LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

60k service questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 06:45 AM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60k service questions

Looking for advice on 60k service for my 2002 LS430, which is my next scheduled service. For the "menu" service the dealer wants $1,150 which includes replacing alot of things not called for in the owners manual. Some of these things include replacing the transmission fluid, spark plugs, drive belt, radiator cap, etc. (but NOT the timing belt). I bought the car with 48,000 miles on it back in May 2009 and the prior first owner had all the servicing done at the lexus dealership and always had the "menu" service done so for instance he had the transmission and differential fluid changed at both the 30k and 45k services. Is there any reason to have anything done other than what is called for in the owners manual. Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jay33; 01-19-10 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-19-10, 06:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think replacing your spark plugs would be necessary at 60k, you should be good until at least 90k on that. Replacing all fluids would probably be good, and maybe even the drive belt which is not nearly as big of a deal as the timing belt.
Old 01-19-10, 07:07 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

I would go with what the manual rercommends,, I doubt Lexus has placed their service requirements at a mileage point that would allow car components to be in danger,,

think the dealers (at times) figure if ya can afford driving this level of car you can afford a few extra service items,,

Derry
Old 01-19-10, 07:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would find out exactly what the car had done to it at 30 and 45K, then go from there. For example, if a fluid (brake, transmission, etc.) was replaced at 45K, I definitely would not do it again at 60. I'd probably do only what the manual recommends, not the dealer menu.
Old 01-19-10, 08:04 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Attached is the 60K maintenance schedule for your 2002 LS430.

Your spark plugs are due for their first change at 120K -- same as my 2000 LS400 which has essentially the same maintenance requirements as your 02 LS430. My 00 LS400 is at 119K and it is still running great on the original factory installed spark plugs. When they are changed at the 120K maintenance in March, I expect the original spark plugs to be in excellent condition as were the old plugs on my previous 90 LS400 were when they were changed at 90K and 180K.

OK, it was way back in 2005, but back then I paid only $370 before tax for the 60K maintenance on my 00 LS and that even included replacing the transmission and diff fluids which is really only required under the severe service (special operating conditions) schedule.

The 60K maintenance was done by the book an an indie repair shop that specializes in Lexus - owned by a former Lexus dealer service writer -- and the work was performed by a former Lexus dealer mechanic. Only OEM parts were used.

Even adjusted for minimal inflation, I can't imagine paying more than about $500 for a 60K service on an 02 LS430. Of course my indie shop's waiting room is not as plush as the dealers and it has no WiFi or free pastries; it has only one flat panel TV for entertainment. They don't provide loaner cars but they do provide a shuttle service.

Even better, the indie shop I use has never once in 14 years damaged one of my cars like the Lexus dealer has done multiple times and has never tried to rip me off by telling me that a major component was defective when it was not.
Attached Thumbnails 60k service questions-2002-ls430-60k-maint-log.png  
Old 01-19-10, 09:20 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
...my indie shop's waiting room is not as plush as the dealers and it has no WiFi or free pastries; it has only one flat panel TV for entertainment. They don't provide loaner cars.....
Sounds like a slum, not up to the pampering standards.

Seriously, I'd rather use a shop like that than a Lexus dealer, but key is KNOWING who you're dealing with.
Old 01-19-10, 01:31 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I stay away from the dealer's service menu packages - the package menu services (30,60,90K etc) are overpriced and designed to put more dollars in the dealer's pocket. These high dollar packages evolved over the years because the cars were so reliable that service departments were going broke so they designed these overpriced maint packages.

Get to know your service writer and tell them you need to economize on car maintenance and you are not interested in the typical service packages. Tell them that you only want to perform factory/manual recommended interval services. And also tell them you will purchase and replace the easy stuff like air filters, windshield blades, cabin air filters yourself. If you get a good service writer he will understand (they are not high salary folks) and know exactly where you are coming from and hook you up. If they balk, ask to speak to another service writer.
Old 01-19-10, 04:12 PM
jay33
Rookie

thanks for all the suggestions so far. i'm inclined to follow the recommened service per the owners manual. can't imagine the dealership would refuse to do the service per the manual as opposed to their menu.
Old 01-19-10, 04:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by jay33
thanks for all the suggestions so far. i'm inclined to follow the recommened service per the owners manual. can't imagine the dealership would refuse to do the service per the manual as opposed to their menu.
Just don't forget that service writers are often mainly salesmen. Their job is to sell services whether the services are needed or not. The environment varies among dealerships. Service writers who don't "produce" in some dealerships are out the door quickly. I've seen service writers use techniques from gentle cajoling all the way to outright intimidation in attempts to sell unneeded services.

Knowledge is power. Understand what you want and what is needed and don't let anybody pressure you even if the pressure is applied in a "nice" way.
Old 01-19-10, 05:42 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Jabberwock and Kansas talk as if they have been on the inside of some dealer operations. I have, and I know they are correct.
And this isn't a slam against dealerships, but just reality....
Old 01-21-10, 10:50 PM
peppis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After calling four dealerships and getting a different answer from every single one of them on 60k service on my ls430, I gave up and did the work myself. I saved a load of cash. As an example I would use my transmission. They wanted to charge me over $150 for a “drain and fill” ….A DRAIN AND FILL for $150? You gotta be freakin kidding me. The answer I got was “hey this is a lexus”. What the hell is that suppose to mean? I guess it means that I better get ready for highway robbery. Needless to say I performed the drain and fill in my driveway in under 30minutes and all I had to pay for was the 4qts of type 4 fluid ($24).
Sorry that I went on a rant but it truly was a frustrating experience. Thankfully I’m a bit of a gearhead and enjoy working on cars……….well, every once in a while
Old 01-22-10, 05:06 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah i know this dude up at the jiffy lube by my work who does all the fluids for about 1/3 what lex charges, i can watch him do it, and i trust that this dude is doing it right cuz he always talks to me about how cool he thinks my car's are. i get much more respect from this mechanic than any lex dealership who is basically robbing me with a smile.
Old 01-22-10, 11:18 AM
jay33
Rookie

Originally Posted by sojah
yeah i know this dude up at the jiffy lube by my work who does all the fluids for about 1/3 what lex charges, i can watch him do it, and i trust that this dude is doing it right cuz he always talks to me about how cool he thinks my car's are. i get much more respect from this mechanic than any lex dealership who is basically robbing me with a smile.
I don't think i'd call someone who works at Jiffy Lube a mechanic! Lol.
Old 01-22-10, 02:25 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

so does that mean i'm not an engineer then ???

but microsoft says i am....
Old 01-22-10, 02:53 PM
DaytonaSTi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some mechanics do work at Jiffy Lube, maybe I wouldn't trust him to rebuild my motor but fluid changes, you bet!

No, you are not an engineer unless you have a stamp lulz!