LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Deal or no deal?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 06:08 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal or no deal?!?!?

Saw a 2006 flint mica ls430 w/modern lux package with 93k miles for $19600. Honestly the miles disturb me but i want to ge some opinions from the experts.....so what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-09, 06:56 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Modern luxury, high miles like that... only thing going for it is that it's 2006. At 93K, you're coming very close to the 100K maintenance (unless owner did the 90K) which is over $2000 (spark plugs, filters, transmission maintenance, rear diff. etc.).

I would say $19K is fair and $18.5K is good. Cash, out the door.
Old 05-12-09, 07:44 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a used and abused type of car...
Old 05-13-09, 04:35 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah man way to many miles in a short period of time, was it like a fleet vehicle or something?? do a carfax.
Old 05-13-09, 09:01 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Sojah, find out how well its been maintained first and if everything has been done on schedule and how the brakes and tires look.
As many folks have said, these cars will run for a long, long time with proper care.
Old 05-13-09, 09:53 AM
AlexusAnja

93K is a lot for 3 years that's for sure. My Civic I used for commutes and dating and I was only able to log on 29K/year at best. This dude is doing 30K+/year, which if it's mostly highway, is not bad... but if mostly CITY
Old 05-13-09, 09:57 AM
LS430_Mike
Driver School Candidate

Why is 93k a bad thing for a 3 year old car? The guy had to drive a lot. What do you buy if you drive a lot? A nice car to enjoy. I would not be worried. I just bought mine with 120k and I'm not in the least bit concerned.
Old 05-13-09, 09:20 PM
ebolger
Rookie

I agree with Mike. These cars are built for mileage.
I bought my 430 with 97K. I did the 90K service at the dealer.

The car is a 2001. It has gone 40K the past 4 years.

The dealer checked out the car and with the exception of some small items it was fine.

Whne I bought the car (a month ago) I negotiated a 7 year/100,000 power train warranty.

I plan on drivng this car 35K a year and then selling it like I did my 1997 Acura 3.5RL with 250,000 miles on it.

BTW: I Love this car. It is very comfortable crusing the Interstates in Kalifornia.
Old 05-13-09, 11:01 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

high miles in short years is better than low miles for older cars. They are mostly fwy miles where as 50K miles on a 92 SC could means the car has gone through long time storage, short trips, many start ups and much more.
93K on a 06 is fine, might not even have to change timing belt till 130K.
Old 05-14-09, 06:49 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me tell ya.. I love my Flint Mica '06. It had only 28k when bought 4 months ago, but paid almost half again what they asking for yours. If being sold from lexus dealer, and they check it out, not a bad deal if you intend to hold on to it for a few years.
Old 05-14-09, 06:59 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, there are a lot of different ways of looking at things when considering a car a such!!
- Price... 19k is a very good price for such a car! Provided everything is in good working condition and car is a clean car without any excess wear and tear on the inside!!
-Who drove it and where was it driven? May be you want to do some digging around for what was the car used for by the previous owner! Do you see regular maintenance records in the Carfax report (Lexus reports all of the service history to Carfax).
-Would you rather a 04 with 50k instead of a 06 with 93k? (look the same)
-Check out all the major components of the car by a professional (Lexus dealer, which will end up costing a bit)

And many more, cant thing of anymore right now!!
Old 05-14-09, 08:36 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

I checked out the car today. I was not very pleased with what i saw. The car did not look bad but not prestine. the "ls430" emblem on the back was missing. There was a scuff mark on the front right bumper. The right back rim was severly scratched. The interior was fair.....the back seats and rear carpets where dirty. some of the buttons on the instrument panel had some wear and tear. The guy drove the car over to my work place for me to see it. the interior of the car smelled like cigarettes. The overall paint of the car was decent but the interior of the car was in need of a intense detail. They way i think, first time impressions are everything. if the car looked prestine i might have negotiated a deal. but in the current state that the car looked it give me a bad feeling. Instead of looking like an 06, it looked more like an 04 with normal wear and tear. Like sojah stated it appeared to be a used and abused car. I don't think i will be purchasing this vehicle.....but that you guys for all the great advice.
Old 05-14-09, 08:53 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Didn't work out...

Originally Posted by gs4bkny
I checked out the car today. I was not very pleased with what i saw. The car did not look bad but not prestine. the "ls430" emblem on the back was missing. There was a scuff mark on the front right bumper. The right back rim was severly scratched. The interior was fair.....the back seats and rear carpets where dirty. some of the buttons on the instrument panel had some wear and tear. The guy drove the car over to my work place for me to see it. the interior of the car smelled like cigarettes. The overall paint of the car was decent but the interior of the car was in need of a intense detail. They way i think, first time impressions are everything. if the car looked prestine i might have negotiated a deal. but in the current state that the car looked it give me a bad feeling. Instead of looking like an 06, it looked more like an 04 with normal wear and tear. Like sojah stated it appeared to be a used and abused car. I don't think i will be purchasing this vehicle.....but that you guys for all the great advice.
sorry it didn't work out. Seems like other's are right... abused. Keep looking, you're LS is out there somewhere, just gotta look for it.

Other's have noted the car is made for miles... yes, this is true, but how many miles in how short a period does matter. ALOT it matters. Like I had said, if they are mostly highway miles and this guy just loves driving say between NY and FL, then grant it, it's all highway miles and it was easy cruising so that 93K could equate to more 30K of driving. If the 30K/year he's putting on was mostly local and "taxi style" work, he's stop and going, maintenance on the long side, bad roads, etc. then we're talking a whole lot more wear-n-tear and 93K could equate to 130K compare to normal use.

Buying used... always a tough call, but you saw it, did not appeal to you on first impressions, so move on. Plenty more out there...

good luck.
Old 05-15-09, 05:04 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4bkny
They way i think, first time impressions are everything. if the car looked prestine i might have negotiated a deal. but in the current state that the car looked it give me a bad feeling. Instead of looking like an 06, it looked more like an 04 with normal wear and tear.

I agree with you that a first impression is everything!

What kind of sales person brings a car to a potential buyer in that condition, and really think someone will jump on it—ridiculous! I bought my 04 last year this time, I have to say that it looks like an 06 inside and out. It has to do with how the previous owner treated the car, also the guys are right the LS is built for miles so it you see one that has mostly HWY miles its fine. I wish you well on your search for your LS430.
Old 05-15-09, 03:47 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Reality is

93k in three years is a lot of miles. If most of it was highway (which it had to have been), the car will have a lot of windshield pitting, and depending how much clearbra, if any, the front bumper, hood, and mirrors will be pitted.

How much more would you pay for a car with 60k? Or go a year older to stay in budget.

In my opinion, 30+ per year is too much. 20k a year would be my extreme high.

I'd rather pay more for less miles, or buy an older car.

Quick Reply: Deal or no deal?!?!?