LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hi and asking suggestions on LS430 04-06 purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 05:46 AM
hansjl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi and asking suggestions on LS430 04-06 purchase.

Hi, I'm new to the forum for the LS430. I've been active on the SC400 forum and have a GS300. I think it's time to step up to a LS430 since I and my wife plan on doing some traveling and although the GS300 is wonderful, I'm antisipating a good step up in comfort and ride. My question is if there is a reason to get a 05 or 06 based on the don't by stuff the first year out for the 04 mid life changes the LS had in 04.

I ask because there are little problems the only happened in the year my GS was made, and the same for a few years running for my SC.

Thanks for your input and taking time to read and respond to what might be a dumb question. Hell, it's a Lexus so how much can be wrong. I'm looking for a cherry since it may be our last car in life.

Thanks again
Old 02-27-10, 06:00 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the same logic and focused my search on 05s and 06s. That said, the only major issue I've seen documented on 04s is the transmission, and those have probably all been fixed. A minor issue was the slow gas filler tube and that may have been fixed if it was a problem for the owner.

Good luck in your search. Your timing is probably perfect since prices are likely depressed a bit due to the Toyota recall debacle.
Old 02-27-10, 06:47 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read a few things like the ones stated above about 04 models, there fore my search was primarily for 05-06's.

Just in case you didn't know (I have heard a lot of people say after the fact that if only I had known prior to purchasing), there are many trim levels, and comfort package levels.

I believe the proper order is
UL (top, includes every option and then some -- most comfortable to drive)
CL (the second best, and some say the best because no air suspension)
ML (nav and such)
lux or something.

Maybe some others can chime in but this has been discussed hundreds of times and I believe is in a sticky at the top of the ls430 page so you may want to check out the actual differences in order to get a better idea of what actually is being offered and you could possible even use this to your haggling if it is a lesser optioned car being priced as a higher optioned car. happy hunting.
Old 02-27-10, 07:23 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Money an issue?

Originally Posted by hansjl
... My question is if there is a reason to get a 05 or 06 based on the don't by stuff the first year out for the 04 mid life changes the LS had in 04. ...
I have an '04 and no problems thus far. VIN production was not part of transmission or fuel pump TSB.

Fuel filler issues seems like either it's going to happen, or not going to happen, so like Caddyowner said, it would have been fixed already. Unless the owner really did not care about the trigger popping every 10 seconds while filling.

'04-'06 there were no physical change or mechanical enhancements through the 3 years. If you buy an '06, you're just buying a 2 year younger vehicle with possibly lower mileage. Unless you're selling within 3-4 years, then depreciation is not much of a consideration.
Old 02-28-10, 06:12 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have an 04 and have seen all the service records for the car and absolutely nothing has occured besides brakes and fluid changes. It has been flawless to 96k
Old 03-01-10, 01:17 PM
hansjl
Driver

Default Thanks.......

Thanks for all the information and thoughts. I did go through the stickies and FAQ's and did searches so I really do thank you for helping out. I checked out the various luxury packages and tried to feed the pieces to Edmunds and KBB to ball park pricings. I'm not sure how acurate their numbers really are. I've got the bug and it's down to the right LS430 with the right package, at the right price and time. I'm thankful for the mention of the air ride not perhaps being the greatest. I need to research that. At this point in my life I want a smooth comfortable ride with really great comfortable seats. I don't sit in the back so really what's in the front seats area is my major concern and since I'm not planning on buying a dealer car, what comes on the private market in the Washington DC area has much to do with what I get. A nice off toyota lease 06 would be a nice find or an little old lady with her low mileage 04 who wants some quick cash. I guess for the right LS430, I'd get on a flight and enjoy the drive back.

Thanks again and if there are added thoughts on air ride versus not, I'd love to hear opinions. Isn't CL great!

Last edited by hansjl; 03-01-10 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old 03-01-10, 08:14 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd avoid the potential high $ maint issues on an air bag car.

Other than that any 04-06 would be great. If you can afford to pay a little more, try to find a low mileage mint condition car. I got an 06 LS 14k miles and paid a premium for the mint low mile car, but I'd do the exact same thing again in a heartbeat because in retrospect getting a car that mint was like getting a virtually brand new car - so in the end it seems like a bargain to me now.
Old 03-02-10, 04:45 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend the Custom Luxury Package (since you don't want the Ultra Luxury). The most common is the Modern Luxury, that's why I would recommend getting the Custom Luxury because you get a little extra!

