LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

more datasystems controller issues, any else dealt with this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 06:49 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default more datasystems controller issues, any else dealt with this?

I had the DSC (data systems controller asc680) installed on my 05 UL for a little over a year and although I like it, it is not perfect. I had originally had the speed sensor hooked up since day one and while you were say driving down the highway it would always want to adjust itself. Well it would often times be unlevel for one reason or another due to it always wanting to adjust itself and although it felt real good comfort wise it sorta felt a little odd because one corner would often be higher than the other or the rear may be higher or lower for some odd reason.

Last weekend I snipped the speed sensor and have been driving around for a few days to compare. I immediately noticed that the whole car sat much more level and even, almost perfectly level which has been something I was fighting for the whole year prior. However now when driving down the highway it feels way to low and I love the look but it is a little harsh and uncomfortable at this height on bad roads or sections of highway that are not perfectly smooth. If I then try to raise the car via the controller while I am at speed it seems like it no longer wants to comply after cutting the speed sensor. Now when I hit the buttons to raise it up it looks like the valves are going up and it feels like the car is raising slightly and becoming softer on the bumps but then a minute or two later the car lowers itself back down and goes right back to the flat even low low setting.

When I had the speed sensor connected I had full control of the vehicles height whether moving or stopped and it seems now that I can only raise the car up while it is stopped or moving very slowly since cutting the speed sensor. How do I get it to raise up and keep the new height setting while driving down the highway at 60+ mph and has anyone else experienced this?
I am debating connecting the speed sensor wire back up but then I will just be pissed when one corner isn’t even or when it rises up and I didn’t want it to, although it was a much softer ride on the highway but it didn’t look so cool all uneven like.

Anyone else dealt with this stuff?
Old 02-25-10, 03:46 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting Mine is connected to the speed sensor so I can't really comment. However, when you say it doesn't control when driving, have you looked at the other screen where it show the level you are at (the one with the 4 sideway bars) to see if it does indeed raise or lower?
Old 02-25-10, 04:50 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sojah - this is a good time to convince your wife to buy a new DataSystem unit! (hahaha)

New wireless remote Sus controller is available now
It uses the same harness as the ASC680.

http://www.datasystem.co.jp/catalog/pdf/asr681.pdf

Hope someone can chime in to give insights to your control problem.
Old 02-25-10, 05:18 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

The screen that only shoes the height setting (4 side bars) will show it raise a little for a minute but then it just settles back down to the low low setting.

I guess id like to find out if anyone who has their speed sensor un hooked can raise their car up and keep it up when they are driving like 65+ on the highway.

Now I'm thinking about hooking up a aftermarket little switch to control the speed sensor perhaps.
Old 02-25-10, 07:06 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JP2SEA
sojah - this is a good time to convince your wife to buy a new DataSystem unit! (hahaha)

Wow, that's pretty cool. I see its about $200 more? Looking at the PDF what does the harness that goes to the nav do?
Old 02-25-10, 07:13 PM
wildace
Pole Position

omg omg omg omg doooo wanttttt!!!

Last edited by wildace; 02-25-10 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 04:47 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

so it looks pretty freakin sweet but can you please translate and explain to me what it does that the one i have now doesn't do? how is it better or different? is it any more intuitive? thanks,
Old 02-26-10, 10:09 AM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sojah
so it looks pretty freakin sweet but can you please translate and explain to me what it does that the one i have now doesn't do? how is it better or different? is it any more intuitive? thanks,
here are the quick translation from the product highlight (in grey area in PDF)

1. the main unit is now a remote control unit. This can be charged through DC outlet. The wireless range is about 10ft. You can now have the unit anywhere you like in a car since there is no cord.

2. Uses the same harness from ASC680.

3. One touch to go back to normal height.

4. Valve Alarm. Control unit will sound (Monitor valves & compressor and it will sound to let you know that the height is being adjusted)

5. UCF31 MC~. I believe after M/C will drop a bit on highway speed, right? the function will be canceled. (it may be the same as our ASC680).

6. Quicker Response.

7. Memory is now 3 setting (Normal + two more). Super Low mode is available but not sure if it means total of 4 memory settings...

I think the only big gain on the new controller is the wireless function as many have had trouble installing the unit in a car. It will also help to take the unit out of the car during the hot summer days as I've heard some people's unit's display broke due to high heat.
Old 02-27-10, 03:26 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

I have my speed sensor still connected, so I don't exactly know what you are experiencing.

