LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

TSB TC006-04 Transmission Shift Pattern upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 08:11 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update Jim. I remember you posted that a while back, but I guess it still does not specify what symptoms the customer would experience on their end specifically in response to what the TSB is addressing except for "shifting enhancement for low speed ATM shifting".

Some have asked about the cost for this service out of the emissions warranty, my dealer (Dave Mungenast in Saint Louis) has quoted 170.00 to perform this service which is basically about 1.4 hours labor time.

I am still on the fence about paying to have this done if my issue will not be fixed, but it SORT OF sounds like my issue is EXACTLY what some others in this post had. Basically, on my car when I slow down to stop at a stop-light, and then I need to accelerate quickly back up to speed, it feels like the transmission has not fully downshifted to first and kind of "jerks" back into forward motion since it did not have enough time to fully downshift. If I come to a FULL STOP for a few seconds, then shifting is normal and fine. I also noticed that occasionally when rolling to a stop down a hill, the RPMs will increase noticeably to about 2k before it fully downshifts (without ANY accelerator input from me). These issues just don't seem to me like something software could possibly have ANY effect on... I mean can software really affect the way a transmission behaves THAT much? I already had the fluid replaced (98k) and that didn't do a damn thing.

This is basically standing between me keeping or ditching this car, because I don't want to fix this transmission if its about to break. It shifts fine through the rest of the range, and the only other issue I notice is a slight delay from "R" and then back "D" when selecting the gear. I have heard THAT issue brought up by quite a few people here though though so that's not as concerning.

This problem and a few fit and finish issues are really the type of things that keep me from enjoying this vehicle more than my '98, or even my previous '02 that was not NEARLY as well cared for as my 2004.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 10-11-10 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-11-10, 09:32 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thx JimsGX... my VIN is 55007089, so does this not even apply to my lex?
Old 10-11-10, 09:34 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Hey Jim, any chance you have the details on this one?

Component Description:
7. STEERING
Bulletin Number: 00401
Bulletin Date: Dec 2001
Vehicle: 2,005 Lexus LS 430
Summary:
REPAIR MANUAL SUPPLEMENT - VEHICLE PULLING TO ONE SIDE. ALL LEXUS 2002 - 2006 MODELS. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10017720 )
Old 10-11-10, 10:04 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Viper6
Thx JimsGX... my VIN is 55007089, so does this not even apply to my lex?
Anything after the number indicated in Jim's post won't come up in the Toyota system as needing the referenced repair. I don't know if it is still possible to pay them to do it regardless, but I know my dealer actually checked with my VIN to see what was available to be done that had or had not been done, only then did they authorize the option of doing the update (noted in my customer file) when/if I was ready to have it done. I'm still on the fence until I hear a more definitive answer to my above questions.
Old 10-11-10, 10:16 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Great info on the TSBs. I had noticed the shifting with the power lag and I have to kind of punch it for the power to transmit to the wheels at low speeds, but it never really bothered me, but come to think of it, it's not normal, lol. Ill be having that done soon.

Also, I noticed ANOTHER TSB that I need: the ignition switch gets stuck and it's hard to start the car at times. That's been slightly bothering me too, and there's a TSB out on it! yay

They either must hate or love me because they're still getting paid from the CPO warrantee people. I'm having my right rear air suspension fixed/replaced cuz it's messing up over bumps, it loses it's left-right balance - which is kindof scary.
Old 10-12-10, 10:06 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Default CPO revenue for dealer?

How do dealers make money on CPO work? Is it equiv to how they make money on new car warranty work? I've always wondered that as the service rep seems none to interested in handling my CPO related work... maybe they service reps and dealers make little to no money for arranging/conducting that type of service vs. say an oil change... hmmm.

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this one...
Old 10-12-10, 10:26 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Anything after the number indicated in Jim's post won't come up in the Toyota system as needing the referenced repair. I don't know if it is still possible to pay them to do it regardless, but I know my dealer actually checked with my VIN to see what was available to be done that had or had not been done, only then did they authorize the option of doing the update (noted in my customer file) when/if I was ready to have it done. I'm still on the fence until I hear a more definitive answer to my above questions.
Has the dealer addressed your current shift lags? I would think they should be able to then tell you if the TSB will solve your problem. If so, I personally would have it done.
Old 10-12-10, 12:08 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

How do dealers make money on CPO work? Is it equiv to how they make money on new car warranty work? I've always wondered that as the service rep seems none to interested in handling my CPO related work... maybe they service reps and dealers make little to no money for arranging/conducting that type of service vs. say an oil change... hmmm.

