LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Brake Pad Replacement w/ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 12:00 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I am pretty sure the caliper bolts are steel and not aluminum but I could be wrong. Regardless of material torquing down the caliper bolts to 80ft'/lbs stretches the bolts so they are not supposed to be reused.
They're aluminum, Jab. That's why they stretch. Steel at 80 ft./lbs. doesn't stretch.
Old 02-09-17, 02:32 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
...This was my first confirmation. At 48k, the backs were 65% gone, and the fronts, maybe 35%. Many cars today wear out the rears faster than the fronts, due to the traction/stability etc.....I love the BMW OEM brakes...I think the LS deserves larger brakes...and they're not even cheap at all.....
Well if true, and hard to tell on such a small sample size, I'd say it was more likely due to the fact that rear pads have a much smaller surface area and also are generally thinner that the fronts. Make no mistake though, the lions share of the braking effort comes from the front.

As far as the LS, I dunno, I think it brakes just fine IMHO. I think Lexus had its intended market dialed in when considering how much braking power was needed for this car. As far as parts cost, I probably won't need any replacement parts for a long time but the price of pads and rotors at Rockauto are well in line with what you would pay for any other common vehicle much less a luxury car...
Old 02-09-17, 02:35 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This was my first confirmation. At 48k, the backs were 65% gone, and the fronts, maybe 35%. Many cars today wear out the rears faster than the fronts, due to the traction/stability etc.....I love the BMW OEM brakes...I think the LS deserves larger brakes...and they're not even cheap at all.....

p.s. I used the paste on the BMW brakes, and even siicone on the pins, which they say is a no-no....whatever!
The BMW brake pad paste in silver packets is ATE Plastilube, it's good stuff. Just as long as that red CRC sauce or Permatex green/purple brake lube isn't used.

Newer cars with VSC/ESP and EBD tend to do eat the rears quicker - regardless of brand, a friend's Subaru ate the rear brakes a touch past 40K. I'll say the Germans have their brakes down, Japanese brakes tend to be touchy, while American brakes, bleh.
Old 02-10-17, 05:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
The BMW brake pad paste in silver packets is ATE Plastilube, it's good stuff. Just as long as that red CRC sauce or Permatex green/purple brake lube isn't used.

Newer cars with VSC/ESP and EBD tend to do eat the rears quicker - regardless of brand, a friend's Subaru ate the rear brakes a touch past 40K. I'll say the Germans have their brakes down, Japanese brakes tend to be touchy, while American brakes, bleh.
Yeah I used the BMW branded packets with the quiet paste...but I meant I used some ATE silicone on the guide pins, and the manual clearly states do not use any type of lubricant. It just defied common sense so I did it. Since I know more than BMW engineers lol

Also I kinda wasted the brake parts by replacing the fronts at 48k, but I said I already have them apart and already took the rotors off, just put the new hardware on. The front rotors came off by simply pounding the hat with my fist, and the car was 9 years old. Made the mistake of listening to the forum and bedded the brakes. Once again, in the OEM box, there is a hang tag that a tech is supposed to put on the rearview mirror, instructing the owner to go easy on the brakes for 1000 km.

Last noteworthy thing is on the car's computer, when reset, the fronts show 90,000 miles left, the rears, 45,000 left. So it is totally by design that the rears last 1/2 the life of the fronts, and this is demonstrated by experience as well....

I really like semi metallic myself, perform way better than ceramic, but ah the noise....
Old 10-26-23, 10:14 AM
JosefR
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTodd
When installing the front pads, and compressing the pistons, I used an old pad to apply pressure to push the pistons into the caliper equally. Pushing in on them individually only caused the other piston to push out.
Todd
How do you do that without removing the calipers from the rotor?
Old 10-26-23, 12:18 PM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts

You have room to squeeze an old pad to push in the pistons, e.g., with some channel lock type plies or by prying with a large screwdriver or something else.
Remove the cap to to the brake fluid reservoir before you push the pistons in.

see this video at the 5:15 mark

Last edited by TominPT; 10-26-23 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JosefR (10-26-23)
Old 10-26-23, 04:19 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TominPT
You have room to squeeze an old pad to push in the pistons, e.g., with some channel lock type plies or by prying with a large screwdriver or something else.
Remove the cap to to the brake fluid reservoir before you push the pistons in.

see this video at the 5:15 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTBohKROGqA
On every brake pad change I perform, I do a couple more steps.

Open the bleeder valve on the caliper being working on, then compress the brake pistons. Opening the bleeder valve is MUCH more effective than taking the cap off the brake fluid reservoir. Opening the bleeder not only relieves pressure better, but allows the nasty old fluid to escape OUT, instead of back INTO the brake lines. That nasty, old, black, used and abused acidic brake fluid that's lived right next to the searingly hot brakes, likely for years and years of non-circulation! Open the bleeder, and push that nastiness out! Just make sure you buy the largest bottle of DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid, top off the reservoir, and press the brake and fill the reservoir and press the brake and fill the reservoir, etc.!
The following users liked this post:
TominPT (10-27-23)