LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you rate the 430 now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 01:17 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

There are some more subtle reasons for choosing to drive an LS 430. I happen to like super high quality stuff that isn't flashy or screams "I'm rich" to the public.

Its why I wear a very simple looking Omega watch instead of a Rolex. And its why I drive the LS430 instead of the latest S550. I honestly don't want anyone to notice me driving by in my daily life. I enjoy being as invisible as possible to the general public and an LS430 does that better than most of the other high end Lux-mobiles available today. Maybe the current Acura RL is even better in terms of stealth but is just so ugly I couldn't do it.
Old 01-19-10, 03:17 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting. We have so few LSs here in Michigan that I'm a bit concerned about standing out too much when I buy the car. Of course, if I were really worried about that, I'd get a Lucerne or last gen Taurus (the big boxy one).
Old 01-19-10, 03:37 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that the LS's style is somewhat mild compared to its competition but as far as not getting looks, this car receives its fair amount of gazing. At least in my experience, i get looks and sometimes remarks as if i were "ballin" or making six figures but i dont. It may not get the oohs and aww's of an bentley but it holds its own when its cleaned.
Old 01-19-10, 07:08 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What is that?

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I agree that the LS's style is somewhat mild compared to its competition but as far as not getting looks, this car receives its fair amount of gazing. At least in my experience, i get looks and sometimes remarks as if i were "ballin" or making six figures but i dont. It may not get the oohs and aww's of an bentley but it holds its own when its cleaned.
Exactly... those who know the LS appreciate it. Those who don't think it's an MB. Then those that really don't know think that it's some big caddy. So, either way, it's just that way it is. We love it, that's enough...
Old 01-19-10, 07:29 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Exactly... those who know the LS appreciate it. Those who don't think it's an MB. Then those that really don't know think that it's some big caddy. So, either way, it's just that way it is. We love it, that's enough...

Plus 1 homie!
Old 01-20-10, 05:58 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I for one really like the looks of the LS430. It is one of the most unique-looking mainstream cars on the road because it doesn't share its shape with any modern car (the old S Mercedes no longer look modern, IMO), and it's just fundamentally a good looking car to boot. I DO NOT like the way the LS460 looks like an oversized ES, and the way it and most every other luxury car looks generic nowadays. They all look like their entry-level counterparts, and they all look very similar across the various brands. Do not like.
Old 01-20-10, 08:33 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alright...

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I for one really like the looks of the LS430. It is one of the most unique-looking mainstream cars on the road because it doesn't share its shape with any modern car (the old S Mercedes no longer look modern, IMO), and it's just fundamentally a good looking car to boot. I DO NOT like the way the LS460 looks like an oversized ES, and the way it and most every other luxury car looks generic nowadays. They all look like their entry-level counterparts, and they all look very similar across the various brands. Do not like.
+1 to you too homie (not the clown)...

The LS460 was bad enough as it was, now with the 2010 'refresh' it went from looking like a big ES, to looking like a big Camry. HOLY SMOKES.. what happened????

Yes, the back-3-gen. S class that the LS sort of looks like definitely did not age as gracefully as the 430 has.

Exterior 430 > 460. Interior I'm afraid I like the 460 better, only because the lines, buttons, switches, etc. are newer and look more modern.
Old 01-20-10, 09:25 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Interior I'm afraid I like the 460 better, only because the lines, buttons, switches, etc. are newer and look more modern.
The 460 does have a very nicely laid-out interior -- it's more cozy-feeling and I guess I'd have to say more modern feeling. But I still like the 430 interior just fine, and it doesn't look "outdated" to me like a past-model BMW does, for example. Surprisingly to me, driving them back-to-back I found that I like the seat in the 430 better than the 460. I find the 460 seat to be firmer and tighter, but not more comfortable.
Old 01-21-10, 04:34 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
There are some more subtle reasons for choosing to drive an LS 430. I happen to like super high quality stuff that isn't flashy or screams "I'm rich" to the public.

