Ls 430 Navigation System (I'm a new owner) also headrest question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 05:16 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down Ls 430 Navigation System (I'm a new owner) also headrest question

Hi
We just bought a pre-certified LS 430 (27,000). Have never owned a Lexus before and my husband is experiencing buyers remorse since it seems so complicated - in particular the navigation system.
I am the savvy computer person and I can't even figure it out, the manual is impossible to follow and from what I've read on line, our complaint is not unusual. We have several portable units, but since this system came with our car, I'd like to learn how to use it. Our dealership does not have a specific person assigned to teach people the system (as I understand some dealerships have). Does anyone know if there is software or a program I can download on line that will teach me or an easier manual. Also what does the term "overide" mean that I keep seeing in threads. And what about the voice activation system, does that mean we can just call out the location and the system should direct us?

An second and unrelated question is......regarding the front headrests, they seem to be too forward for me - is there a way to adjust them to go further back.

I'm excited to learn this car - we traded our Lincoln Town car and are adjusting to the difference in size but I guess this is a much better car, from all I've learned and Lexus owners we know love the car.

Any tips or advice you can pass along would really be helpful.
Thanks very much.
Old 01-31-10, 05:32 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Re: the headrests, have you tried pushing the top of the headrest rearward? They pivot at the bottom, so you can reposition them. They fit me perfectly -- pull the top forward if I want it touching my head, push it rearward if I don't want it touching unless I lean back.

Hopefully someone will chime in on the navigation. I know there are people here who seem to use them all the time, but I never really go anywhere that I need mine. I've only used it two or three times just as a novelty, but it seemed to work -- I didn't read any manual or anything (like all real MEN! ) -- just started punching buttons based upon the on-screen prompts as far as I recall.

P.S. I hope your husband gets used to the differences and gets over his buyers remorse. I LOVE the LS430, but literally cannot stomach the feel or on-the-road manners of the Town Car or Mercury Marquis (both share the Panther platform and feel very similar to me). I'll literally take a Ford Focus from the rental agency instead -- I refuse to drive that platform. If your husband liked that car a lot, he might be slow to convert.

Last edited by I6turbo; 01-31-10 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 05:52 PM
Aimhigher3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased an LS 430 also and I also didnt know how to use the navigation system. Ive had German cars and their navi is so different than the Lexus. What helped me was You Tube... Go on You Tube and enter "Lexus Navigation" on the search box and you will see some users teaching you how to use it... It might be on a different vehicle or a different version of the navigation system but its all very similar. It helped me a lot!
Old 01-31-10, 05:54 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome. I'm not familiar with the term "pre-certified". Is that a trade-in you bought before the dealer invested money in certifying the car?
Old 01-31-10, 07:03 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've found the NAV in the 430 is be much like any portable interface (Garmin or TomTom). I have not touched the NAV manual on the 430 at all and I figured out how to use it.

As for "over-ride" this is the ability to use the NAV while the car is moving. On the 430 NAV, once the car is moving, you can not use the NAV to program an address in, or select any new destinations, you have to stop the vehicle. Depending on your year, if you're '01-'03, then you're generation 3. If you're '04-'06, then you're generation 4 and generation 4 NAV override only worked up until version 5.1 I believe it is. After that, even the over-ride does not work.

One thing to note on the NAV, UNLIKE portables, you don't have address access to all regions at one time. The whole US is divided up into like 5 or 6 regions, so if you're in NY let's say, and you wanted to find an address in CA, then you'd have to switch the search zone to region CA is in, then find the address. Otherwise, it will only find addresses in the region you're currently in.

Anyway... happy "programming"...
Old 01-31-10, 09:31 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

For the nav, you have to remember to put in the address in a certain sequence to be fast and effective. On the top of my head this is the steps I usually key in the address. Start with city (state if you are travel to another), street (key in the number or street name, don't enter in things like NE, NW, S etc) The list of NE, S etc will show up in a listing, then address number. Once you see it, press Route.

The hard part is the street as in your mind, you want to automatically type in exactly when you read off. Example, the street address is NE 128th Street, you would key in 128th st, then a list will appear that may show NE 128th, NW 128th Ct, etc, select the one that matches.

It sound like a lot of steps but its truly isn't that hard.
Old 01-31-10, 09:43 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully you and your husband will grow to love your LS.

On your headrest, I6turbo is right on.

On the Nav....well, the consumer responses don't lie. Acura(Honda) is number one, followed by Lexus(Toyota), then everyone else. We installed an Eclipse Nav unit into our LandCruiser before well before we got our LS. Same exact interface and so it was simple for us to use.

