LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

D/C Cut Fuse Trouble

Old 01-10-10, 01:43 PM
irek2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D/C Cut Fuse Trouble

Does anyone have a manual for a 2002 LS430? I need to know what the D/C Cut fuse is, and what it controls...

My battery continued to die when I didn't drive my car for a day or so. I put a meter on the battery, and sure enough, there is a draw(While the car is off). So, I started pulling fuses, to see if I could isolate the draw. I started with the cabin fuses, but no luck. When I got to the engine bay fuses, I pulled a 15a fuse, which is titled "D/C Cut", and once I pulled that one, the draw went away. So, what the heck is a D/C Cut, and what does it control? If I can figure out what it controls, I can then go forth on trying to find out what is drawing the power while the car is off. Haven't been able to find anything about a D/C cut fuse anywhere on the net. Hopefully someone out there can help. Thanks!
Old 01-10-10, 02:19 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts

I work for ALLDATA so I looked this up. D/C Cut, a 20A fuse feeds in passenger side junction box by the right kick panel. The affected circuits are:
  • Dome - 10A
  • MPX-B1 7.5A
  • MPX-B2 7.5A
  • MPX-B3 7.5A

I attached some pics. I'd check the dome lights and make sure nothing is switched to the ON position.
Attached Thumbnails D/C Cut Fuse Trouble-dccut-01.gif   D/C Cut Fuse Trouble-dccut-02.gif   D/C Cut Fuse Trouble-dccut-03.gif   D/C Cut Fuse Trouble-dccut-04.gif   D/C Cut Fuse Trouble-dccut-05.gif  

The following 2 users liked this post by unixadm:
casotto (12-22-17), Jabberwock (12-23-17)
Old 01-10-10, 02:26 PM
irek2002
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, yes, it is a 20a fuse, not 15 like I believe I said... I will check it out. Thank you very much!
Old 01-10-10, 02:29 PM
irek2002
Driver School Candidate

Geez, I hope that it's a dome light! I guess this is the fuse they pull out at the factory to prevent battery drainage during transport. MPX B-1, B-2, and B-3 don't look like much fun to try and diagnose..
The following users liked this post:
Yamae (03-01-24)
Old 01-10-10, 02:32 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Get in the car and lock it with the key fob. Check all the lighting including in the trunk. If that isn't it, at least you should be able to isolate the circuit by pulling each fuse.
The following 2 users liked this post by unixadm:
AngoLS430 (03-01-24), casotto (12-22-17)
Old 01-10-10, 02:55 PM
irek2002
Driver School Candidate

I will do that and let you know what I find. Thanks again
Old 01-10-10, 03:24 PM
irek2002
Driver School Candidate

So, I didn't realize there was another fuse panel in the cabin area on the passenger side. I pulled MPX-B3, and that was the problem. It indicates that fuse controls Tilt and Telscoping steering, headlight switch, windshield wiper and washer switch, and turn signal switch...

MPX-B3 is showing a 1 amp draw...
Old 01-10-10, 03:34 PM
irek2002
Driver School Candidate

No lights are on anywhere in or out of the vehicle. Maybe a bad switch trickling power?
Old 01-10-10, 06:37 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Does your steering wheel move about freely? Perhaps it's trying to continue it's retraction and it's stuck?
Old 01-10-10, 07:38 PM
irek2002
Driver School Candidate

Now that you mention it, I have noticed that sometimes the steering wheel doesn't return to it's up position. I just went out and took the key in and out, and sure enough, the steering wheel locked up after about the 10th time. I can't even get the steering wheel to move by using the switch on the side of the column. So, where in the world do I go next? Is something binding? Are the motors shot? Is there a relay that might be on the verge? Any suggestions? Obviously when it locks up, it is still drawing power, so what exactly is using the power? Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-11-10, 02:38 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Well you have one of two problems most likely. The column mechanism is sticking, or you have a bad motor assembly. I know the columns in these cars are not the most reliable, so you'd have to check around to see what the repair would cost. I wonder if you could get the column to a comfortable position and then disconnect the motors?
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (12-23-17)
Old 01-13-10, 08:17 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by unixadm
Well you have one of two problems most likely. The column mechanism is sticking, or you have a bad motor assembly. I know the columns in these cars are not the most reliable, so you'd have to check around to see what the repair would cost. I wonder if you could get the column to a comfortable position and then disconnect the motors?

I wonder if there is simply a disconnect switch somewhere on the column, which prevents the tilt/telescoping mechanism? My RL had one.

I'd check for myself but I'm at work right now and have a work truck...(well, pos Chevy Uplander minivan actually.)
Old 08-02-17, 08:57 PM
thuyhung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help for 01 LS400 battery draw 1.4 A. If I pull out a 20A DC Cut fuse, a current draw drop to 0.12A. Three fuses MPX-B1; MPX-B2 and MPX-B3 make a most of current dawn ( each of them draw about 300 something to more than 500 ma ). Dome fuse not draw current when all door are closed. I disconnect a wiring to steering telescopic ECU and a current drop to 1.3A. Disconnect a passenger door ECU current drop to 1.2A (connector from Passenger door ECU to passenger door lock drop 100 ma). I did try to disconnect A/C ECU, driver door ECU; Skid control ECU; gateway ECU; Distance control ECU; Headlight beam level ECU, Navigation, CD changer; Amplifier in a trunk; Navigation DVD in a trunk; Front control ECU, Disconnect combination meter, those ECU not much current drop. Any one know what to do next? Thanks

Last edited by thuyhung; 08-02-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-22-17, 06:37 PM
casotto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Unixadm, I want first thank you for your input, thanks to the data you are presenting every body is learning some! But I think that the schematics are different on a 2006 gs 430! I am having a lot of trouble with the battery being drained within 3/4 days max, and i pin-pointed the trouble to the circuits D/C Cut 20a and MPX-B 10a, both in the engine compartement passenger side.
Although there is a mention of the first one in your thread the MPX-B I still don't know what feeds.Also the D/C Cut seems to branch differently in the GS model am i right or wrong? I thank you for your time. Happy holidays!
Old 05-11-23, 06:44 AM
jm141414
10th Gear

Originally Posted by irek2002
Does anyone have a manual for a 2002 LS430? I need to know what the D/C Cut fuse is, and what it controls...

My battery continued to die when I didn't drive my car for a day or so. I put a meter on the battery, and sure enough, there is a draw(While the car is off). So, I started pulling fuses, to see if I could isolate the draw. I started with the cabin fuses, but no luck. When I got to the engine bay fuses, I pulled a 15a fuse, which is titled "D/C Cut", and once I pulled that one, the draw went away. So, what the heck is a D/C Cut, and what does it control? If I can figure out what it controls, I can then go forth on trying to find out what is drawing the power while the car is off. Haven't been able to find anything about a D/C cut fuse anywhere on the net. Hopefully someone out there can help. Thanks!
the DC cut is the fuse they pull when the car is shipped to shut everything off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D/C Cut Fuse Trouble