LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 10:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I always wait a while before I shut off my car to let the suspension adjust to even level, I hate gangsta lean!
Funny you said that.

My car did the opposite. Even after I adjusted my sensors to make it sit all even most of the time, right after I pulled into the garage, the car sit all even most of the time, but if I let it idle sitting there, a lot of time the air pump would start going after it idle for 30 seconds and pump up the driver side front strut to make it lean, I hated it. So I shut off the car to prevent that from happening.

The lean is a huge reason why I got rid of the air suspension, now my car never lean
Old 05-12-09, 11:00 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I can see the backs being lower, but when you say "lean" to the pass. side, then providing pictures of corner shots is not going to give proper perspective and angle. I can give you corner pictures of my CL that looks like it's leaning. It's just picture distortion. Anything straight on front, or straight on back, taken at eye level to the rear that we can see?
I'll start posting pics that is straight front or back

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Again, I'm not questioning anyone that says it leans, but like you've said, we need the UL people here to speak up and say this is a problem. Thus far, not many speakers in the house. Plus, for Lexus to admit anything, there has to be a larger audience to voice the complaint, or it's just preaching to the choir for you UL owners that have the problem.
Again, it is not a problem, it is not broken, it is just a bad design. You can't go after any companies for having a bad design. Lexus will never admit to anything. Beside, the fix is so simple, why bother? But I should clarify, like I said, even after I adjusted my sensors to make it sit even most of the time, once in a while, it would still lean when it feels like it.
Old 05-12-09, 11:17 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Here is one, the driver side is higher....

You can always argue that it is a bad picture or the car is parked on unlevel ground though.

Old 05-12-09, 04:15 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just picture and illusion

Originally Posted by BNR34
Here is one, the driver side is higher....

You can always argue that it is a bad picture or the car is parked on unlevel ground though...
No, it's just photos are 2-d and they create optical illusions when viewed. Take a look at this stock photo of my LS. Looks to be leaning, but it doesn't and it's a CL.
Attached Thumbnails Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-rear_pass.jpg  
Old 05-12-09, 04:21 PM
AlexusAnja

Also, design flaw or problem/defect is purely semantics. If a car is suppose to sit level and it's designed and built to sit level but it ends up leaning to one side, it's defective. Let's say your house leans like the Tower of Pisa, it's not toppling over sure, but it still leans right? Is this a defect or a design flaw? The tower wasn't designed to lean.

With all this said, if the car DOES NOT lean when running, then I would not have an issue with it because it doesn't add to any improper weight distro (theoretically) as it's moving.
Old 05-12-09, 04:39 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Rear view

Here is another straight from back...
Attached Thumbnails Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-rear.jpg  
Old 05-12-09, 08:46 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the feature I hate most in UL is this crooked stance... (I had my adjusted at the dealership, but this photo is before the adjustment)
Attached Thumbnails Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-5950_lexus_ls430_white_ahhh2.jpg  
Old 05-12-09, 08:47 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

one more....
Attached Thumbnails Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-5950_lexus_ls430_white_dr_angle.jpg  
Old 08-22-09, 04:38 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently (yesterday) grabbed an '02 LS 430 UL.

At the dealer I noticed the front was WAY high (both sides) and the back was sagging completely (you can see the rear tires leaning in slightly at the top)

This was while set at "normal" ride height. When I set it to "high" absolutely nothing happened... so I set it back. It continued to stay in this stance until today when I took it into the shop to get it looked over before i 100% buy it. When they tested it at the shop, the ride height actually worked......

So I get back in the car and head on out, and notice that the ride height switch appears to no longer be functioning again, except I am now in "gangster lean" mode.. so the front driver's side is jacked all the way up, the passenger front is mid-way, and the rear is slammed.

Is this something a competent lexus dealer should be able to easily resolve?

Also, I took notice of the following post in this thread..

Originally Posted by sojah
thats gangsta son!! heres my 4x4, i mean UL, pre controller that is..
Can anyone provide me more info on the "controller" sojah mentions? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-09, 07:25 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I own an 04 UL and I don't understand the "problem" here. To start with, what is used to judge whether or not the rear is high or low? I chose to define "level" as the horizontal chrome strip that runs from the front to the rear of the car as it defines visually whether or not the car is sitting "level". Others might choose another definition, so I can't see a reasonable way to argue this issue. Just choose what you like.

The lean issue is easily defined. Just measure the vertical height at the center of the wheel to the wheel well cut out (as previously suggested) if you don't trust your visual observation (photos are almost impossible to use as a reference IMO). These measurements from front to rear might be different, depending on your definition of level.

If the car has a lean, take it to the dealer and have them fix it. If something is defective and it can't be adjusted to have no lean, then it is Lexus responsibility to fix it. Surely UL owners would have noticed and had this fixed before the warranty ran out. I suspect that is the reason that you don't see many UL owner entering into this thread. I had my car adjusted after I bought it used with 20K miles and haven't had a problem since (now 52K miles).

Perfectly happy with my air suspension.
Old 08-23-09, 05:30 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked mine today and it sits the same side to side front and rear, there is a 1/4" difference front to rear. The car sits pretty high, though, even in normal mode.
Old 02-21-12, 09:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I was at the dealer yesterday and saw a brand new 2011 LS460L on air suspension that have the same gangstar lean as the LS430 UL. It is not as bad as the 430, but it is definitely still leaning the same way.

So Lexus still haven't solve this problem yet after all these years
Old 02-21-12, 10:24 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys do know the front fender arches are higher than the rears. That's why so many extreme VIP guys radius the rears.

My car did have the passenger side rear sag, but after getting my rear shocks replaced under warranty, it went away.
Old 02-21-12, 10:30 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the problem is that most techs including those at the dealer don't know the proper sequence of adjusting the sensors to get the car level. The other problem is doing adjustments on ground that is not perfectly flat. An alignment rack is flat and is an ideal surface to make adjustments to the suspension. I can't remember exactly what the sequence is but I think it starts with adjusting the front right first, as if it is a "master" adjustment, then fine tune it from the other wheels.
Old 02-21-12, 10:31 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by waijai
You guys do know the front fender arches are higher than the rears. That's why so many extreme VIP guys radius the rears.
This uneven lean is not only from front to rear, it is even more dramatic from left to right

Last edited by BNR34; 02-21-12 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.