LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 2005 battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 09:32 AM
jdp1955
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 430 2005 battery

How much should a new battery cost? Dealer wants $166. Seems a bit high, but just don't know. Thanks,. Jim
Old 02-17-10, 09:52 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

probably $75 at Walmart or Costco - and likely a better battery - check latest consumer reports battery ratings - Walmart and Costco are generally rated very well
Old 02-17-10, 09:53 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure who makes the battery for Lexus, but I believe it's panasonic. An optima battery can be had for the same price that is considered to be a very reliable battery. I'm not sure if they make one for the LS. However, a decent battery is usually about 100 bucks. If you want to keep things exactly the same, then fine get the one from Lexus, but there is no "Lexus" battery.
Old 02-17-10, 09:55 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

It's fairly simple to buy your own battery and to change it yourself. Below is a list that other people have posted at online discussion groups:

Consumer Reports - November 2009 - Group 35 Battery Recommendations

1. Bosch Premium Power 35-640B $90 - sold at Pep Boys
2. Duralast Gold 35-DLG $90 - AutoZone
3. EverStart Maxx-35N (North) $75 - Walmart ** Consumer Reports Recommended
4. DieHard Gold 33035 (North) $105 - Sears and K-Mart
5. Kirkland Signature 12865 $65 - Costco **Consumer Reports Best Buy
6. NAPA Legend Premium 8435 - NAPA
7. EverStart Maxx-35S (South) $75 - Walmart
8. Autocraft Titanium 35-2 $95 Advance Auto Parts
9. Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-35 $100
10. Duralast 35-DL $80 - AutoZone
11. DieHard Gold 33135 (South) $105 - Sears and K-Mart

Last edited by StanVanDam; 10-05-10 at 10:59 AM. Reason: corrected spelling for Interstate
Old 02-17-10, 10:05 AM
jdp1955
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-17-10, 10:13 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not sure what the dealer is offering, but FYI the OES True Start batteries sold by Toyota/Lexus dealers are supplied by Interstate (actually manufactured by Johnson Controls). The Toyota OEM batteries used to be Panasonic, but I haven't noticed lately what they are. From what I've seen, they generally last about 6 years in normal use, so they're pretty good, but probably not significantly better than other good batteries.

IMO, you'd probably never notice a difference in any of the name brand ones that StanVanDam listed above.
Old 02-17-10, 06:09 PM
Alexis-LS
Driver

8 years in cold New England and 7 years in hot south Florida The only battery I have ever used are EverStart Maxx. There is no need to pay extra.
Old 02-17-10, 06:36 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From my experience the Everstart at Walmart are junk. I have gone through two in about three years with my Integra. If I don't start it up for say two weeks or so, slow to crank and then eventually dies after a few months. Nothing is wrong with the car because I've since gone to a Pepboys brand it seems fine now.

The ones in my LS now are Interstates and they seem to be fine after one year. I've gone one or two weeks without starting and have not seen the low batter from the Smart Access that some have experienced. Seems to start strong and everything.
Old 02-18-10, 02:10 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Batteries can be a tricky item to buy for the LS. I had one go out on me and fortunate for me the dealer actually gave me a free one. I wish I knew what batteries were best to buy when they do go dead but, Im clueless. The dealer replaced my battery about 2-3 years ago and Ive had no issues since. It went dead once because I had my trunk opened and not closed. I must have popped the trunk with my key by accident and left it open overnight. Had it jumped and then it ran like it was never dead.

Havent had issues with the new one the dealer gave me. I have no idea the brand it is either!!! I imagine that cars now have so many computers and things that use battery power that failing batteries happen alot. Some run there radios alot with the engine of(my lady does this all the time)as well and that may cause them to go bad quicker as well!!! I can't call it!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 02-18-10 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Many
Old 02-18-10, 05:01 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I have had no problems with Walmart South Batteries over the last 10 years - they are in my cars , my kids cars, etc.

Batteries from same Brand can vary quite a bit based on geographic location - they are actually built different for North versus Southern states (or they should be).

Another critical item is to make sure you get a fresh battery. If you buy from a location that has too many batteries in stock or that sells them too slowly, you can end up with a battery that is a year or more old before you even buy it. Learn the date code and make sure you get a battery that is less than 90 days old.
Old 02-18-10, 07:04 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
Batteries can be a tricky item to buy for the LS. I had one go out on me and fortunate for me the dealer actually gave me a free one. I wish I knew what batteries were best to buy when they do go dead but, Im clueless. The dealer replaced my battery about 2-3 years ago and Ive had no issues since. It went dead once because I had my trunk opened and not closed. I must have popped the trunk with my key by accident and left it open overnight. Had it jumped and then it ran like it was never dead.

Havent had issues with the new one the dealer gave me. I have no idea the brand it is either!!! I imagine that cars now have so many computers and things that use battery power that failing batteries happen alot. Some run there radios alot with the engine of(my lady does this all the time)as well and that may cause them to go bad quicker as well!!! I can't call it!!! L.G.N.M
What does L.G.N.M. stand for?
Old 02-18-10, 07:12 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
What does L.G.N.M. stand for?
here we go again usermel....
Old 02-18-10, 07:18 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

The Consumer Reports list was for best bang for the buck. For premium batteries, look into Optima Yellow Top and other absorbent glass mat (AGM) aka spiral-wound batteries.

"Due to the higher manufacturing costs compared with flooded lead-acid batteries, AGM technology is currently being used on premium vehicles. As vehicles become heavier and equipped with greater electronic devices such as navigation, stability control, and premium stereos, AGM batteries are being employed to lower vehicle weight and provide better electrical reliability compared with flooded lead-acid batteries."

"New 5 series BMWs from March 2007 incorporate AGM batteries in conjunction with devices for recovering brake energy using regenerative braking and computer control to ensure the alternator charges the battery when the car is decelerating."

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery
Old 02-18-10, 07:49 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
The Consumer Reports list was for best bang for the buck. For premium batteries, look into Optima Yellow Top and other absorbent glass mat (AGM) aka spiral-wound batteries.

"Due to the higher manufacturing costs compared with flooded lead-acid batteries, AGM technology is currently being used on premium vehicles. As vehicles become heavier and equipped with greater electronic devices such as navigation, stability control, and premium stereos, AGM batteries are being employed to lower vehicle weight and provide better electrical reliability compared with flooded lead-acid batteries."

"New 5 series BMWs from March 2007 incorporate AGM batteries in conjunction with devices for recovering brake energy using regenerative braking and computer control to ensure the alternator charges the battery when the car is decelerating."

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery
I've been using Optima batteries since the 1990's. IME, they are not really that great of a battery. I use them only on vehicles where I don't want to risk any acid spillage (i.e. a vehicle that I might keep for a LONG time and don't want to risk any corrosion in the battery area). They also tend to be HEAVY in weight for the cranking power that they provide. IMO, there's a lot of unjustifed hype surrounding Optima batteries.
Old 02-18-10, 03:25 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Whatever you do, go with the best line possible offered by any one reputable brand. They usually have a better warranty and last longer.

A good battery is worth its weight in gold. You do want it to start leaking (thereby ruining your terminals) or giving up on you when you most need it. A good one will run you about $100+.

Quick Reply: LS 430 2005 battery