Ya, i think maybe a new thread is needed. I have more information...
Old 10-12-10, 02:47 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

I don't want to steer this thread too far off topic either because I have some unanswered questions up there, but I can tell you that different brands handle CPO differently. In Toyota's case, their CPO is not an in-house deal, but rather managed by Jim Moran's extended warranty division (same as JM Lexus dealership and Fidelity Warranty co.). I can't understand why exactly they wouldn't want to handle your claims since they are paid by JM for a claim just like they would be for a customer of Fidelity warranty (to the best of my knowledge). So unless Toyota and JM have negotiated lower labor rates, the response to the customer, and the claim submission process should be similar.
Old 10-12-10, 02:48 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Has the dealer addressed your current shift lags? I would think they should be able to then tell you if the TSB will solve your problem. If so, I personally would have it done.
In fairness, I never really mentioned the shift lagging all that much, I just went in at the same time I had my trans flush done and asked if they could also look into a "TSB for low speed shifting". Their service guys found the TSB and said my car had not had it done, and that it would be 170.00 to perform the work.
Old 07-16-11, 05:23 PM
skassamali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would my LS qualify for this TSB?

Name:  IMG_4020.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  28.9 KB
Old 07-17-11, 06:12 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2004

Originally Posted by skassamali
Would my LS qualify for this TSB?

Yours looks like it's 10/04 prodution date, but I don't think it was JUST for the '04 but for the 6-speed transmission in general. You should be able to get it done, if it hasn't already. It should fall under some 8-year emissions "thing" but not sure what it was. My dealer applied the law so it was no cost to me.
Old 07-18-11, 08:20 AM
skassamali
Driver

Car is at dealer, but the claim they can't replicate the transmission issue. How do I further explain what this issue is to them?
Old 07-18-11, 05:21 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Doesn't matter

Originally Posted by skassamali
Car is at dealer, but the claim they can't replicate the transmission issue. How do I further explain what this issue is to them?
Just tell them you want the TSB done, it falls under federal emissions laws, and that's that. They might tell you that the reprogramming is permanent (which it is, unless you change the ECU later on) and you might notice a slight decrease in mpg... blah blah. That's that.
Old 10-10-11, 02:25 PM
MAXUMIZED
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Thanks for the update Jim. I remember you posted that a while back, but I guess it still does not specify what symptoms the customer would experience on their end specifically in response to what the TSB is addressing except for "shifting enhancement for low speed ATM shifting".

Some have asked about the cost for this service out of the emissions warranty, my dealer (Dave Mungenast in Saint Louis) has quoted 170.00 to perform this service which is basically about 1.4 hours labor time.

I am still on the fence about paying to have this done if my issue will not be fixed, but it SORT OF sounds like my issue is EXACTLY what some others in this post had. Basically, on my car when I slow down to stop at a stop-light, and then I need to accelerate quickly back up to speed, it feels like the transmission has not fully downshifted to first and kind of "jerks" back into forward motion since it did not have enough time to fully downshift. If I come to a FULL STOP for a few seconds, then shifting is normal and fine. I also noticed that occasionally when rolling to a stop down a hill, the RPMs will increase noticeably to about 2k before it fully downshifts (without ANY accelerator input from me). These issues just don't seem to me like something software could possibly have ANY effect on... I mean can software really affect the way a transmission behaves THAT much? I already had the fluid replaced (98k) and that didn't do a damn thing.

This is basically standing between me keeping or ditching this car, because I don't want to fix this transmission if its about to break. It shifts fine through the rest of the range, and the only other issue I notice is a slight delay from "R" and then back "D" when selecting the gear. I have heard THAT issue brought up by quite a few people here though though so that's not as concerning.

This problem and a few fit and finish issues are really the type of things that keep me from enjoying this vehicle more than my '98, or even my previous '02 that was not NEARLY as well cared for as my 2004.
Wow, I just posted about this issue with my car. Mine does the same thing. I know what you are saying. Coming to a turn, the transmission down shifts to allow for turning but in shifts one gear too many and produces a lurching motion once you begin accelerating. Ok, this I know can be a reprogramming issue, I'm just lazy to take it in. Your next issue of down hill shifting is completely normal. The car is keeping you in an optimal gear to accelerator position for handling and control purposes. My BMW 740i used to do this on my sloped street and I thought this was awesome how the car is ready to accelerate again at the bottom of the hill without manually shifting the auto trans. The Lexus LS430 does this same action but with more subtlety. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: TSB TC006-04 Transmission Shift Pattern upgrade