LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 02:19 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm having trouble finding a shop with a press that's available on the weekends. The local Les Schwab is open on the weekends however. But their policy is to not install parts other than what they sell. Meaning, they can remove the old bushings for me, but I'd still have to figure out a way to press the new bushings back in. I get that the bench vise isn't gonna' work so well pressing out the bushing. Is it just as difficult to press the new bushing in as it is to remove the old one? Meaning, do you think my bench vise might work to push the new bushing back in? Or should it be a press both out and in?
Old 09-18-14, 03:33 PM
Lex223
Driver School Candidate

I just had my local Lexus dealer replace these on my (new to me) '04 LS430 (145k mi on the clock).

Out the door plus alignment was around $750

When I called around to 2 Toyota dealers about this repair, they were maybe $100 cheaper. Just a little FYI for anyone facing this repair.

Last edited by Lex223; 09-18-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 03:59 PM
trancein
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are some of the symptoms that led to believe that lower control arm bushing needed replacement? Right now I feel a slight steering jerk when I pull up driveway bump. Also a little movement if I go over bump. 04 ls430 with 66k
Old 09-18-14, 04:10 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by honasbone
Do you think a bench vise would be enough to both press the old bushing out and a new bushing in? Seems a common tool used in many a bushing swap jobs out there. Not sure if it's appropriate (strong enough) for this particular bushing though. Thoughts?
There might be an industrial size vise out there somewhere that could handle it, but in general the answer is "NO"
Old 09-18-14, 04:12 PM
Lex223
Driver School Candidate

I felt some play in the front wheels when going over bumps or coming out of a turn and applying brakes.

The dealer was the one that alerted me to the bushings that were leaking.

The car does feel a little tighter since replacement....might just be Jedi mind tricks though.
Old 09-18-14, 08:56 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex223
I just had my local Lexus dealer replace these on my (new to me) '04 LS430 (145k mi on the clock).

Out the door plus alignment was around $750

When I called around to 2 Toyota dealers about this repair, they were maybe $100 cheaper. Just a little FYI for anyone facing this repair.
Wow, expensive. Did you do the whole arms? When I had mine done, and I really did not need them, I purchased the bushing myself through the online department and the labor was around $150. This is through Lexus of South Atlanta. Came out to be around $250 plus alignment and a free tire rotation. Less $375 when it was all said and done.

I have always sourced the oem parts myself either LOSA or Sewell and I negotiate labor rates with my dealer. If you find a friendly service adviser you will be surprised how they can drop prices to be on par with an independent shop.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-19-14 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 11:51 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by honasbone
So, I'm having trouble finding a shop with a press that's available on the weekends. The local Les Schwab is open on the weekends however. But their policy is to not install parts other than what they sell. Meaning, they can remove the old bushings for me, but I'd still have to figure out a way to press the new bushings back in. I get that the bench vise isn't gonna' work so well pressing out the bushing. Is it just as difficult to press the new bushing in as it is to remove the old one? Meaning, do you think my bench vise might work to push the new bushing back in? Or should it be a press both out and in?
Check with local high school and college instructors teaching automotive classes, see if they will have students perform task as a learning experience
Old 09-19-14, 10:31 AM
honasbone
Driver

Appreciate it Midwest and xtr3me.
Old 12-25-14, 05:52 PM
jazzygirl
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2003 Lexus ls430 Lower Control Arm Bushing (AKA Caster bushing) Factory Part #

Originally Posted by TubbyGs430
could you please post the part number for replacement bushing. so i could have it when i go to lexus to order. thank you very much
I just purchased a pair from Bell Lexus in Scottsdale for approximately $75.00 each shipping included. Great communication and fast shipping through Ebay.
Old 01-12-15, 04:14 PM
jazzygirl
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Place new bushings in freezer approximately one hour prior to beginning removal.... cold shrinks.

The bushings were cracked on my 430. Simply take the front wheels off, place appropriate blocks/jackstands and remove the three bolts on the bushing and housing and take loose the plastic undercarriage guard. All this takes about fifteen minutes.