Its why I wear a very simple looking Omega watch instead of a Rolex. And its why I drive the LS430 instead of the latest S550. I honestly don't want anyone to notice me driving by in my daily life. I enjoy being as invisible as possible to the general public and an LS430 does that better than most of the other high end Lux-mobiles available today. Maybe the current Acura RL is even better in terms of stealth but is just so ugly I couldn't do it.
I think the Genesis is the right car 4 u (I enjoy being as invisible as possible to the general public)...
Old 01-21-10, 04:36 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I6turbo
The 460 does have a very nicely laid-out interior -- it's more cozy-feeling and I guess I'd have to say more modern feeling. But I still like the 430 interior just fine, and it doesn't look "outdated" to me like a past-model BMW does, for example. Surprisingly to me, driving them back-to-back I found that I like the seat in the 430 better than the 460. I find the 460 seat to be firmer and tighter, but not more comfortable.
I feel like there was huge change/upgrade from LS400 interior to LS430 interior. Totally new. But from LS430 to LS460, I felt the interior was very familiar. Definitely improvement, but not big enough differences like the previous change up.
Old 01-21-10, 04:39 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
honestly i still think the ls430 is one of the best built cars in terms of quality, fit and finish.
YES, YES, YES, but if it had better performance and better styling, it would be the perfect car.
Old 01-21-10, 06:10 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Your probably right but I can't do the Genesis as the original Hyundai quality is burned into my brain cells. Back in the late 80's we had a nanny that had a Hyundai Exel I think it was. Anyway it was the most unmitigated broke down POS I had ever seen - constantly broken and almost unrepairable. You could break the plastic parts of the car off easily with your hand. The Genisis would be a good stealth car but I can't buy one ever.
Old 01-21-10, 08:16 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Your probably right but I can't do the Genesis as the original Hyundai quality is burned into my brain cells. Back in the late 80's we had a nanny that had a Hyundai Exel I think it was. Anyway it was the most unmitigated broke down POS I had ever seen - constantly broken and almost unrepairable. You could break the plastic parts of the car off easily with your hand. The Genisis would be a good stealth car but I can't buy one ever.
My wife (before we were married) had an Excel as her first car back at the same time, and they were giant POS for sure -- didn't particularly break much, but was a POS. As much as that modest start tarnishes their image, it also makes me appreciate them today because of how far they've come. Unlike the domestics, Hyundai/Kia have dramatically, DRAMATICALLY improved their cars with each generational update, to the point that they are literally in the class with the Japanese now. I test drove a Genesis sedan 4.6 nearly back-to-back with a GS350 and the Genesis 4.6 simply kicks the GS350's a$$. Period. Of course you're comparing a loaded V8 to a V6, but the V8 Genesis is ~10K less expensive, so it's a more than fair comparison, IMO.

So, as much as their "heritage" is kinda ugly, the admirable job that they've done as a marque offsets it for me. Well, somewhat, at least.

Last edited by I6turbo; 01-21-10 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-21-10, 08:42 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone got any insight on the new(er) hyundai equuios or whatever it is called... i am a toyota fan for life and normally don't even want to look at a korean kar but i can't get that image of that new equuos out of my head... especially knowing the price as well... i hate to admit it but i may actually like that car at some point.
Old 09-18-12, 07:24 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
anyone got any insight on the new(er) hyundai equuios or whatever it is called... i am a toyota fan for life and normally don't even want to look at a korean kar but i can't get that image of that new equuos out of my head... especially knowing the price as well... i hate to admit it but i may actually like that car at some point.
Lexus might be Lexus, but my two flagships say Toyota all over them...

Just got screwed on the Lexus Platinum warranty and had to replace my SC430. I have an LS430 and often drive my brothers LS 460L..

The Genesis I just picked up is faster, better optioned, bigger inside, and in my opinion better looking than the LS460. The Navi is better, as is the sound system Lexicon over Mark Levinson.

Quality of the materials, Lexus wins hands down, the Lexus has a much better ride, stronger AC, and all the gadgets just feel better.

As a loyal Lexus owner, I have to say the two cars are in the same class, the LS460 top of the class, the Genesis, bottom of the class. The Genesis is much better than our LS430. I don't know how much I would pay for an LS out the door, but I got a $12000 discount, rebates and dealer kick in, bringing the cost of a 429 HP (40 more than an LS) Genesis about half the price of the MSRP base LS.

I did drive the EQUOS (spelling?) and I thought it was not tastefully done, as if it was designed for the Rap stars.

Truth is Lexus needs to be very worried the way MB BMW JAG lost sleep over the LS400. Forgot to mention, JD puts the quality of the Genesis above all premium midsize cars, the number two is the E class, Lexus is down on the list. Though the LS is the better the car, it is certainly not worth the cost difference. Hopefully this will make Lexus push the envelope to get ahead of the competition, and start making cars the Koreans can't copy. (yet)