LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Add seat padding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 10:11 PM
sarkleshark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add seat padding?

Can I add seat padding to the drivers side bottom seat of a 2005 ls 430 and how?
Old 08-04-09, 12:47 PM
kwahaus
Driver School Candidate

Good luck. Let me know what you find out. The comfort (or lack) of the front driver's seat has been my greatest disappointment with car — to the extent I am considering selling. I've had the local dealer look at it and they said it was "normal'. To which I replied, "Is it normal for Lexus' most luxurious vehicle to be equipped with seats that are inferior to my Volkswagen Beetle?"

I've upped the ante with a meeting with the area rep when he/she next visits the dealer. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-04-09, 04:45 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I went to a auto upholstery shop where they do ground up resorations also. I got a rebuild of my seat, bottom cushion, and back lumber support for 150 bucks(he also stretched the leather taught again). Feels like a dream now, though I did loose some lateral support and the cooling seat feature is weaker, not that it was ever strong. New seat cushion is 225 bucks I believe for the part. When i was driving a bunch of them looking to purchase, all around 50 k miles or so, it was a common problem but I am in the dairy state wisconsin and we grow em big. here
Old 08-04-09, 04:52 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't an easier alternative to just sit on those memory-foam pillows?
Old 08-04-09, 05:45 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree that Lexus should have worked harder on the seat. I wouldn't call either of mine ('03 or '05) uncomfortable, but unlike the rest of the car, they certainly don't set standards for luxury. Surprisingly to me, the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in is in my Nephew's custom F-150. I don't recall the customizer (one of those that's sold through Ford dealers), but the seats have been worked over, or completely replaced -- didn't check it out to see which one. A few months ago I drove my '03 LS430 to TN to see my family and drop the car off to its new owner. As it happened, my brother picked me up in the F-150 and the instant I sat down in it, the LS seat suddenly felt like crap compared. We rode around for a couple of hours and I didn't want to get out. LOL
Old 08-06-09, 01:21 PM
phillies
Rookie

Anyone know of any good seat cushions that might help? I'm currently looking for one myself as I also have some problems with a uncomfortable front seat I thought about asking the dealer about it but I figured that would probably be a waste of time.
Old 08-06-09, 07:06 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick questions for those with uncomfortable front seat:
1) Is it just the drivers front seat that is a problem? Is the passenger side more comfortable or is it also a problem?
2) Do you have the Semi-Aniline, Ecru or Base model leather?

If you've got an UL or CL you've probably got Semi-aniline black or Ecru leather. If you've got a Base or ML car it's generally the base model leather.

Just interested to see if there is a concensus on where the issue is..
Old 08-07-09, 05:30 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I have no issue with the driver seat, I find it to be very comfortable. I have played with the settings until I found the best setting for me. I'm 6,1' and I took a 6hr road trip earlier this yr without feeling tired or worn out. I felt like I sat in my fav chair the entire trip. Hell I sit in traffic five days a week in that seat, believe I would complain if the seat sucked. I found that extending the bottom further out gave me great results, but YMWV since we all are different heights and body builds.

I wish you guys well on making the seat feel bettter to your liking.
Old 08-07-09, 06:57 AM
sarkleshark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I feel if I were a few inches taller or the seat bottom was an inch higher the seat would be great. Thats why I want to add more padding to the seat cushion.

Old 08-07-09, 08:11 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sarkleshark
Thanks for the replies. I feel if I were a few inches taller or the seat bottom was an inch higher the seat would be great. Thats why I want to add more padding to the seat cushion.

I've never ran my seat all the way up, but lots of cars will practically stick most people's head out the sunroof when cranked up -- does the LS seat not go up high enough for you?
Old 08-07-09, 06:20 PM
sarkleshark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. Its not that the seat doesnt raise , it does. The problem is that if the seat cushion was 1 inch higher , the seat back would fit by back and head perfectly. Right now the ridge in the middle of the seat back sticks into by back at just the wrong level-about one inch too high--so I thought if I could raise me up an inch compared to the seat back it would be perfect .....

Thanks, And where do I get Led light for the interior of the car--especiall the ambient floor lighting?

thanks.
Old 08-09-09, 02:27 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sarkleshark
...the seat back would fit by back and head perfectly. Right now the ridge in the middle of the seat back sticks into by back at just the wrong level-about one inch too high--so I thought if I could raise me up an inch compared to the seat back it would be perfect .....
Have you tried deflating or adjusting the lower back/lumbar support? The buttons are with the rest of the adjustment buttons on the left side of the drivers seat.

It takes a few seconds for you to feel it change with the inflating/deflating. It sounds like that's the problem when you say the middle of your seat back sticking into your back?...
Old 08-09-09, 04:35 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I agree -- I drove my car this weekend and try as I might, I couldn't detect ANY seam or ridge, etc. in the back, but I keep my seat back pretty deflated...
Old 08-23-13, 08:32 PM
tacotao
Driver School Candidate

Check out this post. I bet it about the same for LS. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-of-pics.html

Note: the plushness is from the blue piece. I am sure you can DIY by buying foam pad from hobby lobby. Just cut into size and poke holes to match