LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2003 LS430 CD player problems

Old 11-24-09, 03:24 PM
bungeeb0b
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 LS430 CD player problems

Greetings, I am new at this so please be patient with me.
I have been unable to eject CD's from my Mark Levinson 6 disc player and am getting a "disc error" message. The first disc I tried to eject came out fine, then the error came up. Can anyone help?
Old 11-24-09, 04:17 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bungeeb0b
I have been unable to eject CD's from my Mark Levinson 6 disc player and am getting a "disc error" message. The first disc I tried to eject came out fine, then the error came up. Can anyone help?
Welcome to the club...unfortunately-for you-your very first post had to be on a negative---stuck cd.

I used the SEARCH funtion at the top of the page and found several solutions from other members that could benefit you. The 1st link below would obviously be easier as the 2nd involves taking the unit out from the dash...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-01-lx430.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...vi-w-pics.html

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
SixSeven (03-04-17)
Old 11-25-09, 08:11 AM
bungeeb0b
Driver School Candidate

Smile CD error repair

Thanks for the information joe42276.

I will get into the radio after the holiday and let you know how I make out.
Old 11-25-09, 08:15 AM
bungeeb0b
Driver School Candidate

Smile CD error repair

thankx for the info LS430inDE., I will try to do the repair after the holiday and let you know how it worked out.

Last edited by bungeeb0b; 11-25-09 at 08:17 AM. Reason: omission
Old 08-24-13, 10:29 AM
tazigdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bungeeb0b
Turn your stereo off. disconnect you battery for 3 to 5 minutes. Reconnect your battery, open your cd door, turn on your stereo and press the arrow button on the left to empty the changer. This is much easier then taking the cd changer out. I have done this 3 separate times on LS 400 and LS 430. It works feel free to contact me if you need help.
The following 2 users liked this post by tazigdad:
banjojimmy (08-12-23), SixSeven (03-04-17)
Old 10-20-13, 09:42 PM
Budster42
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love this thread! Saved my bacon when wifey's 02 LS430 Mark Levinson swallowed a CD, choked on it and wouldn't spit it back out. Disconnected battery, waited 10 min, reconnected, pressed eject and, as they say in France, Et voila! - out came the CD!

BTW - if you REALLY do need to remove the whole head unit, check out this link:

http://www.sound-repair.com/index.ph...-instructions/

Thanks for the help - budster42
The following 2 users liked this post by Budster42:
banjojimmy (08-12-23), SixSeven (03-04-17)
Old 10-20-13, 10:04 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I had this happen over the summer. I read on another Lexus forum that you can use an index card with a piece of double sided tape to pull the jammed disc out. It got my stuck CD out.
Old 11-01-15, 06:21 PM
Engel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CD Player - fixed!
Having put up with the clatttering Mark Levinson CD player for over 12 months, and being unable to find a swap-out replacement genuine unit, I bit the bullet and gave the head unit to a local car audio repairer.
They could get a new identical replacement CD changer mechanism from Pioneer, but 6 weeks wait.
They then did a bit of digging and discovered that the up-market Hondas have a Pioneer CD changer which is virtually identical to the Lexus one.
2 hours in the shop, and $295 later, all is fixed again with a complete new CD stack mechainism transplanted into the original head unit case.
Not only do I now have a brand new fully working CD changer, with warranty, but my ear is getting some relief from constant complaining from the passenger seat............
Worth every cent I reckon...!!
The following users liked this post:
SixSeven (03-04-17)
Old 04-19-20, 07:13 PM
Poppah
Driver School Candidate

Default CD changer

Do you have any idea on what would cause the sound to only play on the left channel when playing a CD?
Old 04-20-20, 10:46 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I am only guessing, but if other sources like the FM radio or cassette deck is not displaying that symptom then a loose connection from the CD player to the head unit would be the first thing to check.....
Old 04-20-20, 11:03 AM
Poppah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
I am only guessing, but if other sources like the FM radio or cassette deck is not displaying that symptom then a loose connection from the CD player to the head unit would be the first thing to check.....
Thank you for the correspondence and Tell are you thinking a connection behind the dash or the trunk?
Old 06-18-20, 10:43 PM
Poppah
Driver School Candidate

Default CD changer

Originally Posted by Poppah
Do you have any idea on what would cause the sound to only play on the left channel when playing a CD?
Did you ever identify the problem with your Changer?
Old 08-12-23, 05:12 PM
banjojimmy
9th Gear

GREAT FIX! I disconnedted the neg terminal, waited 10 minutes and reconnected. When I got back inside, the stuck CD had already ejected. System now working normally. Thanks.
Old 01-18-24, 07:20 PM
demark1
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

2005 LS430 actually, with Nav (ultra lux package). To revive this thread, I just screwed up my CD changer tonight. Cycled too fast from disc 6 down, to 1 then changing my mind too fast. . All 6 CDs were already loaded, and now i get cd error on any track. Eject button does not work, nor does "load" open the door (probably since there are already 6 cds inside.. Each time car starts or I switch to CD player (or attempt to switch tracks), it clatters then reads "cd error". I don't think battery disconnect will help here. Ages ago with an over-thick cd I used a credit car in slot trick, and the bad disc ejected, but I cannot even get the front slot to open now, and I think the jam is worse.

Not sure if I should disconnect battery, take it to audio repair place, etc. They could remove unit easily with proper pry tools etc as per videos on this thread. I can only imagine what a dealer would charge, if they would even tackle it given that I doubt the part exists anymore new. I am not handy even to remove the battery frankly to try that. If there was some way to open the cd door, i might try to pry out a cd or use credit ard trick, but I have doubts that would work.

I am not feeling good about this...

Any suggestions? If I bought a replacement used head unit on eBay, does it need dealer programming? If I can remove he head unit, how to open the cd changer? Looking for best option to eventually get a working player back in here. Getting my 6 CDs out would also be nice... Or perhaps time for a new head unit (Vais or whatever) but I really like the original look and function...

Old 01-20-24, 11:51 AM
demark1
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

An update: turned on the car today and did not here the whirring bad noise. opened the CD player flap, and found 1 disc had ejected! I ejected all 6 to be safe, reloaded, and all is again well. Odd... not sure what unraveled the mess, but I am a happy person. I had pressed eject/switched disc multiple times before with no luck, so am surprised and pleased it self-repaired.