LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Do you acknowledge (wave,smile,nod,point,etc) to fellow LS owners while on the road?
Yes
25.00%
No
47.62%
No, but think about doing it.
27.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Waving to other LS drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 08:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahah ^ ^ ^, yeah thats how i feel when they give me a strange look instead of returning my wave. but jeeps are infamous for the wave and return wave thing.
Old 07-22-09, 11:01 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MillerLite
People are not as friendly down here...

this is the truth

I used to wave when riding my motorcycle -- no more, worst than NY
Old 07-22-09, 11:42 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

In Miami most of the people that own LS's are cluless of what they are ... unfortunatly they will just take me for crazy But in the other hand any other modded Lexus will recognize the car and sometimes nod.

No different here in Cali.
Yeah, they'll just look and probably say, "WTH is he waving at???"

People drive with their horse-blinds on or yapping on their cell phone.
The LS owners here are obviously in their senior years so I don't bother waving also.
Old 07-22-09, 11:48 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Same here in philly
Old 07-22-09, 11:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You got that right. LOL I've been traveling to South Florida about 18 times per year for the past couple of years. My mental image of a classic South Florida driver is a single-occupant vehicle driving in the HOV lane, suddenly swerving across 5 lanes of traffic at the last second to hit the exit, cutting off 3 or 4 cars in the process and causing them to get on their horns, then shooting the bird out his window to all the drivers he cut off. Nice.
Old 07-22-09, 12:00 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I voted no b/c most of the people I have seen driving LS430's are in their golden years, and if they saw me waving they would think i'm some nut.
Old 07-22-09, 12:39 PM
danxp
Driver

people's behavior here in the nyc metro area was the model for which other metro areas strived to be when it came to being unfriendly... nobody gives a crap about anyone else on the road but themselves... it's quite discouraging... even worse on the subways in rush hour... i've lived here all my life and am ready to move my family to somewhere more civilized... any suggestions?

oh and i voted no, but want to wave...
Old 07-22-09, 12:44 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

people waved and gave thumbs up to me all the time, in my older Gs400 and now isf. Maybe in delaware people are nicer...lol .
well i do the same if i see a nice car, dont matter what brand..now if i am in NYc i wouldnt do it. I would be thinking how to cut off that SOB in front me ,...lol
Old 07-22-09, 12:50 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

everytime i go to nyc, upper jersey, i hate it. i get angry stressed out and constantly worry about people hitting my car, every single pothole bothers me..its like someone hitting me in the head constantly....crazy my in laws are there and i when ever i go there, i park my car in their garage and get their suv out..lol
Originally Posted by danxp
people's behavior here in the nyc metro area was the model for which other metro areas strived to be when it came to being unfriendly... nobody gives a crap about anyone else on the road but themselves... it's quite discouraging... even worse on the subways in rush hour... i've lived here all my life and am ready to move my family to somewhere more civilized... any suggestions?

oh and i voted no, but want to wave...
Old 07-22-09, 01:02 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by danxp
i've lived here all my life and am ready to move my family to somewhere more civilized... any suggestions?
We'll let you move to South with us if you'll be nice.

Seriously, all my life I've heard "northerners" talk down about the south, etc. Then about 20 years ago I started traveling all over the U.S. (and Europe) for work, working with and getting to know people there and getting a feel for how life really is there (as opposed to just going to visit the tourist traps, which is what MOST travelers do). I think I got a pretty good view of how things are in various states and countries. All things considered, you can't beat the southern United States of America as a place to live, raise a family, and enjoy life, IMO. (But I'm thrilled for people to disagree and stay the hell out! )
Old 07-22-09, 01:20 PM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by I6turbo
We'll let you move to South with us if you'll be nice.
deal! can you get me an IT job that pays more than $90k...
Old 07-22-09, 02:38 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm generally nice to other vehicles and make comments to them when it warrants it. I had a nice short chat with a guy at the light in his BMW Z8, nice guy very cool. Another time, a brand new Ferrari F460 was next to me and I commented nice car, he just looked at me and looked away, what an a-hole snob.

May be we need to have ClubLexus stickers on our cars so we know to wave
Old 07-22-09, 02:42 PM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default "Minnesota Nice" doesn't go that far...

I'd like to wave but agree with what a prior post said about people being too distracted with cell phones to notice.

Move to MN, it's great here!
Old 07-22-09, 02:51 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

werd, i gave a nod to a new s6 on the way home today and not only did the driver (father looking) turn his head and act like he didn't see me when they were clearly looking right at me but the son started to laugh and then they both started talking... hopefully they were talking about how the son will never be able to ride around in a car half as cool as ours and better start saving for his civic now but yeah a lot of car snobs out there, and don't get me wrong i may be car snobbish but i do appreciate the fellow car enthusiast and those are the ones that will return the wave or nod.
Old 07-22-09, 06:02 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would never wave to anyone else driving something I was not driving. I wave to Integra only the same gen. as me. I use to wave to other '92-'95 Civics. I would not wave to a S550 if I'm in my LS430, it's just not right.

On the point of LS drivers, all those old folks need BOTH HANDS on the wheel, so if we wave and they start taking their hands off the wheel, they might swerve off the road and start injuring some trees and poles. I'd say keep the old folks to themselves and we can start waving in another 10 years after they've moved on to their Buicks.

Quick Reply: Waving to other LS drivers?