 AM
David M
Driver

Yes.
Don't need to know the architecture. Just the processor.
If anyone knows and will share, it saves me from tearing my car apart to find it. Why does that bother you, Mr. Adams?
Old 03-08-10, 06:02 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe installing the Vaistech adaptor will bypass the message in addition to providing its other functions.
Old 03-08-10, 12:21 PM
adams430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by David M
Yes.
Don't need to know the architecture. Just the processor.
If anyone knows and will share, it saves me from tearing my car apart to find it. Why does that bother you, Mr. Adams?
Doesn't bother me at all - I wasn't irritated, just amused.

How will knowing what type of processor it contains allow you to bypass the lawyer screen?
Old 03-08-10, 12:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Instead of being amused, how about if we try to be as helpful as possible to folks that post on the board asking for info or help. This is a really cool place and its mostly so cool because almost everyone here wants to help each other and share their mutual appreciation for the LS430.
Old 03-08-10, 12:40 PM
David M
Driver

Originally Posted by adams430
Doesn't bother me at all - I wasn't irritated, just amused.

How will knowing what type of processor it contains allow you to bypass the lawyer screen?
That's a trade secret.
Old 03-08-10, 04:11 PM
adams430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Instead of being amused, how about if we try to be as helpful as possible to folks that post on the board asking for info or help. This is a really cool place and its mostly so cool because almost everyone here wants to help each other and share their mutual appreciation for the LS430.
You're right, I was less than cordial in my first response. I'll try to reign in my sarcasm in the future. Caddyowner provided the only good answer to this question.

My contribution to this thread:
Making modifications to an embedded computer system requires knowledge of a lot more than just what processor it's running - in fact that's one of the easiest to understand pieces of the puzzle. Processors are well-documented and if you have access to some executables it should be easy to determine what the architecture is. The bigger barriers to making software modifications relate to how the system has been put together. What embedded OS is it running? Where is the code stored? DVD or flash? How easy is it to modify? Are the images signed? How much of the hardware aside from the processor is undocumented and unidentifiable? How much of it is on a custom SoC?

I know enough to know that I do not have the chops to manage this sort of thing. If there's some magic that allows merely identifying the processor used in a GPS unit to facilitate hacking on it, please clue me in. Really, don't just say it's a secret, that's even less helpful than my first post was.
Old 03-08-10, 04:34 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adams430
You're right, I was less than cordial in my first response. I'll try to reign in my sarcasm in the future. Caddyowner provided the only good answer to this question.
I apologize. In a moment of confusion I must have posted something useful instead of my usual drivel. BTW, people who ask questions about the details of Toyota software now find an unmarked, black Avalon with two nasty looking guys parked on the street in front of their house.
Old 03-08-10, 04:43 PM
adams430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
BTW, people who ask questions about the details of Toyota software now find an unmarked, black Avalon with two nasty looking guys parked on the street in front of their house.
Those nasty looking guys don't still have their hands full with the brake recall?
Old 03-10-10, 09:42 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David M
Does anyone know? Specifically, for the 2006 LS430 Ultra. I'm trying to reverse engineer it so that it will drop the annoying habits. Like the lawyer screen.

Thanks.
I think the easiest fix for the "lawyer screen" would be a simulated screen press at the appropriate point shortly after startup. Thought about playing with this idea a while back but never pursued it.
Old 03-10-10, 11:19 PM
David M
Driver

Of course it is, jstjonz, but that is only the most obvious. The user interface is one of the worst I have ever used (or NOT used while moving.) (Hint: that is another flaw that needs to be corrected.)
Old 03-11-10, 11:02 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a Vaistech or a CoastalTech's Lockpick. Both will do what you want at a less time consuming endeavor. While trying to unlock the bypass for the nav above v5.1, there are a lot of lines of code to decipher and unless you have a lot of time or very intimate knowledge of code writing, it'll be much easy to get the hardware as mention. Good Luck