Then we placed the bushing in vise. Take a Sawzall and shove the blade in one of the existing cracks and cut the middle of the bushing out. Then carefully make one or two cuts through the rubber and metal portions of the bushing towards the housing. Using a vise, drive out the remaining pieces... very simple and easy!

Use sandpaper or steel wool to clean housing.

Apply thin layer of grease to housing. Take new bushing out of freezer and start it straight with a hammer.
If you have a large vise such as a blacksmiths vise or better yet a press then you can press in fairly easy with the proper metal piece that applies pressure equally across the perimeter above the bushing.

Make sure you have the little nubs placed at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. Not sure that it makes a difference, however that is how the factory bushing was oriented, and looking at the bushing after removal, it may be relevant.

So easy a girl could do it.... with the right tools and some help... LOL!

The following 3 users liked this post by jazzygirl:
JBrady (03-07-19), LatinLS430 (12-23-21), razvy (04-11-19)
Old 01-12-15, 09:04 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts
Default control arm bushings

Have a 2001 w/ 96k miles. I bit the bullet and had the dealer replace the bushings. Very overpriced. I think there might have been a door charge to get into the dealership (100). The front end is now noticeably tighter. Also the "clunk" noise is gone when I back out the driveway. Dealer did the alignment but the car wanders just a little. My Michelins are 5 years old (50k miles) so maybe new tires will help. Maybe a little more toe in on the alignment (within factory specs) would help too. Put top of the line Pirellis on my wife's ES300 (now replaced w/ a 330) and it drove perfectly straight w/ no corrections. Pretty clever Jazzy Girl!
Old 01-13-15, 07:22 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Have a 2001 w/ 96k miles. I bit the bullet and had the dealer replace the bushings. Dealer did the alignment but the car wanders just a little. My Michelins are 5 years old (50k miles) so maybe new tires will help. Maybe a little more toe in on the alignment (within factory specs) would help too.
There's probably nothing wrong with the new alignment (within specs). (Did they give you the print-out of the alignment specs?) The tire tread is worn based upon the old worn out LCA bushings which caused slight misalignment. Now that you have new LCA bushings and a new alignment, it's the tread wear on the tires that is causing the wander. Suggest you try rotating the tires (front-to-back), and drive it several thousand miles before trying to tweak the alignment to make the old tires steer better. Or, just get new tires.
Old 01-13-15, 02:48 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced my lower control arm bushing and it only took about hour and a half. The key is to have a good press and have the correct size tools to push the original bushing out. I work at a dealer so I have my tools at my disposal. Taking out the arm is a breeze though.
Old 03-15-15, 10:29 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm still not totally clear about what Lexus will do for a lower control arm bushing repair. Is lexus or Toyota willing to replace just the bushing or only the entire arm? What should be the difference in the price if only the bushing is replaced considering there is still a fair amount of labor in getting the bushing in and out? Doesn't the arm have to come off anyway even if only the bushing is replaced? I'm kind of skeptical to think that Lexus would replace just the bushing. This is an expensive repair and after 5 years of ownership on my 01 LS430 I'm seriously contemplating selling my car for an 04-06, getting something else, or biting the bullet and doing the repair. I just don't want to be paying anything close to $700 for the repair. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Of course I'm talking about doing both sides.
Old 03-15-15, 11:14 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I'm still not totally clear about what Lexus will do for a lower control arm bushing repair. Is lexus or Toyota willing to replace just the bushing or only the entire arm? What should be the difference in the price if only the bushing is replaced considering there is still a fair amount of labor in getting the bushing in and out? Doesn't the arm have to come off anyway even if only the bushing is replaced? I'm kind of skeptical to think that Lexus would replace just the bushing. This is an expensive repair and after 5 years of ownership on my 01 LS430 I'm seriously contemplating selling my car for an 04-06, getting something else, or biting the bullet and doing the repair. I just don't want to be paying anything close to $700 for the repair. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Of course I'm talking about doing both sides.
For reference, the Jap Shop in Boca charged $360 for the labor to swap the bushings. I brought my own parts. Add $140 for the bushings from Sewell. And don't forget the alignment. I had this done on my 06 with 61k miles in August and it helped with the vibration.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair