LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Valentine One Placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 03:10 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Valentine One Placement

For those of you with a Valentine One radar detector do any of you have any ideas or photos to share showing where you installed your detector? I want mine to appear as discreet and professional as possible.
Old 04-29-09, 10:09 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I want it on the windshield where it can be as effective as possible, so I guess I forego the 'cool' install. I generally just hard-wire my vehicles so I can position the V1 near the rear view mirror. Easy to reach, easy to see, maximum signal pick-up, so I just live with that.
Old 04-29-09, 02:41 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radar Placement...

Not too familiar with that model but one of my best friends is an officer for the Texas Highway Patrol and he says the best place for mounting a detector is either in the grill or as far forward in the windshield as you can get it, preferrably near the center. Most of them are now using lasers and they are linear and not like the radar of the past. He says the dash mounted lasers are typically aimed at the bumper/license plate area so that the largest part of the vehicle is detected. Hope that helps you figure this out.
Old 04-29-09, 09:41 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 04_LS_430R
Not too familiar with that model but one of my best friends is an officer for the Texas Highway Patrol and he says the best place for mounting a detector is either in the grill or as far forward in the windshield as you can get it, preferrably near the center. Most of them are now using lasers and they are linear and not like the radar of the past. He says the dash mounted lasers are typically aimed at the bumper/license plate area so that the largest part of the vehicle is detected. Hope that helps you figure this out.
I'd think the grill mount would seriously hurt the ability for the detector to pick up signals from the rear and sides, which is a big advantage of the V1 in the first place. Also, many (most?) police departments may have lasers now, but I definitely don't find most radar units to be laser -- only a relative few compared to the other bands.
Old 05-05-09, 07:46 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I'd think the grill mount would seriously hurt the ability for the detector to pick up signals from the rear and sides, which is a big advantage of the V1 in the first place. Also, many (most?) police departments may have lasers now, but I definitely don't find most radar units to be laser -- only a relative few compared to the other bands.
I agree. I also have my detector under the rear view mirror and it seems to work well. Had a guy try to sell me an in-grill model of another brand because he said the Lexus Ultra had something in the windshield that would affect the range. Didn't see any evidience of that on last two trips.
Old 05-05-09, 07:59 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hmmm...I'm wondering the samething too.....I would like mine to be hidden and clean looking as well. But of course to work the right way as well...
Old 05-05-09, 08:37 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

i was at a higher end audio shop a long time back. maybe five years. There was a radar detection unit that installed sensors in front and rear bumpers, then installed LED's actually in the dash. Very low visibility. I'm sure it was a lot though.
Old 05-05-09, 08:49 PM
ebolger
Rookie

Originally Posted by 04_LS_430R

Correct me if I am wrong but I think if you are lasered you are toast. V1 is not going to help you ....only tell you that you have been lit up.

Old 05-05-09, 09:17 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ebolger
Correct me if I am wrong but I think if you are lasered you are toast. V1 is not going to help you ....only tell you that you have been lit up.

Well, you're generally nailed when your vehicle gets pinged with any radar, regardless of band (unless it's one of the units that has to have a "confirming" signal and you stand on the brakes immediately at the first beep from the detector). Laser is much less likely than other bands to get scattered and picked up by your detector when the cops are shooting cars in front or behind you, but your chances are pretty decent if you're traveling in traffic.
Old 05-05-09, 09:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

I've got mine hardwired up near the mirror. Will try to snap pics of it tomorrow.

Here's one from the outside where you can see it (faintly). Basically just peeking out from below the mirror. The picture is a bit deceiving in retrospect, what you first think is the v1 is the gap under the headrest and out the back window... the valentine is above that.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-05-09 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 07:30 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've got mine hardwired up near the mirror. Will try to snap pics of it tomorrow.

Here's one from the outside where you can see it (faintly). Basically just peeking out from below the mirror. The picture is a bit deceiving in retrospect, what you first think is the v1 is the gap under the headrest and out the back window... the valentine is above that.
I just noticed your wheels are not the standard. Grateful if you can advise what they are and do you have anymore pics of them. Must say they look very classy.
Old 05-06-09, 08:20 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Sorry, just checked your website and saw the pics. I take it that the wheels are for sale?
Old 05-06-09, 09:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Lots of pollen in NC and my wife's Porsche and BMW get the garage so apologies for the dirty car.

Here are some pics of how mine is setup. I had my trusted audio installer do this (he's done two other Lexus of mine and takes him 15 - 20 minutes) using the included tap that comes with your V1. He just taps to a switched power in the mirror / sunroof control area.

I have it mounted a little higher than usual; typically keep it just low enough so that the rear sensor gets a view of the rear window.

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Sorry, just checked your website and saw the pics. I take it that the wheels are for sale?
They are, here is a link to my FS ad (I haven't been promoting them too much). Speaking of not promoting - feel free to pm me if you have questions so we don't take this thread off topic, thanks

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-06-09 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-06-09, 09:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I have planned on getting one of these mounts, but not 100% certain if they (and which one) will fit given the angle of our mirror post.

http://www.countryjoycrafts.com/350Z/valentinemount.htm

The 'Super-Z' mount is new since I last looked at them and probably the one I'd try. If anybody gives it a shot before I do please post up !

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-06-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-08-09, 06:33 AM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I have planned on getting one of these mounts, but not 100% certain if they (and which one) will fit given the angle of our mirror post.
I looked into these same mounts a couple of months back. My conclusion (although I didn't actually buy one to test) after measuring the stated requirements on the post, it will not fit - our mirror posts are too skinny, not angled, and no space.

Hey, if prove me wrong, please let me know. I personally do not like using the suction cup mounts.

Quick Reply: Valentine One Placement