CaddyOwner, I believe she meant Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) and not pre-certified.
Old 02-01-10, 07:47 AM
djs123
Rookie

Thank you all for your replies. I actually have an appointment at Lexus tomorrow to go over all the issues and questions I have. I'm looking forward to that. In the meantime I'll watch the You tube video and check on the headrests. Tomorrow I will inquire about the overide, I've read that is a pet peeve amongst Lexus owners with this navigation system, hopefully, mine won't be one of the problem programs. Oh and, yes I did mean "certified pre-owned", thanks for that clarification, sorry for the mis-statement.
I welcome any other suggestions or information you want to pass along. I'm thrilled to find this forum, as in one day of exploring it, I already feel more familiar and well, informed.
Old 02-01-10, 08:42 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Regarding head rest adjustment. My 04 UL does not have a tilt or front and rear adjustment. They only adjust up and down. Don't know if that is a UL feature, but both front seats are firmly fixed.

I have read that front/rear adjustments became somewhat of an issue in safety crash tests conducted by the NHTSA. Some people have complained that Honda headrest are positioned uncomfortably forward because of those requirements to get a good crash test result from the NHTSA.
Old 02-01-10, 04:02 PM
djs123
Rookie

Regarding head rest adjustment. My 04 UL does not have a tilt or front and rear adjustment.......
I'll let you know after my visit with Lexus tomorrow, hopefully a previous poster was correct in that it can be adjusted, although I haven't yet figured it out. Then again, I can't even figure out the bluetooth, so maybe it's just me.
Thanks again
Old 02-01-10, 07:47 PM
AlexusAnja

For the people that can't adjust the headrest. Do you have the PCS system? Perhaps the PCS system which auto adjusts the headrest when it detects unavoidable collision also controls the headrest to not tilt during normal times. If you don't have PCS, then I'd say the headrests should tilt and they might just be tight.
Old 02-02-10, 06:30 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
For the people that can't adjust the headrest. Do you have the PCS system? Perhaps the PCS system which auto adjusts the headrest when it detects unavoidable collision also controls the headrest to not tilt during normal times. If you don't have PCS, then I'd say the headrests should tilt and they might just be tight.
I just checked my 04 UL again on headrest adjustment. They are adjustable. My headrests are in the down position and no forward adjustment. They fit me perfectly in that position. By raising them I could see that they can be swiveled for and aft. They are very tight with smooth adjustment but take some effort. You don't just reach up and pull the top like most cars I've been in. No clicking stops, just move to wherever you want.

Sorry I misled anyone on this issue. This car never ceases to amaze me with all the quality details it has.
Old 02-02-10, 05:45 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first tested my car I was just lost with the Navigation. When I finally sat down and read - then re-read - the manual it all started to make sense. There are a LOT of options in there, especially since it includes radio, audio, bluetooth (in 2004+ cars) and climate controls as well. This system needs you to initially be familiar with it to succeed. It's not idiot proof like a Nuvi or Tom-Tom.

But once you get the basics down it's very enjoyable and easy to use. It also has a pleasant voice, and is quite speedy when taking voice commands. I'm actually hating the newer Lexus Nav systems as they take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to accept a command and re-route.

Try this to make you feel better: Press the voice input button then say "70 degrees" after the beep. I bet that works, and it's a good start to your learning process.
Old 02-02-10, 06:26 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Override

Originally Posted by wanderer99
... But once you get the basics down it's very enjoyable and easy to use. It also has a pleasant voice, and is quite speedy when taking voice commands. I'm actually hating the newer Lexus Nav systems as they take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to accept a command and re-route.
It's not a great alternative, but the quick access points (5 of them) you can still access using the voice command even when car moving. Example if you set the quick access 3 to work, then just say "quick access number three" and it will select and route. This way, you won't have to do the override. Not perfect, but it works.
Old 02-05-10, 06:25 PM
djs123
Rookie

Just an update, I had my meeting with Lexus and now know how to use the Nav and also Bluetooth, yeah! I love them both, lots of things I still have to learn, but at least now I can get around.
I'm curious about one thing that seems peculiar to me. When you're on the phone (thru bluetooth) the navigation system doesn't interrupt to tell you to turn, or am I doing something wrong? What I've decided is that when I really need to use NAV I won't use bluetooth, but I'm surprised by that.
Aside from that, so far I love the NAV and I love the ladies voice, directions are very soothing, however, they don't give you enough warning for turns coming up. I find I have to glance at the map.

Also re: headrests, mine do pivot back and forth, seem to be ok.....thanks for that info.

My previous car was a Lincoln, and even though this one, I must admit, drives like a dream, I miss the spaciousness of the Lincoln, but at least this car is a bit hipper. Oh an exciting thing..... my car is a metallic creamy white and I had the insignia and letters done gold.....it looks fabulous!

Quick Reply: Ls 430 Navigation System (I'm a new owner) also headrest question