LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mirrors no longer adjust

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 01:19 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by espresso19
Well I answered my own question. I done the clean and still the passenger side mirror does not go up or down. Only in or out, any hints of next step? I really do not need that feature as I consider myself a good parker and never rub my wheels against the curb. So not going out and spend $250 or whatever it is to replace it. But if there is a fix for it, Ill give it a try.
Your options are to replace the whole mirror assembly like I had to on my 2005 with the exact issue you are having or you can take the mirror apart and replace the up/down motor.
Old 05-11-16, 05:39 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm an older member and somewhat intimidated by taking apart the switch itself with the little screws. I fold my mirrors in every day for 6 years so that is fine. Intermittently, the passenger side mirror functions do not work. Drivers side is always fine. If I play with the switch long enough I can usually get it to work. I almost never adjust any mirrors. My question is, would it be possible to get the passenger side working by just removing the panel and cleaning the contacts of the plug going into the switch? I'm deathly afraid to take apart the switch do to the very small parts and getting it back together. Is it possible the one step method can work?
Old 05-13-16, 03:21 PM
mfalcon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got this done today on my 2003 LS 430, worked like a charm, thank you to all the folks who put up pictures, made it not so bad when all the tiny bits fell out
Old 05-13-16, 06:23 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Cleaning of connectors did not help, but I know the passenger mirror is fine because it goes back to the original setting after clicking memory 1. All is well as no one else drives my car. If need be to take apart the switch, I'll venture it or get someone with better eyes to do it for me. I know it's the lever in the switch that goes from left to right as the driver's mirrors works great and everything on the passenger mirror works with memory. Great thread. .
Old 06-12-16, 07:14 PM
rickcad
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default additional information about cleaning contacts

Originally Posted by Ducati11
I have an 02 Ultra lux that had the same exact problem. All you have to do is pop off the mirror control panel and clean the contacts (and be sure all of the pins are pushed into the connector). The panel is held on with clips, just grab one of the lips and pull towards you. Then depress the tab that holds the connector in place and pull off the connector (the one behind the adjustment switch). Reassemble and you're ready to go (make sure the key is on or it won't adjust.....). Hope the pictures uploaded.....
First, thanks for posting - I was able to fix the problem. I would like to add -
The mirror switch has 2 screws that need to be removed. Then use a small screwdriver and carefully pry the housing where the tabs hold the switch together, and pull that side up. Then pry the other side just enough to free the housing. Mine was clean inside. I used a Qtip to rub the grease around the contacts and then on the switch connectors I used an exacto knife to scratch the black spots off the slide contacts. That was all that was needed. It appears that there is a very small area of contact that gets oxidized and that needs cleaning.
The following users liked this post:
kdllx470 (03-02-20)
Old 07-16-16, 01:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati11
I have an 02 Ultra lux that had the same exact problem. All you have to do is pop off the mirror control panel and clean the contacts (and be sure all of the pins are pushed into the connector). The panel is held on with clips, just grab one of the lips and pull towards you. Then depress the tab that holds the connector in place and pull off the connector (the one behind the adjustment switch). Reassemble and you're ready to go (make sure the key is on or it won't adjust.....). Hope the pictures uploaded.....
Thanks for the pics, Ducati. I just tried cleaning the switch contacts but unfortunately the driver's side mirror still doesn't adjust vertically. My issue must be in the mirror motor(s). Adding more pics to help others (this is before I cleaned contacts).

coug66 (05-19-17)
Old 09-10-16, 08:08 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks for the pics, Ducati. I just tried cleaning the switch contacts but unfortunately the driver's side mirror still doesn't adjust vertically. My issue must be in the mirror motor(s). Adding more pics to help others (this is before I cleaned contacts).

Be careful when pulling the mirror contacts apart. After I took out the two small screws and started prying it apart both halves flew apart. Luckily I found the two small screws and the plastic pieces.
The circuit board shown in the bottom picture had what I believe is some type of electrical grease.
coug66 (05-19-17)
Old 09-12-16, 09:34 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

This should be in the FAQ section for our car...
The following 2 users liked this post by Daspyda:
DriftMnky (03-16-22), wnyjazz (01-15-18)
Old 11-27-16, 05:09 AM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pff1234
message numbers;12-15. My outside mirror will not retract or open all the way. It goes so far and stops and just "click,click,click" Passenger side mirror works fine. I have removed the control panel but that does not change things. Any thoughts?
when it starts clicking put a little pressure to the mirror in the direction you want it to move. It should move past the stops. Maybe 4-6 clicks should be enough to get the travel you need.
Old 11-27-16, 07:08 AM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcjeffri
Thanks for the info. I have an 03 UL and had to go one step further to get mine to work. I took off the panel (disconnecting all three switches (parking sensor, mirror fold, and mirror adjustment switches)). Once I got the panel off, I proceeded to take apart the mirror adjustment switch (two screws in the back, then pop the tabs to remove from the casing) Its very simple, once you get the panel off you will see how to disassemble the switch...

Anyways, once I got the back of the switch off, you can see the internal contacts. Mine had quite a bit of dark oxidation on it, so I used a q-tip and electrical contact cleaner (available at RadioShack) to clean the contacts.

After I got the contacts clean on the board, I wanted to clean the gold contacts that actually make contact with the board. Again, I did this with Q-Tips and contact cleaner.

This is a VERY simple job, I am no where near being great with electronics and was able to get the job done in 15 minutes from removing the panel all the way through replacing the panel back in the car.

I hope this helps as I see this is a fairly common problem... knock on wood, mine is working flawlessly!

PS. by the time I thought to take pics of this procedure, I was already done...sorry guys. If I ever have to take this apart again, I will better document!
Did you remove the switch from the housing? Did you only remove the two screws and it came apart? I dont want to break anything. Update: I finally got it to come apart. I would get one side started and move to the other side to release the clips on the switch the first side would click back in. I put a jewelers screwdriver to hold it and got the other side to come free. Works now.

Last edited by hippchip; 11-27-16 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 06:38 PM
davidrusk
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006 LS430 87K miles.Purchased as CPO in 2010 with 37K miles. It's been flawless until now. But ...
Thanks to the info in this thread I was able to tackle the project to fix the outside mirror adjustment switch. I would never have tried if not for the great help provided here. Thanks to all who contributed to the "how to" instructions!
Old 04-05-17, 07:58 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I tried this fix for my mirrors and it did not work for me. My drivers mirror moves side to side but not up and down. The passenger mirror moves up and done but not side to side. Nothing major as I can just adjust them manual but I would like to get it fixed, I popped the driver mirror off and disassembled it halfway but could not figure out how to get the back cover off so I put it back together before it got to late figuring I would have another go at it next week. I lubed the gears in back off the mirror but that did not help. I don't get any sound on the drivers side when trying to move it up and down with the switch so I'm figuring something is wrong with the motor.
Old 05-19-17, 02:40 PM
coug66
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I opened mine up and it was greased and clean.

I applied some dialectic grease to the plugs and the drivers mirror works just fine.

Thank you for posting this fix.

Ian
Old 05-19-17, 03:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

When the mirror folding mechanism fails, now we are talking about big bucks to replace the mirror. No real fix when that happens.
Old 08-20-17, 05:28 PM
Nphoops
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I followed the instructions in this thread. Removed the switch, unscrewed the switch element, cleaned it all with contact cleaner. Both sides are working for the first time in three years. Thanks to all who posted advice.

Quick Reply: Mirrors no longer adjust