LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

keyless ingnition would not turn

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 05:11 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts
Default keyless ingnition would not turn

In the first month of owning my car, an incident happened to me that reminds me of how a complicated the LS can be. Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else.

My wife and I were out doing errands and had made a couple of stops and we were getting back in the car to go back home. The car has smart key feature, we were still getting used to the wonderful idea of just walking up and the car recognizes you, starts without inserting the key, etc. So we get in the car and I try to turn to turn the ignition switch (like I have 50 times before) and it won't turn, won't budge. I guess the first thing we think is the smart key feature has broken or there is some security feature lockout button that I have hit by mistake. So I try to put the key in the ignition and turn it. The switch won't budge even with the key in it. We try getting out of the car, locking it, then unlocking getting back in, various things like that - looking pretty stupid in that parking lot I'm sure.

My wife has the LS manual out and is reading and trying to suggest things but no luck. In that moment we are disappointed in that we think the smart key or the ignition system or the security system has somehow failed in our "new" CPO used car. Then after sitting for 5 minutes thinking about what to do, we call the 1-800-lexus number for roadside assistance help. The person answered the phone, listened to my problem description and immediately suggested wiggling the steering wheel while trying to turn the key. Duh - I felt pretty silly. The ignition interlock needed the wheel turned just a half inch or so and then the key turned easily.

We were very relieved of course and glad we had the Lexus 800 service, but it was interesting that we assumed multiple other more complicated things/systems had failed or not set correctly instead of just trying the simple steering wheel wiggle that most drivers would immediate assume was the problem when the key doesn't turn. We are fairly resourceful people but I think the complexity of the car prevented our trying the obvious solution to a simple problem in this case.
Old 12-14-09, 05:23 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, thats happened to me before s well. I remember when I couldnt turn the key at all I was frantic. I by chance after 10 minutes of the ignition not turning just move my steering wheel out of frustratin and finally the ignition turned. HAHAHAHA! I was so happy when that happened because I thought it was serious and costly to repair the issue. Glad it was no issue and happy it was no issue for you and your wife!!! L.G.N.M
Old 12-14-09, 06:13 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep the old steering wheel was in the lock position will cause the SK not to work, this happen to me when I first got mine.
Old 12-14-09, 08:27 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

happens with every car
Old 12-14-09, 10:14 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vpanin
happens with every car
... except on certain GM cars (like Corvettes) that have had the electro-mechanical steering column lock removed or disabled because of documented cases of the lock never disengaging or LOCKING WHILE THE CAR IS IN MOTION. (What an exciting way to see the U.S.A. in your Chevrolet.) I installed an aftermarket column lock defeat on my 02 Corvette.
Old 12-14-09, 11:23 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the opposite happen. I tried to start with the key in my pocket and the ignition wouldn't turn. I 1st tried to move the steering wheel a little, but still not working. I then took the key out of my pocket and held it closer to the dash and it started fine. Guess the battery in the key is getting weak
Old 12-14-09, 03:36 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had read a section in one of the manuals,. that basically said if you park the car with the wheel turned the improper way on a slight incline that the car will not start without twisting the steering wheel. I have not tried it as a test. but notice that each time that this has happened to me. that the car was on an incline of some sort.