LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My Glove Box RATTLES!!!! pretty annoying at times

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-09, 12:55 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Glove Box RATTLES!!!! pretty annoying at times

My Ls got 20k miles now and this glovebox rattles when I hit bumps. Its not the contents inside. It seems to be coming from the lock mechanism. When I close it and push on it with some moderate force, it goes away for a while....then comes back after some time

What should I do ??? Should I spray away with WD 40? Does anyone else have this problem??
Old 10-31-09, 03:27 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you had someone ride in the passenger seat and attempt to isolate what is rattling while you drive?
Old 10-31-09, 06:40 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vpanin
My Ls got 20k miles now and this glovebox rattles when I hit bumps. Its not the contents inside. It seems to be coming from the lock mechanism. When I close it and push on it with some moderate force, it goes away for a while....then comes back after some time

What should I do ??? Should I spray away with WD 40? Does anyone else have this problem??
Pile it full like the rest of us, so that you have force the door closed. LOL actually, only thing in my glove box is the car manuals and touch up paint.
Old 10-31-09, 11:18 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, my glovebox is full like you joked about Budhah. I need to clean mines out. I get some rattles in areas of my dash at times but, i never let it bother me. L.G.N.M
Old 11-01-09, 09:38 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

If I push on it it sounds like its coming from the lock mechanism............Im gonna try to soak the insides with wd40...........DAMN glove box kills the silence in my interior
Old 11-01-09, 01:42 PM
zachpapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My glovebox was doing the same thing (slight rattle over bumps). The rattles would stop when I held the door tight in place. In lieu of trying to adjust (by bending) the lock hardware, I simply put a couple of small felt pads where the door meets the frame. They are virtually invisible and it works like a champ. Not to mention it took about 30 seconds and 0 cost to take care of.

Good Luck!
Old 11-01-09, 06:44 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

So how many pieces did you use and where did you place them? By the lock or one on each corner of the top frame area??
Old 11-02-09, 06:48 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Im gonna try to soak the insides with wd40
WD40 is the Devil when it comes to locks. Never spray it into a keyhole. WD40 can also cause stains that are difficult or impossible to remove.

If you have to use a spray lubricant, use clear silicon spray. Better yet, figure out the problem and fix it instead of covering it up with a libricant'
Old 11-02-09, 02:16 PM
zachpapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how many pieces did you use and where did you place them? By the lock or one on each corner of the top frame area??
One small piece in each corner. There is a little rubber cone shaped grommet in each corner that I believe is what is failing over time. The size of felt you use is dependent upon the gap. I just used the furniture pad type that had a peel and stick backing (that I also trimmed to a small size). When the glove box closes snugly the rattle will be eliminated.
I hope this helps, and/or I would be happy to take a picture of what I did.
Good Luck!
Old 11-02-09, 10:33 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zachpapa
One small piece in each corner. There is a little rubber cone shaped grommet in each corner that I believe is what is failing over time. The size of felt you use is dependent upon the gap. I just used the furniture pad type that had a peel and stick backing (that I also trimmed to a small size). When the glove box closes snugly the rattle will be eliminated.
I hope this helps, and/or I would be happy to take a picture of what I did.
Good Luck!

Thanks man!!! I can already see it working.......just havent gotten a chance to get some felt. This LS is so quiet that every little sound inside gets your attention! Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.