LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Pics of smog sensor cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 10:14 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

great post! Thanks for taking the time and posting pictures too. My California-based car probably need this too.
Old 02-03-10, 11:43 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem bud! Thanks again for the hint Vcheng!

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 02-03-10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 01:29 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Slrv surf, thanks for a great post. I never even thought about the sensor having a filter that should have maintenance. I'll definitely do this, as I have noticed that my sensor is also a bit slow in reacting even though I have it set on maximum.
Old 02-03-10, 02:09 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Slrv surf, thanks for a great post. I never even thought about the sensor having a filter that should have maintenance. I'll definitely do this, as I have noticed that my sensor is also a bit slow in reacting even though I have it set on maximum.
Yeah i really dont think this would be a "maintainece" item to Lexus. IMO, i think they would just say its bad a needs replacing. In some cases in an alternator, its just the brushes that needs replacing but most of the time people just replace the whole thing causes its more convienent than rebuilding one rather than replacing the brushes. I guess it depends on the person and how they feel about it.
Old 02-03-10, 06:40 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice writeup bro...but you should add step 1A - remove wiring harness/connector from sensor. lol

Also, are we 100% sure what you cleaned out is dirt, and not activated charcoal? I'm wondering just how much (black, pebble-like) dirt could become "trapped" in the filter material with the housing sealed up?

If anyone has a parts/service manual, could that filter possibly be a legitimate replacement item, with FRESH activated charcoal?
Old 02-03-10, 06:57 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm not real sure, but I thought activated charcoal only became active when it became wet.

It certainly shouldn't be loose and uncontained as shown in the photos I would think.

Do we have a chemist on this forum that can clarify?
Old 02-03-10, 07:52 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a chemist, but an aquarium "expert" of sorts and yes, charcoal is only "active" when exposed with H2O. That's why activated charcoal in the glass jar doesn't go bad. Just like water purification systems that use charcoal for removing the chemical taste.

I don't think the dust in the pictures would be charcoal because why would you want to say 'clean' the air before going into the sensor? The air entering the sensor is not continuing into the vehicle, so pre-cleaning would almost defeat the purpose of it detecting the smog.
Old 02-04-10, 07:21 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ If it is charcoal and it does clean the air, it might be a way to prevent the sensor from activating in conditions that aren't really smoggy. However, following that theory, if the charcoal loses it's effectiveness over time, the sensor should be triggered more frequently rather than less.
Old 02-04-10, 11:41 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Oh believe me fellas it was not charcoal. I'm kinda familiar with charcoal myself from the whole home aquarium thing too. This is fine brown dust that got trapped(as designed)in the filter. And yes charcoal do requires water to work is usually used to clean water insted of air. The unit is not completely sealed. There are very small openings at the bottom of the unit that allows just the right amount of air and not a lot of moisture in. Anyway, thanks for adding a extra pov. You really never know about how things are made these days.
Old 02-04-10, 03:31 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I'm not real sure, but I thought activated charcoal only became active when it became wet.

It certainly shouldn't be loose and uncontained as shown in the photos I would think.

Do we have a chemist on this forum that can clarify?
Interesting perspective of "activated charcoal" in relation to water. Maybe I should have not said "activated"?

The reason I questioned the OP was my experience with NBC MOPP gear (outtergarments/uniforms) that we are issued in the U.S. military (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Mission Oriented Protective Posture)

Sewn into the inner layer of the garments is literally a layer of charcoal. That charcoal is supposed to help protect the wearer from the nasties of a NBC attack. Whenever we disrobed those garments/uniforms, we had small black pebble-like speckles of carbon on our skin, looking similar to the debris in the OP's photos.

It's also stressed that, once the garments become wet, the protective qualities of the charcoal diminish significantly.

Regardless, sounds as if the unknown foreign debris IS dirt, so.....so much for my hypothesis...lol.

It's not too often I think outside the box..but this was one.

ps...none of this is confidential info

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 02-04-10 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 07:33 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did not even know these cars had that feature,, gonna have to take a look at mine ad see if it is in the same location and gently open it up,, sure no harm,,

thanks for the photos and heads up,,

Derry
Old 02-05-10, 10:15 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stay

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Nice writeup bro...but you should add step 1A - remove wiring harness/connector from sensor. lol
Unless the inside of the housing is super dirty, or the outside is so grummy you want to clean it, you don't even need to disconnect the sensor from the housing. The cover pops out independent of the other half and the connect is not holding the two halves together.

I just cleaned mine for the heck of it (it was pretty dirty actually, although still working) and I only removed the 10mm bolt holding the unit to the car. Then I turned the sensor over, popped the cover off using a screw driver, and cleaned the little filter and reinstalled.

On a side note, I sort of did it this way because I couldn't figure out how to get the wiring harness off... so in reality, a step 1A would be nice. HA HA...
Old 02-05-10, 01:51 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
On a side note, I sort of did it this way because I couldn't figure out how to get the wiring harness off... so in reality, a step 1A would be nice. HA HA...
Me too... I spent about 30sec trying to figure out how to disconnect and said, screw it. Didn't need to disconnect anyway.

I also went into the Smog Setting and cranked mine up to HI using the nav screen. I'm tired of smelling the exhaust of old clunkers still cruising these Alabama roads
Attached Thumbnails Pics of smog sensor cleaning.-2005_smog_sensor.jpg  

Last edited by DDLexus; 02-07-10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 11:54 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Unless the inside of the housing is super dirty, or the outside is so grummy you want to clean it, you don't even need to disconnect the sensor from the housing.
I hear what you're saying, but I believe the OP had pictures with ALL the pieces on a table, disassembled. That wouldn't have been possible had he not disconnected the harness.
Old 02-06-10, 01:13 PM
adams430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this on my '02. The sensor is bigger and in a different location on mine - it's to the right of the rightmost airhorn. It also has two of those weird sensor things that look like a capacitor with a screen door on top, not one. It's about twice as wide as the sensor pictured here. My filter was filthy.

Like those above me, I could not figure out how to disconnect that beefy plastic electrical connector - it looked like I would need to pry 3 clips up simultaneously to get it off. I think the 01-03 connectors might be different than the one pictured. Anyway, it was easy to clean. The filter was pretty dirty.

Quick Reply: Pics of smog sensor cleaning.