LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A few issues with my 06 LS

Old 11-28-09, 08:24 PM
HKinDC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few issues with my 06 LS

Absolutely the best car I have ever owned. 44K on my 06 burgundy and tan 430 with nav. - No warranty issues so far!
Here are the only things i need help with.
The windshield has tiny specks on it. They don't clean off with cleanser. I haven't waxed it with the Porter Cable as I do the body because I am cautious about doing any damage. Should I use the buffer?

Then, the windshield blades are a puzzle. The wipers don't flex all the way up as most wipers do for easy changing. Does everyone just work with them only slightly flexed to change the blades?
Thanks in advance
Old 11-28-09, 09:43 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

I have the specks on my windshield as well which I believe are tiny chips in the glass. I had it with an orbital but it didn't make any difference. I don't think theres much that can be done about it.
Old 11-29-09, 04:59 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely tiny specks/pits generated from sand and other small debris blown from other traffic into the air and your windshield hits them at highway speed,, very common for cars that are not all slow speed in-town miles,, if you have or can borrow a 10X jeweler loupe eyepiece you can see the small indents or pits,,

when you drive into the sun at a given angle you will notice them more,, don't know any cure except a new glass,,

as for the blades, sounds like someone has installed improper blades,, my 05 has gone through several sets and never have had one that did not contour to the window shape while operating,,

Derry
Old 11-29-09, 05:30 AM
HKinDC
Driver School Candidate

CG lover

I'm sorry, but you misunderstood about the wipers. I was referring to the fact that the entire arm doesn't flex away from the windshield and stay that way- like they do on just about every other car I have seen - just so you can wash the windshield or change the blades. I don't think my 06 LS is the only one that behaves that way! - It's not a big deal, just an inconvenience.
Old 11-29-09, 10:35 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

wipers - nothing you can do about that. Poor design I guess. I noticed it when I went to change my wipers. Made it slightly more interesting to do.

window - could be tiny chips or could be something like sap from a tree. Try taking a straight edge razor to it (be cautious as the corners will scratch the glass, use a little water with some soap in it as a lube). I'll have to try that jewlers loop thing. The day I picked my car up from the dealership the windshield was remarkably clean. Looked brand new, like the glass wasn't there. Even went back and asked their detailer what they use expecting to hear about some unique commercial grade glass cleaner (water down windex and newspapers). Let us know any results you get
Old 11-29-09, 03:31 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing much you can do with wiper except to turn them on, and turn the car off just as they're in full up position. This way, it gives you maximum clearance, but then you have to stretch to reach the blades. Just bad design, but probably contributes to the good aerodynamics of the vehicle. I've only needed to change them once and I found them okay, so I can live with it.
Old 11-29-09, 04:01 PM
HKinDC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for their replies. Frankly, concerning the windshield, I expected more "me, too"s and "here's what I did" replies. They seem to be chips. Looking through them sort of effects the "quality of the drive" experience, but everything else is so perfect, I can "see past it.(sorry)

I would assume that the windshields were the same throughout their production or at least for a large chunk of it. Maybe they lightened it up for the last year of the 430. I'll try the Porter-Cable on it.
Thanks again
Old 11-29-09, 09:09 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The wiper blade recessed a little under the hood so you do'nt see much of it on normal driving. To change the blade, turn the ign. on and turn the wiper on, then turn off the ign. so the wiper arms are in the middle if the windshield to change the blade. This wasn't a bad design, it was disign that way. LS 400 was the same when you change blade.
Old 11-30-09, 05:54 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
The wiper blade ...... This wasn't a bad design, it was disign that way. LS 400 was the same when you change blade.
LOL Agreed. Who would call that a "bad design?" How freakin' easy does something have to be? It's no problem whatsoever to change the blades if you just do it right.
Old 11-30-09, 08:27 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcory
Even went back and asked their detailer what they use expecting to hear about some unique commercial grade glass cleaner (water down windex and newspapers). Let us know any results you get
I use Stoners in the aerosol can. Best stuff I've ever found for windows. Newspapers optional.
Old 11-30-09, 10:07 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Thumbs down the wipers DO suck..and badly

Originally Posted by I6turbo
LOL Agreed. Who would call that a "bad design?" How freakin' easy does something have to be? It's no problem whatsoever to change the blades if you just do it right.
You're right. I don't call it a bad design either. I call it a HORRIBLE design!

