LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 01:22 AM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?

After almost 2 months I finally received from Japan the 5-Zigen Modelista
exhaust for my LS and I was expecting it to be stainless all throughout
the exhaust just like advertised in the picture of Carson L-tuned's website.
Instead, except for the tips, everything else is painted flat black.

I asked about this and was told that the entire exhaust is stainless just
as described. The only reason its painted black is because in Japan they
have a rule about the exhaust and how it cannot reflect back light that
will cause drivers behind you to be blinded. So they are "blacked out"
to avoid any accidents caused by drivers headlights reflecting back into
there own eyes. Not all exhaust from Japan come like that.
The Modelista is one of those Luxury type systems that they did this to.
A lot of other jdm companies don't black them out because they are
considered "race use". Another example I was given of this is on a Tom's
exhaust http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2294

Anyway, has anyone on this forum dealt with this before and figured out
an effective way to remove the paint to get that polished stainless look?
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2974
Old 08-13-09, 04:38 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, i've never heard of this before, or even seen it. it must be some new crazy law, but i wouldn't put it past the japanese to create such an obscure rule because so many people out there have exhaust systems and they are really big freaks about lights blinding people and all... good luck, and can you post up a pic i just want to see what it looks like.

btw its sort of a rule out in japan that when you come to a stop light day or night you dim you headlights to like parking lights only so that you don't blind pedestrians or other drivers while stopped. i really really really wish this would catch on in the states
Old 08-13-09, 06:18 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
i really really really wish this would catch on in the states
LOL True. And there are a LOT, LOT of common courtesy and general decency practices in Japan that need to catch on in the states.

To the OP, I know it isn't what you were hoping, but frankly, I might be happy about it, I think. I am tired of the flashy polished stainless exhausts that hang under cars like a tacky afterthought. On so many of them, they don't even look like they fit that well (probably not the case with an LS exhaust, though). I have a large SS Apex GT Spec exhaust on my Supra, but I'm thinking about doing something about the finish. It's full polished SS, but lately when I look at the car from the rear, that exhaust under the car all shiny and all -- just looks like a ricer to me. I'm planning to remove it and polish it with a 23,000 RPM industrial rotary grinder (picture a 20x power Dremel) with a metal-cutting pad on it. I did my Supra downpipe this way when I built it and it quickly turned a beautiful titanium looking color -- looks 10x better to me than the standard ricer polished stainless -- so I'm thinking of hitting the entire exhaust with that treatment and seeing what happens.

Last edited by I6turbo; 08-13-09 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-13-09, 09:44 AM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Sojah: I will see if I get the chance to post pix. It is nicely (extensively) wrapped right now and want to keep it that way until I transport it to the shop to have it installed and/or polished.

I6turbo: thanks for the different take on it. part of me agrees with you, but part of me also thinks "man I paid this much for an exhaust and except for the tips, it looks stock - I could have just spent 200bucks for tips instead". I don't know, maybe that is a good thing.

Actually, the down pipes are also blacked out, whereas, if I remember correctly (to lazy to walk out to the garage right now), the oem down pipes are not coated, only the cans.

Since this is considered an executive luxury exhaust, they coat it to not have that "ricey" look? hmmm.....

Any other thoughts from others would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-09, 10:20 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i can definitely see both ways of thinking and often live in the middle (the worst side) on a lot of stuff. you should pick who are you getting it done for? if its for your own satisfaction then please be happy knowing you have an awesome product that is very high end and classy/ executive. if you got it to show off to others (i've done both) then get it polished up all shiny so that it stands out to others while parked or driving.

if you ride around all low then you may not be able to see much of the mufflers anyways. but i definitely see your point since you spent so much money you almost want others to know this and see it for what it is.

i6turbo: yeah i definitely wish we had half the common courtesy that jp has got. big big difference between the 2, kinda sad at times, especially when dealing with companies here in the states when you are the customer and don't get treated like it at all...
Old 08-13-09, 02:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I had 5 Zigen on my SC and GS, they are both stainless muffulers, but black rear pipes.
Old 08-13-09, 09:29 PM
JDMfoLIFE
Driver

any pictures??????????
Old 08-14-09, 10:41 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Here are some pix as requested. As you can see, I tested to see if the muffler was in fact really polished underneath the paint by putting a little Jasco paint remover on the top of the muffler. Sure enough, it was polished.
Attached Thumbnails 5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?-exaust0.jpg   5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?-exhaust1.jpg   5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?-exhaust2.jpg   5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?-exhaust3.jpg  
Old 08-14-09, 10:50 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Here are some pix after removing all of the paint. I am more satisfied with the results than I am when it was painted. Sorry that the pix are out of focus. It was after sundown and I am not patient enough when taking photos at night (not to move the camera while the shutter speed is slow).
Attached Thumbnails 5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?-exhaust4.jpg   5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?-exhaust5.jpg   5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?-exhaust6.jpg   5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?-exhaust7.jpg  

Last edited by jman-LS430; 08-14-09 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 04:14 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

looks really nice now though. is that supposed to change the sound of the exhaust note at all??
Old 08-15-09, 11:25 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

You did a good job!!
How long it took you to remove all the paint?
Looks stunning!
Old 08-15-09, 04:22 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Damn that's a nice exhaust system i really like it alot....good luck with it.
Old 08-15-09, 07:18 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sojah
looks really nice now though. is that supposed to change the sound of the exhaust note at all??
I wonder that as well. You would think the paint would have some level of dampness on the muffler, but not sure on the pipes.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
You did a good job!! How long it took you to remove all the paint? Looks stunning!
roughly 4 hours of actual work. I took the whole day working on it off and on while doing other things.

Originally Posted by bonafyd
Damn that's a nice exhaust system i really like it alot....good luck with it.
Thanks Bonafyd. I can't wait to get them on and see what it is like. I have gotten good feedback on them from folks so we will see.
Old 08-15-09, 08:34 PM
SerasLibre
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a magnet to the exhaust. If its not magnetic (or aluminum), then its surely stainless.
Old 08-15-09, 10:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Hurry up put it on and let us hear some sound clips!

Quick Reply: 5-Zigen stainless exhaust comes painted from Japan?