LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Brake Knock on the LS help....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 09:23 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Knock on the LS help....

Hey guys.... so this is not a tsib br005-06 issue.
I've searched but couldn't find much info on this problem.
When i brake, right before i come to a complete stop, there is a loud CLAK! sound. It does not click, or does it make multiple sounds. It is sometimes loud and very noticeable. Happens more often when the weather is hot. If i had to describe the sound, it would be like you give it a loud clap with your hands. That's the kind of sound it makes, very similar.

So does anyone have any ideas of what this may be? Please let me know, it is kinda embarrassing to come to a full stop and have an old lady at the market almost get a heart attack from the sound

any help is appreciated thanks!
Old 05-01-09, 09:31 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subscribed...need info too
Old 05-01-09, 09:56 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I have an issue when I first drive the car. It almost sounds like the brakes are "stuttering" again the caliper. Make a bit of noise when it does it. Noticed this noise on another LS when I test drove it the other day. Also happens on my girlfriends Intrepid.

Anyone else experience this on theirs? Anything to reduce the noise?
Old 05-01-09, 10:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like calipers in both situations...
Old 05-01-09, 01:07 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Caliper and pads

Originally Posted by sojah
sounds like calipers in both situations...
I would say the pads might not be set properly in the "end" situation. The pads might be down to metal too and just 'biting' hard at the end.

As for the hard initial start, do you use your foot brakes when you park? It could be pads sticking and then releasing.
Old 05-01-09, 01:53 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

well this actually happened after i have replaced the brake pads so the pads are pretty much new.
i just dont understand that loud clap sound..... kinda weird. I removed, and re-did the whole thing and its still making that sound..... anyone else with this problem?
The sound is similar to a loud clap, making a loud clap sound.....
Old 05-01-09, 03:17 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

well the same thing happens to me in the morning after backing out my drive way then i am good...(so i try to press the break slightly when coming to a stop so i wont hear it seems to work)..but after that i don't hear it for the rest of the day ( i was told by the deal in order to stop the noise u would have to change the rotor and break pads but it will come back whenever the breaks are getting low and the rotors have wear and tear!!!!
Old 05-01-09, 04:24 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

so its a rotor issue?
Old 05-03-09, 12:02 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

bump.... anyone else with this issue?
Old 05-03-09, 01:28 AM
optionii
Pole Position

well, I never have this issue with mine, but I am a MB tech, I have seen the brake knock noise cause by aftermarket brake pads, and rotors, low on brake pads, or rotors. You can even try to lube the brake caliper pistons, and backing plate of the brake pads to see if the noise goes away
Old 05-03-09, 02:23 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

do you feel anything through the brake pedal? Or in the stopping motion of the actual car? This noise is distinguishable to one corner of the car?

I did a search on the TSIB you mentions and one of the PDF pages showed lube points for the brakes. Have you tried this during your multiple tears downs?

I mean with brakes, it basically pistion, pad, and caliper.....

So it sounds like you recently redid your brakes? Did you do both the calipers and the pads? All four corners?
Old 05-04-09, 12:58 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

i only had the front pads replaced.... this sound did not appear till about a thousand miles later.
Sound comes from the passenger side a split second before it comes to a complete stop.
I used OEM Pads with new shims also..... anyone else with any ideas. Im going to try to lube it up again and recheck all connections to see if that will stop it.
Old 05-04-09, 03:04 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I don't really know much about brakes, but I did them myself on my other car twice.

Did you do the bakes yourself? It sounds like you said you removed and
replaced them yourself after having the problem. I would double check all caliper bolts for proper tightness. Did you have to remove any endlink bushings or anything? Did those get put back properly?

It's possible you may need to bleed your brakes. You might have air in your lines. Do you notice the car pulling to one side when you apply the brakes? It would most likely be to the opposite side of where you are having issues. Pedal feel kinda inconsistent, soft sometimes, hard others?
Old 05-04-09, 03:41 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

did you replace the caliper bolts? I sure you would notice if one was broken during your rebuillds, but figured i'd ask.
Old 05-04-09, 04:18 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The caliper bolts on these cars are one time use bolts. Make sure you tighten them to the proper torque to prevent possible backing out of the bolts potentially causing a loss of brakes!

Quick Reply: Brake Knock on the LS help....