LS430 trunk issue... need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 04:38 PM
04LS430ULP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy LS430 trunk issue... need help!

Hello Lexus friends!
I am new to the forums, as I never had an issue with this car before!
Its an 04 LS430 Ultra Package.

My dad moved my car, and while going to release the e-brake, he pushed the trunk lock. I cant get the trunk to open from the inside.

1) The lock says to insert the key and turn it, but the key [I]will not go all the way in.
2) The key will not go in all the way into the key slot on the trunk.
3) The key will go in all the way on the door handle and both lock and unlock the car.
4) The smart key thing said to go near the trunk and hold the release button, and the trunk will detect the smart key, but it does not.

I need to get in my trunk!!!!
(by the way, my trunk button on the remote never worked...)
Old 09-21-09, 05:03 PM
hrp
Rookie

Default have you tried...

The LS430 came with both a key for parking attendants which will not open the glove compartment or the trunk. Only the ignition. There is a second key which which will work in the ignition, door, trunk, and glove box. Check to see if the key you are using will open the glove box. If so, go and press firmly on the trunk lid and then try the remote, key, or button near the emergency brake. If that doesn't work, it's probably going to require a trip to your nearest Lexus or Toyota service person.

Last edited by hrp; 09-21-09 at 05:06 PM. Reason: correct an error
Old 09-21-09, 07:08 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Valet Key

Originally Posted by hrp
The LS430 came with both a key for parking attendants which will not open the glove compartment or the trunk. Only the ignition. There is a second key which which will work in the ignition, door, trunk, and glove box. Check to see if the key you are using will open the glove box. If so, go and press firmly on the trunk lid and then try the remote, key, or button near the emergency brake. If that doesn't work, it's probably going to require a trip to your nearest Lexus or Toyota service person.
to that. Sounds like you have the valet key, because it doesn't open anything except door and start the car.

Easy check, does you remote have three buttons, lock/panic, unlock, and trunk, or just lock/panic and unlock? The valet key does not have a trunk button.

If you don't have the "extra" credit car key, or the main key, then you're stuck and must visit the dealer.
Old 10-09-12, 07:15 PM
Possibilus
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased an '04 LS430 with less than 10K miles on it...excellent condition and drives well, but cannot for the life of me understand how Lexus could provide such a convoluted key and trunk system. Based on the premise of security from valets, access to your own trunk is inconvenient, and due to the locking key on the dash, capable of becoming inaccessible by accident. I pressed it unaware that it locked the trunk, and had to find the "credit card" flat key to re-open the trunk...very humbug in general. Have an RX300 with a simple ordinary key system...much more sensible for most people...sometimes they over-design things and make it inconvenient or too complicated...we just want to drive the damn things!!!!
Old 11-04-12, 06:27 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

I locked my keys in the trunk once and also had the trunk release button pushed in. I had to use the little access hole thru the rear lock box in my back seat and use a 3 foot PVC pipe to open the yellow trunk release lever from the inside trunk. It's funny that the lever actually glows in the dark when trying to pull this menuver off helping you to see it. As long as your trunk doesn't have a lot of cargo. U may be able to open it that way.