Custom Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS)
- Mark Levinson® [10] 11-speaker 240-watt [11] Premium Audio System
- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [3] with backup camera [13] and Bluetooth® [14] wireless technology
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control [15] (awesome on long trips)
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) [16]
- Laminated side glass (repells water better and keeps sound in/out better)
- Intuitive Parking Assist
- Front climate-comfort seats with heat/cool ****
- Headlamp washers
- Power door closers (nice feature, don't have to slam the damn door)
- Rear-seat heaters
- Perforated leather seating surfaces
(you also get Suede Headliner, more Leather on the interior door panels and center console and glove compartment. You also get burnt wood option with the Custom, nice "Rich Look" to your interior, look below \/)
Old 03-02-10, 05:24 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Another advantage of the custom luxury level is the semi-aniline black leather. Once I felt it in a UL, I knew that was what I wanted. The ecru and saddle in the CL and UL are called comfort leather, but I don't think they have the same look and feel as the black.
Old 03-02-10, 06:03 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not semi...

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Another advantage of the custom luxury level is the semi-aniline black leather. Once I felt it in a UL, I knew that was what I wanted. The ecru and saddle in the CL and UL are called comfort leather, but I don't think they have the same look and feel as the black.
I believe the Ecru and Saddle were not semi-aniline, but just "premium" leather. Only the black was semi-analine in the CL and UL trims.
Old 03-02-10, 07:11 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I would recommend the Custom Luxury Package (since you don't want the Ultra Luxury). The most common is the Modern Luxury, that's why I would recommend getting the Custom Luxury because you get a little extra!

Custom Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS)
- Mark Levinson® [10] 11-speaker 240-watt [11] Premium Audio System
- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [3] with backup camera [13] and Bluetooth® [14] wireless technology
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control [15] (awesome on long trips)
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) [16]
- Laminated side glass (repells water better and keeps sound in/out better)
- Intuitive Parking Assist
- Front climate-comfort seats with heat/cool ****
- Headlamp washers
- Power door closers (nice feature, don't have to slam the damn door)
- Rear-seat heaters
- Perforated leather seating surfaces
(you also get Suede Headliner, more Leather on the interior door panels and center console and glove compartment. You also get burnt wood option with the Custom, nice "Rich Look" to your interior, look below \/)
+1 on CL
I have 04 CL and I am very happy with it.
Chances are that you won't pay much premium for a CL because most sellers, including dealers, are not fully aware of the model lineup.

As caddyowner mentioned, Semi-aniline leather is great too.

Yes, and I am from the group that says CL is the best because of no air-suspension (and also don't care about other additional ultra goodies.).
Old 03-03-10, 07:43 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I believe the Ecru and Saddle were not semi-aniline, but just "premium" leather. Only the black was semi-analine in the CL and UL trims.
The original 04 Lexus LS430 Specs state:

"Interior Upgrade Package with Black or Bordeaux Semi Aniline Leather Trim, requires LP or UL

Interior Upgrade Package with Ecru Nappa Leather Trim, requires LP or UL"

Therefore, Semi Aniline came only in Black or Bordeaux.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-10, 06:07 PM
hansjl
Driver

Default Thanks again

Thanks againg for the insights. I think the maint dollars issue on the air ride really made my decision for me. Now all I have to do is find the right LS430. The local dealers in the Washingtom DC area seem to forget the dollars aren't flowing as well as a few years back and just like me with my SC400 and G300feel their vehicles are worth more than they are. I'm glad I'm not selling.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-10, 04:53 PM
Dble Agent
Pole Position

Did the 04-06 cars come equipped with the blue-tooth option?
Old 03-09-10, 06:10 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by Dble Agent
Did the 04-06 cars come equipped with the blue-tooth option?
Yes, with the modern luxury level and higher. (Nav is required.) The sound quality is better than my OnStar Cadillacs were. It doesn't appear to allow voice command dialing, though. (I'm only played with it a bit. Maybe someone else can chime in.)

Quick Reply: Hi and asking suggestions on LS430 04-06 purchase.