BMW nightmares = switch to Lexus? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 12:19 PM
freeindeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BMW nightmares = switch to Lexus? Need advice

Hey Lexus Peeps,

A little over two years ago, I bought my first “nice” car. It was a 5-year old BMW 540i with 45K miles. I am now two years into ownership (the car is currently at 73K miles), and I am regretting my decision. It has consistently been in the shop every couple of months since I bought it. My extended warranty company has shelled out over $8K in repairs, and I have personally spent $2K in repairs that my policy didn’t cover. I have had to replace everything from engine seals/gaskets, water pump/radiators, and ball joints to power seat frame/motors, CD changers (twice), and instrumentation panels.

I am normally the type to pay a car off and drive it 10 years or more, so I am not stranger to repairs; however, for the first time ever, I am to the end of my rope. I think I can say that it doesn’t make financial sense to continue owning this car, which brings me to why I’m here.

What can you folks tell me about the maintenance and repairs on an LS430? I am finding 2005-2006 models all over the place for around $20,000 to $25,000. They usually have 45 to 65K miles. Do ya’ll think all luxury cars will be like my BMW? Because right now, I’m thinking I should just go back to a Camry. Or do you think a Lexus is substantially less trouble to own than a BMW? Has anyone driven the same LS once it was past 10 years of age?

Any advice you could give me would be awesome. Can someone give me a picture of what Lexus recommends regarding the maintenance schedule? BMW has a service inspection II at 60K miles, which involves changing a lot of the fluids, etc. It is quite expensive. I’m just wondering if I shouldn’t be looking for an LS that has already had that done, etc. Any common issues I should look for??

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-15-10, 12:36 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

LS 430 is the flagship of Lexus. It's the best car for your money. I used to have one 92 LS400 that had around 210k miles on it and ran smoothly. I bought it when it had 150k miles and never had any problems. Ever since, I stick with Lexus. Everybody will have to do regular maintenance on the car. That's a given. Other than that, the Lexus won't give any problems.
Old 02-15-10, 12:49 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you bought an 06 LS430 and you're not a stranger to properly maintaining a car, then you shouldn't see any problems for a long time. Especially the type of problems you had on the BMW.
Old 02-15-10, 12:53 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

^well put scorpio74! ive seen some of my friends' ls from way back when (92-94), and nearly two decades later, they're still running strong. they beat up their rides with all the daily driving and mini trips around so cal, but with regular maintenance and pretty much simple DIY, any lexus should be still strong decades after its bought.
Old 02-15-10, 01:08 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a 98 LS400 that I sold to a friend at work. It had over 120k miles when I sold it. The only problem I had was a potentially worn out outer tie rod end that I replaced just before my extended warranty expired. That policy was a waste of money since I never used it. The tie rod end replacement was done so that I could feel as if I got something for my money. I guess never having to use the policy can be considered a good thing.

Now I have an 06 LS430 and a 03 GS430. Neither car has cost me any real money except in what I spent for modifications and routine maintenance. I plan on keeping both cars until the wheels fall off. Oh yeah, I did have to replace the passenger side window seal on the GS. It cost me a whole $105 dollars installed. Had to second mortgage the house and sell off my stocks to pay for it (j.k.). Other than that, I have no complaints from either car. Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-10, 01:08 PM
stanell1
Driver School Candidate

I have owned several German and Japanese luxury cars. Comparing the two I find that the germans have the best performance and highest maint cost...and the Japanese built ones tend to be quite reliable but bland to drive and also has rather expensive maint costs. I currently own two benzs and an LS so I get the best and worse of both worlds. It's been my experience that when a benz is over 50k miles that's when its time to get rid of it(exception: I have a 1970 280S classic Benz under restoration). I have driven lexus into the 100k plus mile arena with minimal problems as long as they are maintained which can be costly as stated before . Alot of people will probably say that Lexus is a lower cost luxury car to own but it's still not cheap. I would suggest you do your research before you take on another possible money pit. Its important to know what you plan to do with a car before you make a purchase. A daily driver will place different demands on a car versus a holiday driver. I think if you are looking for a reliable daily driver at a low cost a camry might be your best choice. However,if you want a car that will pamper you and get you there in style Lexus is you car. But it ain't going to be cheap!
Old 02-15-10, 01:20 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Personally I don't mind relatively high routine maint on a ultra luxury car. What I can't stand is lots of unplanned mechanical breakdowns that come from crappy design or just poor quality. With the LS, I expect to pay somewhat higher than normal amounts for regular planned and routine maintenance, but I also know that with an LS 430 I will have almost no unplanned breakdowns of any kind. Granted I did get the "premium" optioned model which in Lexus parlance actually means it has minimal options as compared to the more deluxe LS Ultra version. In my view the premium version of the 04-06 LS430 is about as bulletproof as a luxury car can get. btw I am not saying more deluxe versions of LS are maintenance problems at all, if you read the reveiws this car at all option levels is extremely reliable.
Old 02-15-10, 03:15 PM
Igoboe
Driver School Candidate

I drove 2001 BMW 740i SPORT for 4 years (2005 - 2009, got it with 65k on odometer and sold it with 120K)and I think it was the best sport sedan I ever drove and I spent around $10 000 on it: replaced radiator, two water pumps, two thermostats, alternator, navigation, some electronics .... basically there was always something wrong but when it drove it was amazing.
I have 06 LS 430 and it is bulletproof, doesn't drive as fast and as agile as BMW but it does its job great: quiet, comfortable and most important VERY RELIABLE. I don't miss BMW any more.
Good luck,
IL
Old 02-15-10, 03:25 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL If you're looking for comfort and reliability you just found your dream car.
Old 02-15-10, 03:31 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't compare a German car to a Japanese in terms of maintenance and reliability. I had a Benz once and have sworn them off. Lexus is by far less troublesome to own and maintain.
Go ahead, take the plunge.
Old 02-15-10, 05:13 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
LOL If you're looking for comfort and reliability you just found your dream car.
I got to..

on that qoute. My brother is a BMW tech and I hear the good and the bad when it comes to the Bimmers, so I know what the OP is feeling. BMW's are fun to drive, I owned a 3-Series once great car until she started costing me just as much or more than my then girlfriend.....somebody had to go!
Old 02-15-10, 05:33 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at the Consumer Reports reliability statistics? They speak for themselves. You are going from unreliable and repair prone BMW to the raining king of reliability since 1989. The LS has held the title each and every year it has been in production. The factory in Japan where this car is made has consistently won award after award for total quality control. It has been ranked #1 in the WORLD many, many times. Major failures on an LS are rare and normally isolated (unlike BMW, where the failures affect every 5 series). You can easily drive these over 300k miles with low repair and maintenance costs (when compared to S, 7, A8). They are more oil-change only, and less 'I like to live in the shop at $125/hour'.
While it won't handle or corner like a BMW, it also won't break. The electronics will actually work! The car will actually start! It won't depreciate like a rock falling off a cliff either. The LS holds better residual resale then anything else in its class.
Old 02-15-10, 05:42 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just about every problem you mentioned about your BMW would have been coverd by the lexus CPO program..find a low mileage 430 and get the five year lexus extende warranty...best deal in the marketplace. By the way the cars are fabulous. I have a 430 and a 330.
Old 02-15-10, 06:24 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is some more info for your reading pleasure.

Info I have collected, so a little something i put together.

