LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mirrors no longer adjust

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 11:55 AM
jamsvet
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mirrors no longer adjust

Help, I have a 2002 430 and both my drivers and passenger side mirrors no longer adjust using the control. They do turn downwards when I shift into reverse. Since both are out I'm assuming that I need to change the switch? Hard job? Tips? Donations?

Last edited by RA40; 10-17-18 at 07:00 PM. Reason: sp in title
Old 09-07-09, 03:32 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at quite a few LS430s before I found mine and oddly enough there were several that had the same issue. One was at a dealer and they said that it was really common for the switch to fail. Don't know how true that is, but they said switch right away.
Old 09-07-09, 07:26 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

I believe they are Mirror actuators.. Mirror actuator is the machine to move mirror up, down, right and left..
Old 09-12-09, 08:08 PM
Ducati11
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mirrors don't adjust

I have an 02 Ultra lux that had the same exact problem. All you have to do is pop off the mirror control panel and clean the contacts (and be sure all of the pins are pushed into the connector). The panel is held on with clips, just grab one of the lips and pull towards you. Then depress the tab that holds the connector in place and pull off the connector (the one behind the adjustment switch). Reassemble and you're ready to go (make sure the key is on or it won't adjust.....). Hope the pictures uploaded.....
Attached Thumbnails Mirrors no longer adjust-imgp0458.jpg   Mirrors no longer adjust-imgp0459.jpg   Mirrors no longer adjust-imgp0460.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by Ducati11:
205Ls430 (02-18-20), abuch56 (06-20-20), Fsport4lif (01-31-24), TSFARRIS (06-17-21)
Old 10-01-09, 08:53 AM
tcjeffri
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I have an 03 UL and had to go one step further to get mine to work. I took off the panel (disconnecting all three switches (parking sensor, mirror fold, and mirror adjustment switches)). Once I got the panel off, I proceeded to take apart the mirror adjustment switch (two screws in the back, then pop the tabs to remove from the casing) Its very simple, once you get the panel off you will see how to disassemble the switch...

Anyways, once I got the back of the switch off, you can see the internal contacts. Mine had quite a bit of dark oxidation on it, so I used a q-tip and electrical contact cleaner (available at RadioShack) to clean the contacts.

After I got the contacts clean on the board, I wanted to clean the gold contacts that actually make contact with the board. Again, I did this with Q-Tips and contact cleaner.

This is a VERY simple job, I am no where near being great with electronics and was able to get the job done in 15 minutes from removing the panel all the way through replacing the panel back in the car.

I hope this helps as I see this is a fairly common problem... knock on wood, mine is working flawlessly!

PS. by the time I thought to take pics of this procedure, I was already done...sorry guys. If I ever have to take this apart again, I will better document!

Last edited by tcjeffri; 10-01-09 at 08:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tcjeffri:
MHE4 (01-21-24), TSFARRIS (06-10-21)
Old 10-07-09, 05:18 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow....glad I found this thread! great tips...will give it a shot!!
Old 10-07-09, 09:55 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started experiencing this same issue on the left mirror (drivers side). I was told that it is the switch as well, that the contacts are known to have problems. The dealer's simple fix is to just replace it. I suggest taking these DIY steps and following them. It is a cheaper way to go.
Old 10-08-09, 05:08 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My mirror switch stopped working too, never thought of cleaning the contacts until I read this thread. I am going to go clean my contacts and report back!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-16-09, 12:26 PM
ATL_AFW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had problems with my outside mirrors since I purchased my 2004 LS430 a few months ago. I want to try this solution. I tried to pull out the panel but was afraid to try too hard, for fear I might break it. I want to verify that all I have to do to pull out the panel is to grasp it at the bottom (access by opening the change drawer) and pulling hard. (I also tried prying the sides with a screwdriver but was also afraid of damaging by prying too hard, so I quit that.)
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-09, 12:45 PM
tcjeffri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ATL_AFW
I have had problems with my outside mirrors since I purchased my 2004 LS430 a few months ago. I want to try this solution. I tried to pull out the panel but was afraid to try too hard, for fear I might break it. I want to verify that all I have to do to pull out the panel is to grasp it at the bottom (access by opening the change drawer) and pulling hard. (I also tried prying the sides with a screwdriver but was also afraid of damaging by prying too hard, so I quit that.)
Thanks in advance.
Yup, atleast for my 2003 UL all you have to do is pull the panel. It just snaps in. It shouldnt take a crazy amount of force to get it off though...I would advise against using screwdrivers to pry anywhere on the lex dash! I have used small nylon pry bars (designed to remove body moldings, can be purchased at Harbor Freight for$5) before to remove some of the wood panels on the dash to check the switch light bulbs, but the particular panel with mirror switches only needs to be pulled from the bottom. Best of Luck. If you get it off successfully, maybe take some pics of the switch internals to help the rest of the group...I unfortunately forgot to take pics when doing mine...
Old 10-17-09, 03:42 PM
George Tor
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar problem with my drivers side mirror and the Lexus service manager quoted "about $1,000 " for the job. I left the dealership and the mirror adjustment began to work properly without repair later that week.

I changed dealerships immediatly.
The following users liked this post:
Dampfwalze (10-03-19)
Old 10-18-09, 08:43 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm having the same issue with my 04. Will give it a shot.
Old 10-27-09, 06:50 PM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, great thread!!!!!!

I followed your advice and popped the control panel out.
Cleaned my connectors and still have the issue.

By doing so, I noticed that in my case it is not the pins on the main connector which are having the problem. But it’s actually the Right Left side selector switch in the middle.

I tried in vain to disassemble the switch itself. I’m afraid to break it. I need to find a way to get in there and clean the inside.

While playing with it, I found out that by applying the right pressure on the center switch, I’m able to adjust the mirror.
It's a temporary workaround.

I might also give up and buy the darn 280$ switch.
Old 10-28-09, 05:46 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by toantran99
I'm having the same issue with my 04. Will give it a shot.
Took the switch out and cleaned it, working like a charm now.

THANKS.
Old 10-28-09, 06:25 AM
tcjeffri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yaff
Wow, great thread!!!!!!

I might also give up and buy the darn 280$ switch.
You can do it! haha, trust me, dont worry about breaking the switch, its pretty simple. Worst case scenario is you break it and then buy a new switch (which it sounds like you are already thinking about doing anyways). Honestly, theres not much in there to break, just pay attention to the order that the 3 or 4 pieces inside the switch go and youre golden.

This is one of those fixes that I believe 75% of the car loving population can handle. Its easier than changing oil, if you can handle oil changes, you can breeze through this fix. The key is making sure you have the right tools (small screwdrivers, contact cleaner, and Q-Tips). Let us know how it turns out!

Quick Reply: Mirrors no longer adjust