LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Safelite windshield - Rain sensor gone wild!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 01:14 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safelite windshield - Rain sensor gone wild!

Windshield on my '01 LS cracked.

I had Safelite come over to repair it but they weren't able to since the crack went all the way to the edge of the glass.

So...I had a choice between paying the dealer to replace it, which would be close to $2k and not covered by insurance, or have the repairs covered by my insurance but use aftermarket glass. I asked Safelite all kinds of questions, including making sure they can guarantee the rain sensor to operate the way it used to. They did. So, the glass is OK, but now the rain sensor is not working properly. Wipers go on without any water on the windshield. They replaced the gel pad under the sensor but it did not solve the problem.

Is there a reset for the rain sensor or is this actually glass, or its coating, causing it to act up like that?

What are my options? I don't like these fools screwing around with my car too much but I want this fixed.

Appreciate the advice!
Old 11-04-09, 01:18 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issue.
I had a crack on my 04 and my policy covered it.
Lexus Parts.
Old 11-04-09, 03:58 PM
chastylr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar situation on my 06 LS430.

My insurance company would not cover cost for OEM glass ($2200) so I had after market PPG glass installed by a local glass shop.

Afterward, my the wipers would make a sweep every time the car was started and would come on intermittently when it was not raining. I noticed an air bubble between the windshield and the rain sensor. I took it back to the glass shop and they installed another gel pad but could not install it without getting the air bubble between the gel pad and the windshield and the wipers continued to malfunction.

The glass shop called a Lexus service center and paid them (~$75) to install another gel pad. They were able to install the gel pad without trapping any air bubbles between the pad and the windshield. The auto wipers now work properly with no problems. Maybe the Lexus service folks have a special tool or procedure but the glass shop claims they have installed other rain sensors without any issues.
Old 11-04-09, 06:44 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus sensors must be more sensitive. Basically, if light strikes the sensor wrong it could trigger a swipe. Just strange electronics. Even on my OEM glass, I'll have days where for no reason whatsoever, the wiper will take a wipe. Maybe it knows somethign I don't...
Old 11-04-09, 07:14 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had 3 windshields replaced in 3 years on my LX and never had an issue w/ the rain sensor. Each time, the pad was replaced (only like $28). Work was done by Scottsdale Lexus, but they farm out to a glass shop that's very familiar with working on lexus vehicles. The dealer just provides the OEM parts and does some of the tear down. I've never had any issues w/ the auto wipers turning on when they aren't supposed to.
Old 11-04-09, 07:29 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement 2004 CL

A little off topic, as the thread is about rain sensors, but just want to mention my windshield replacement experience. When replacing my windshield, I told them (ins co. & glass co.) I wanted OEM because my model had rain sensor, laminated glass, and built-in water-repellent. The glass co. called me back and said they checked w/Lexus parts dept and was informed that there is only ONE replacement part windshield for 2004 LS and it would take about a week to get the part. I said okay and they replaced it a week or so later.

It is a Lexus windshield. Rain sensor for wipers worked fine, but I no longer have a water-repellent windshield! (Now I have to apply Rain-X myself - imagine that). Anyhow, since all 04s came with water-repellent windshields, I think they gave me the wrong part (from the wrong year, I mean).

Walt
Old 11-05-09, 04:42 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not option

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
A little off topic, as the thread is about rain sensors, but just want to mention my windshield replacement experience. When replacing my windshield, I told them (ins co. & glass co.) I wanted OEM because my model had rain sensor, laminated glass, and built-in water-repellent. The glass co. called me back and said they checked w/Lexus parts dept and was informed that there is only ONE replacement part windshield for 2004 LS and it would take about a week to get the part. I said okay and they replaced it a week or so later.

It is a Lexus windshield. Rain sensor for wipers worked fine, but I no longer have a water-repellent windshield! (Now I have to apply Rain-X myself - imagine that). Anyhow, since all 04s came with water-repellent windshields, I think they gave me the wrong part (from the wrong year, I mean).

Walt
I don't remember the rain repellant windshield being an option. I thought it was just standard on all LS. Perhaps it's something that is applied by Lexus after the manufacturing of the glass or installation...
Old 11-05-09, 07:43 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Thanks all for your replies.

The gel pad was replaced and it did not solve the problem.
Next they're planning to replace the sensor, which they already ordered and should get tomorrow.

I wonder what they will do next if the new sensor will not resolve the issue, which I think will be the case. One thing I know, I'm not letting this slide.
Old 11-05-09, 10:35 PM
mtbr64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im a little confused here. so do all of you leave ur wipers in the auto position and they only start wiping when the rain comes out? currently if i leave my wipers in the auto position they wipe ever 2 seconds and only speed up with the rain. i dont know how there supposed to work since i got the car with non working auto wipers due to a windshield install.
Old 11-06-09, 03:21 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbr64
im a little confused here. so do all of you leave ur wipers in the auto position and they only start wiping when the rain comes out? currently if i leave my wipers in the auto position they wipe ever 2 seconds and only speed up with the rain. i dont know how there supposed to work since i got the car with non working auto wipers due to a windshield install.
My wipers are always in "Auto" - They only come on when it rains (or moisture hits the windshield).

walt
Old 11-12-09, 04:05 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

New sensor is in. Same thing, wipers come on without any water on the glass.

Next they will be replacing the windshield again. This time they're planning to use PBG or PPG...whatever the brand is, instead of Safelite.

TBD if the problem will be solved by another brand windshield...this is getting old quick.
Old 11-12-09, 07:52 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I always leave my wipers in "auto" also, and they only have swiped when there's mist or rain on the windshield. I don't think I've ever had a "false wipe" in my ~6 months of ownership.
Old 11-16-09, 03:00 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

they came back today and replaced the Safelite brand windshield with PGW and now the sensor is working!

So if you ever need a windshield replaced on your LS, avoid Safelite brand glass!
Old 11-16-09, 03:58 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know when it gets really hot out side....my windshied wipers go off if its on auto
Old 11-16-09, 06:38 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

this is not the first time hearing about poor quality of safelite, but that's a lot of $$ just for OEM windshield.. hopefully my insurance will cover this in the future..

Quick Reply: Safelite windshield - Rain sensor gone wild!