LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Dont buy smart key fobs on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 04:42 PM
frankiec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont buy smart key fobs on ebay

I purchased a 2005 Key Fob and tried to get it programmed and it doesn't work. the dealer told be that he has had a lot of problems with online key fobs and not being able to program them.

I'm not sure if its because its not a master key and is a valet key or what. I thought I was purchasing a master key, but that's a different issue.
Old 02-06-10, 06:12 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ebay... buyers beware. A lot of folks that sell things on there are selling because the junk don't work. You have to pay attention to seller feedback numbers/percentage.

I got mine from Sewill, $130 or so shipped, brand new, got it programmed no problem. Sent in VIN and the key was cut also. Brought it to dealership and I got a free programming.
Old 02-06-10, 07:11 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

to sewell lexus, cheap parts from them!
Old 04-09-10, 10:41 PM
ridinbenz
Driver School Candidate

Default Buy, just reset ECU

I don't know if you still care, but most likely the reason why the keys did not work is because they were used. I have a 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited that uses the same Smart Key system as the Lexus's do and I was also quoted a ridiculously high price for a single key. So, I ordered a key from ebay for about $60 and tried to get it programmed with no success by dealers and locksmiths. However, the locksmith just reset the system (Reset the ECU, I believe) and was able to add all of the keys needed. It was a fairly quick process about 10-15 mins. Just ask your locksmith to reset the ECU and then add the keys.
Old 04-13-10, 03:28 PM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

u^ Ditto,

Dealerships said it wouldn't work on a used key, my mechanic said it wouldn't work.
Attempted it at a dealership and didn't work. Went to a locksmith, tried to add didn't work.

Locksmith reset the ecu and reprogrammed both the keys, and voila works.

i have an 06 is350.
Old 05-02-10, 06:36 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup that's the only way from ebay ordered 2 keys went off without a hitch
Old 07-06-11, 10:54 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the FCC ID on your replacement key is a match and the battery as well as all electronics work
There is no reason why there should be a programming issue. These keys have batteries so the prospect of reprogramming was accounted for.
Old 01-05-12, 07:55 PM
gensiserm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ridinbenz
I don't know if you still care, but most likely the reason why the keys did not work is because they were used. I have a 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited that uses the same Smart Key system as the Lexus's do and I was also quoted a ridiculously high price for a single key. So, I ordered a key from ebay for about $60 and tried to get it programmed with no success by dealers and locksmiths. However, the locksmith just reset the system (Reset the ECU, I believe) and was able to add all of the keys needed. It was a fairly quick process about 10-15 mins. Just ask your locksmith to reset the ECU and then add the keys.

yeah I also agree!
Old 01-08-12, 12:55 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

i know this is old & dug up from the past, but ill through my 2 cents in b/c i recently went though this situation.

our LS only came with 1 key & actually ends up being a valet key (didn't know this until the dealer tried to program the new keys). i bought 2 keys (didn't know they were classified as smart keys) from ebay (both for about $100 shipped). brought everything to the dealer. dealer was the one that told me that they were able to do everything, but only one of the keys was able to be turned on as a smart key. when i got home, smart key worked great, but then the other key & the original valet key were not working. brought back to the dealer so they could look at the valet key (they said they couldn't do anything with the other one since i didn't buy it from them). i ended up buying a new key from them & they programmed that one & fixed the valet key under warranty. so, i still made out cheaper with getting at least one key from ebay.
Old 11-13-13, 11:18 AM
vikiana
Driver School Candidate

Default $1500 key reprogramming?

I bought my Lexus used and it only came with one key

I want to make a copy but the dealership says that since the key is not a master key, they will charge me $1500 to reprogram it

seriously?

What other option do I have?
Old 11-13-13, 05:56 PM
nDrew
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vikiana
I bought my Lexus used and it only came with one key

I want to make a copy but the dealership says that since the key is not a master key, they will charge me $1500 to reprogram it

seriously?

What other option do I have?
Based on what other people have said in here it may be worth it to do one of the following:

Order a key from Sewell based on your VIN and see if you can get a dealer to program.

Buy a key from eBay that is a master key and have a locksmith reset the ECU and reprogram.

Hopefully one of these solutions work out for you. Good luck!
Old 11-13-13, 06:10 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

if you have a smart key do not repeat do not buy a key from ebay as it will not work.you have to buy a new key and program it.a smart key is only good one time and cannot be reprogramed to another smart key car.if anyone thinks different be my guest and go for it.
Old 11-15-13, 09:02 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

others have said ebay keys do not work. but mine did. granted, i bought 2, but the dealer was only able to program one of them. they were both ebay keys from the same seller. the seller had refunded me the money once i sent back the key the dealer could not program. i ended up buying another key from the dealer so i had 2 smart keys. but the ebay key is the one that i keep & i gave my wife the brand new dealer key. i have had no problems with my ebay key for the past almost 2 years we have had it.

bottom line, it is a gamble with an ebay purchase. but if you do try it, buy from an established ebay store. and i would ask the seller if they will issue a refund if the dealer can not program the key.
Old 11-15-13, 03:42 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm curious to know whether keys can only be programmed one time. This doesn't make sense, but I'm not an electronics expert. i would think you could do it as many times as you needed, almost like a firmware update.
Old 11-15-13, 06:23 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

when the car comes new it has 2master and 1 valet fob which is programed to the ecm.if you loose the 2 master keys you can not program a smart key.you will have to install a new ecm which comes with the above number of keys.
anytime you program a new smart key fob you will need a master key to program it with the computer software so the ecm will recognize it.
this is a security issue.if you could program a fob with no master key a lot of valet workers with a computer the right software would be poping out keys for a later visit of your car.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 11-15-13 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Dont buy smart key fobs on ebay