Lexus LS430 Wins JD Power Most Dependable Vehicle

Production: 2001-2006
Highest Ranked: 2006 Lexus LS 430

Not only did the 2006 Lexus LS 430 rank as the most dependable large premium car in the J.D. Power and Associates 2009 Vehicle Dependability Study,SM it also earned a record-setting index score for problem-free ownership, scoring the best performance in the history of the survey. In its final year before a complete redesign, the 2006 Lexus LS 430 carried over from 2005 with no significant modifications. It continued to be powered by a 4.3-liter V-8 engine making 290 horsepower, driving the rear wheels through a 6-speed automatic transmission. Buyers looking for greater engagement with the road could choose a firmer suspension and 18-inch wheels. Standard safety features included knee air bags for the driver and front-seat passenger, headlights that swiveled with the steering to help see better in the dark, and a reversing camera displaying objects behind the car on the navigation screen. Available features included heated and cooled rear seats, front seats with a massage feature, and a keyless entry and ignition system.

Among the five models in the Large Premium Car segment, the LS 430 achieves an index score of 61 PP100 (problems per 100 vehicles), compared to the segment average of 126 PP100—a difference of 65 PP100. According to original owners of the 2006 Lexus LS 430, the top five problem areas are:

* Exterior mirrors
* Navigation system map missing or wrong
* Battery failed
* Tire-pressure-monitoring system

May 2004 - AutoPacific announces the 2004 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards (VSA). Lexus LS 430 registered highest overall satisfaction for a fifth consecutive year.

June 2004 -The LS 430 ranks as "Most Dependable Premium Luxury Car" in the J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Vehicle Dependability StudySM.

December 2004 - The Lexus LS 430 is named a "Best Buy" Premium Large Car by IntelliChoice.

January 2005 - Lexus LS 430 receives the Polk Automotive Loyalty Award for the 2004 model year in the Prestige Luxury Car segment.

February 2005 - The Lexus LS 430 is awarded "Best Overall Value" for cars over $23,000 by IntelliChoice.

June 2005 - The Lexus LS 430 is ranked "Most Dependable Premium Luxury Car", in J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Vehicle Dependability StudySM.

June 2005 - The Lexus LS 430 is the "Most Appealing Premium Luxury Car" in the J.D. Power and Associates APEAL (Automotive Performance Execution and Layout) StudySM.

September 2005 - Consumer Guide names LS 430 a "Best Buy" in the category of Premium Large Cars.

January 2006 - Lexus LS 430 receives the Polk Automotive Loyalty Award for the 2005 model year in the Prestige Luxury Car segment.

February 2006 - Lexus LS 430 wins IntelliChoice's "Best Overall Value of the Year" award in the category of Best Car Value over $23,000.

June 2006 - The Lexus LS 430 earns J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality (IQS) award, "Highest Ranked Large Premium Car in Initial Quality".

August 2006 - Lexus LS 430 is "Most Dependable Large Premium Car" for the 12th consecutive year in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS).

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/lexus...onology-5.html

Here is a throw back shoot out article 04 LS430 vs. 2004 Audi A8 L, BMW 745i, Jaguar Vanden Plas, Mercedes-Benz S430, and Volkswagen Phaeton V8

http://motortrend.automotive.com/395...son/index.html

Car and Driver comparo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...s_ls430_page_2

Last edited by Tee; 02-15-10 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 06:28 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, you're on a Lexus forum, of course we're all going to give you a big thumbs up and endorse Lexus. We love our cars.

If the reason you had a 540i was purely for the "driving" experience and the rush of the car (when it wasn't in the shop), then getting a LS430 might be a let down somewhat in terms of driver feedback, but you've love all the luxury and trouble free ownership. Like many have said, it's not a "cheap" car to maintain, but neither are BMW or MB's. The Lexus doesn't cost any more than any other luxury imports.

Recent issues aside, I've owned Japanese since '92 and experience thus far:

'92 Integra - 215K and no issues
'95 Civic - 220K no issues, sold and somewhere in W. Africa right now.
'99 RX300 - 128K No problems except for coil packs that "packed" it in...
'04 LS430 - 55K, nuff said...

Quick Reply: BMW nightmares = switch to Lexus? Need advice