LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wife wants to know ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 06:56 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife wants to know ...

how much better will our nav be if we upgrade our gen 4 from 5.1 to 8.1. The street we have lived on for 22 years is not in our navi. OK it was a brand new street back then but come on. We live in an Atlanta suburb called Marietta and if anyone has the ver 8.1 would be grateful if you would put in the intersection of Guilford circle/Farleigh Trace in Marietta, GA and let us know if it is there.

Who looks happier with the LS purchase?

Old 05-15-09, 07:26 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I can't help on the Navi question neighbor but you should remove the front license holder if not done already. It looks much nicer without it.

Beautiful car

What dealership is that?
Old 05-15-09, 07:31 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice color... and the 18" wheels too.

I have the 4.1 and it's very strange. You're right the intersection is not found under the "intersection" options, but when I do an individual search of Guilford Circle NE and Farleigh Trace NE, they both show up in Marietta and they seem to intersect, so not sure why the system is not coming up with it.

If you do corrdinates, it's showing the intersection as N 33 deg. 57' 34" by W 84 deg. 29'28". Is this where you wanted? It's there, just not easy to find, but if you've live there 22 years, then you should know where it is... ha ha.

As for which of you two look happier, you're both about as happy, but your wife looks more exhuberant... enjoy the car !!!
Old 05-15-09, 07:44 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

About the front license holder ... I didn't want the holes so I have a Marine Corps "The Few. The Proud" license. http://www.autoplates.com/store/mari...e-p-69880.html
Old 05-15-09, 07:47 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
About the front license holder ... I didn't want the holes so I have a Marine Corps "The Few. The Proud" license. http://www.autoplates.com/store/mari...e-p-69880.html
Sorry the dealership is a used car place called Malones Automotive in Marietta.
Old 05-15-09, 07:56 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Nice color... and the 18" wheels too.

I have the 4.1 and it's very strange. You're right the intersection is not found under the "intersection" options, but when I do an individual search of Guilford Circle NE and Farleigh Trace NE, they both show up in Marietta and they seem to intersect, so not sure why the system is not coming up with it.

If you do corrdinates, it's showing the intersection as N 33 deg. 57' 34" by W 84 deg. 29'28". Is this where you wanted? It's there, just not easy to find, but if you've live there 22 years, then you should know where it is... ha ha.

As for which of you two look happier, you're both about as happy, but your wife looks more exhuberant... enjoy the car !!!

OK it looked like we were not on a street but I guess I was wrong if you found it in your version.. Hope that someone can advise if Atlanta coverage is that much better in the 8.1 version. By the way, our Lexus rep at the Nalley dealership advised us to wait for the next version that he says will come out in the "Fall".

You are right in that we are both enjoying the car.
Old 05-15-09, 08:07 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

OK it looked like we were not on a street but I guess I was wrong if you found it in your version.. Hope that someone can advise if Atlanta coverage is that much better in the 8.1 version. By the way, our Lexus rep at the Nalley dealership advised us to wait for the next version that he says will come out in the "Fall".
I upgraded from 4.1 to 8.1. It was the first thing I bought after I took ownership of the car.

Tell me what ZOOM LEVEL you are using when looking at your nav, and I will use the same intersection/waypoint/store/etc and I can take a digital pic? Then--you'd be able to compare the 2 screenshots. So long as we both use the SAME zoom level and the same point of reference (in the center of the screen) you should be able to determine how much more detailed it is for that very small microscopic section of the 8,935,832,541,334 waypoints you get with 8.1..lol

Let me know..
Old 05-15-09, 08:18 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I upgraded from 4.1 to 8.1. It was the first thing I bought after I took ownership of the car.

Tell me what ZOOM LEVEL you are using when looking at your nav, and I will use the same intersection/waypoint/store/etc and I can take a digital pic? Then--you'd be able to compare the 2 screenshots. So long as we both use the SAME zoom level and the same point of reference (in the center of the screen) you should be able to determine how much more detailed it is for that very small microscopic section of the 8,935,832,541,334 waypoints you get with 8.1..lol

Let me know..
Thanks, what differences did you notice in your area? I was wondering what new streets, POI's, etc. in my area were added. Will try to find some new roads in our area and ask you to see if they are in the new version. Too late tonight will get back to you tomorrow. Tks again for the help. Happy wives = happy lives.
Old 05-15-09, 08:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

BlackUltra,

Don't have the infos to help you with your NAV question, but you guys looks like a very happy couple, congrats
Old 05-15-09, 08:22 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry the dealership is a used car place called Malones Automotive in Marietta.
That's what I was guessing but wasn't very sure. That is a nice little dealership. Keeps only high end cars. I took a test drive there before I bought mine from a private seller.