If you adjust the height at a given level while stopped then drive away, does the car then lower itself on its own over time? If not, then I am not sure why you are complaining? You have decided to disconnect the speed sensor so that the car doesn't adjust itself on its own while driving. This is exactly what you wanted. But now you also want the capability to adjust the car while it is moving? Sounds like conflict of interest to me

Live with one displeasure or the other. Seems to me you would be more happy setting the height at a given level once before driving off and live with that height throughout your drive.
Old 02-28-10, 06:34 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
I have my speed sensor still connected, so I don't exactly know what you are experiencing.

If you adjust the height at a given level while stopped then drive away, does the car then lower itself on its own over time? If not, then I am not sure why you are complaining? You have decided to disconnect the speed sensor so that the car doesn't adjust itself on its own while driving. This is exactly what you wanted. But now you also want the capability to adjust the car while it is moving? Sounds like conflict of interest to me

Live with one displeasure or the other. Seems to me you would be more happy setting the height at a given level once before driving off and live with that height throughout your drive.
yes... when i was stopped i would select a height, it would go to that height, i would then drive off and it would go to the low low setting again. i was trying the stop the car from adjusting on its own while driving,, but i somehow thought i would still be able to pick my own setting while in motion and not have to pull over and what not.

for example i am driving on a city street i like it on say 8. then if all of the sudden i pull onto the highway and the light before the highway happened to be green (lucky me) and i didn't get a chance to stop and select 7 or 6 now i'm stuck on 8 on the highway unless i pull over, come to a stop, and change it.

the low low setting when i first disconnected the speed sensor felt more like a 9.5 (even though 8 was selected on the display) that was 100% even (great feeling on a completely flat road) but it wasn't very comfortable on the highway where i spend a good deal of DD at to and from work M-F.

i played with it again yesterday some and it appeares to be better now,,, i just reset it and selected 8 and it was a true 8 (felt like the same 8 when the speed sensor was still plugged in) so it seems all good now and won't go back to that like 9.5 low feeling setting automatically anymore.

i guess i thought a lot of people were having the issue where it would automatically try to adjust itself while driving and i thought that someone or a few suggested cutting the speed sensor wire, but now it seems like most claim to not have ever disconnected the wire...

anyone on here have their speed sensor wire disconnected?????????
Old 02-28-10, 06:34 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

here are the quick translation from the product highlight (in grey area in PDF)

1. the main unit is now a remote control unit. This can be charged through DC outlet. The wireless range is about 10ft. You can now have the unit anywhere you like in a car since there is no cord.

2. Uses the same harness from ASC680.

3. One touch to go back to normal height.

4. Valve Alarm. Control unit will sound (Monitor valves & compressor and it will sound to let you know that the height is being adjusted)

5. UCF31 MC~. I believe after M/C will drop a bit on highway speed, right? the function will be canceled. (it may be the same as our ASC680).

6. Quicker Response.

7. Memory is now 3 setting (Normal + two more). Super Low mode is available but not sure if it means total of 4 memory settings...

I think the only big gain on the new controller is the wireless function as many have had trouble installing the unit in a car. It will also help to take the unit out of the car during the hot summer days as I've heard some people's unit's display broke due to high heat.
sounds pretty nice... i'd like to hear from someone who has owned both to see what they think and if its worth it? thanks for the info jp2sea
Old 02-28-10, 11:15 AM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ...

interesting topic... more info please... am in the market for a DSC... so would have to consider if the wireless one might be better..?? but would be nice to hear from someone who is running it already....!!
Old 07-08-10, 11:07 AM
jzz30fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up an 03 ls430 and I would love to have a air ride controller...I had a fields on my ls400 never gave me a moment of trouble..did I understand correctly the Datasystems brand integrates with the NAV?...who sells them?
Old 07-08-10, 11:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

it doesn't do anything with nav and the company name is datasystems actually.
Old 07-08-10, 12:36 PM
jzz30fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
it doesn't do anything with nav and the company name is datasystems actually.
Hmmm strange in the instructions it looks it has a harness for interfacing it must just be a tap http://www.datasystem.co.jp/catalog/pdf/asr681.pdf

So which Datasystems model do you have? Or are you an installer?

Quick Reply: more datasystems controller issues, any else dealt with this?