How freakin' easy does something have to be you ask? It should be as freakin' easy as the LS's brake pad replacement. How's that!? C'mon..they are WIPERS!

I thought only only AMERICAN car wipers (pre 2007...lol) didn't fold away from the glass. Not a 3 year old LEXUS---BUILT IN JAPAN!!

I started a thread on how bad, wait...scratch that...how HORRIBLY designed they are. Not only replacement of the blade or insert, but the drivers side is 3" WIDE with linkages, it causes an annoying blindspot everytime they swipe!!! Also..keep in mind I have driven in the rain less than I have fingers...so all of you that say "you don't even notice it", it's probably just because you're ACCUSTOMED to it!

They STINK!

Ps...for the fanbois, has everyone forgotten about the thread trashing the wipers because there are so few aftermarket wiper blades/inserts available for them?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 11-30-09 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 10:10 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
The wiper blade recessed a little under the hood so you do'nt see much of it on normal driving. To change the blade, turn the ign. on and turn the wiper on, then turn off the ign. so the wiper arms are in the middle if the windshield to change the blade. This wasn't a bad design, it was disign that way. LS 400 was the same when you change blade.
Oh yea. I just LOVE turning my wipers on when my windshield is nice and dry. That smooth sandpaper swiping action does WONDERS for the glass...not to mention those brand new wiper blades you just put on!

Now it's wiping the dust and pollen of your windshield....but...OH!--NO STREAKS! lolol!!!!!!

Gimme a break!

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 11-30-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 05:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
How freakin' easy does something have to be you ask? It should be as freakin' easy as the LS's brake pad replacement. How's that!? C'mon..they are WIPERS!
LOL Even if I thought changing wiper blades or inserts on an LS430 was a difficult mechanical job, I sure as h3ll wouldn't admit it on a public forum. But seriously, you're ranting -- it isn't a bad job at all.

I started a thread on how bad, wait...scratch that...how HORRIBLY designed they are. Not only replacement of the blade or insert, but the drivers side is 3" WIDE with linkages, it causes an annoying blindspot everytime they swipe!!! Also..keep in mind I have driven in the rain less than I have fingers...so all of you that say "you don't even notice it", it's probably just because you're ACCUSTOMED to it!
I agree, I would prefer a system with a narrow arm and a beam blade if the overall vehicle design and cowl layout would acomodate it, but the upside is that with a good quality wiper the current system works smoothly and quietly, which is more than you can say about a lot of systems with long arms and a long driver side blade.

Ps...for the fanbois, has everyone forgotten about the thread trashing the wipers because there are so few aftermarket wiper blades/inserts available for them?
How many different aftermarket models do you need to be available? Toyota provides inserts and Michelin provides top quality aftermarket beam blades as well as conventional blades. If you want the lowest/smallest profile blade (re: your comment about the blindspot above) you can buy the latest generation Michelin Radius beam blade at Wal-Mart for about $13 each -- look for the one that says "tested to one million wipes" to be sure you're getting the latest version which is an outstanding beam blade.
Old 12-01-09, 05:58 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Oh yea. I just LOVE turning my wipers on when my windshield is nice and dry. That smooth sandpaper swiping action does WONDERS for the glass...not to mention those brand new wiper blades you just put on!
You act like you can't clean the blade while it's parked at the bottom. I wipe my blade/windshield interface pretty much every time before turning on the wipers for the first time and there is NO PROBLEM doing it on the LS with them parked. The blades will lift an inch or so off the glass in the down position and you can slide a microfiber cloth under there no problem.
Old 12-01-09, 09:10 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I change my wiper blades in December of every year as a common maintenence item. Do it by just removing the the wiper assembly from the arm in the down position. Just flip the lever and remove and then replace the blade. Anybody could do it.

No big deal. Wonderful design.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A few issues with my 06 LS