I just couldn't see myself paying additional $2K in tax and fees.
Old 05-15-09, 08:26 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BNR34
BlackUltra,

You 2 looks like a very happy couple, congrats
Thanks, as you know,it is one of the best (if not the best) automobile to travel the country in ultimate comfort. We love the ride.
Old 05-15-09, 08:29 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
That's what I was guessing but wasn't very sure. That is a nice little dealership. Keeps only high end cars. I took a test drive there before I bought mine from a private seller.

I just couldn't see myself paying additional $2K in tax and fees.
I had a trade-in and they gave me more than Infiniti would. Plus no-haggle pricing. I hate haggling for an automobile.
Old 05-15-09, 09:31 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks, what differences did you notice in your area? I was wondering what new streets, POI's, etc. in my area were added. Will try to find some new roads in our area and ask you to see if they are in the new version. Too late tonight will get back to you tomorrow. Tks again for the help. Happy wives = happy lives.
I honestly didn't see any differences at all..but that's only because the area I live in is pretty much done growing. Everything I typically need is ~10 miles of my house.

Now---if you're planning on travelling, and using the nav to check out different types of cuisine/restaurants, then upgrading would help. The last thing you need is pulling up to a restaurant that was bulldozed and turned into a gas station..lol.

I travel to Syracuse a lot (4 hour drive) and it's awesome to just let the nav do all the thinking for you. At home for daily use it's pretty much useless..but the ONE time when someone gives you an address, and you don't have internet access, or that ONE time when you're LOST, and have no idea how to get BACK HOME, it is soooo worth it.

I personally would upgrade it now...but that's just me. Knowing that disc database was probably 5 years old bothered me. Version 8.1 is only $250. You'd be going from version 4.1 to 8.1. It will probably be a good 6 months before they release 9.1 and it will probably start out at $300..then several months into it they might lower the price?...who knows.

You can email me a specific address or waypoint or intersection, etc and I'll take some screen shots for you. Just let me know.
Old 05-15-09, 10:46 PM
hoonunya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much better will our nav be if we upgrade our gen 4 from 5.1 to 8.1.
Doesn't 5.1 have the override and 8.1 not have the override?

We use the override a lot when we're traveling. I'm not going to give up my override. My brother has an 08 Camry which blocks nav changes while moving . I found out about the override and checked that it worked on my 05 before I bought it.

I have a garmin so if the in-car didn't have it then I can check the garmin. Haven't had to yet. You can get a very good garmin for not much more money and updates are more up to date and cheaper.

I really like the color!
Old 05-16-09, 04:41 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Version 5.1 Last

Originally Posted by hoonunya
Doesn't 5.1 have the override and 8.1 not have the override?

We use the override a lot when we're traveling. I'm not going to give up my override. My brother has an 08 Camry which blocks nav changes while moving . I found out about the override and checked that it worked on my 05 before I bought it.

I have a garmin so if the in-car didn't have it then I can check the garmin. Haven't had to yet. You can get a very good garmin for not much more money and updates are more up to date and cheaper.

I really like the color!
Yes, version 5.1 is the last that you can override the NAV while moving. Once you go 6.1 and above, you lose that ability.

I don't think that upgrading to 8.1 is going to improve for BlackUltra locally, but it will help as an overall map upgrade for the newer streets and more points-of-interest (POI). Maps are supplied by just two different companies, with NAVTEC being the larger one and it's the engine for everything from Garmin to Googlemap.

Put it this way, worse comes to worse, use coordinates and enter the coordinate of the place and whether or not there is a road or not, it will get you to that general area.

I'll upgrade one day, but like you, I have my Garmin 660 for backup if I really need it.

Quick Reply: Wife wants to know ...