LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

CEL then VSC OFF/CHECK VSC problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 06:21 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CEL then VSC OFF/CHECK VSC problems

Unfortunately I'm frequenting the forums with new posts lately that have to do with problems. I'd rather just navigate around here and read all good things, but...what can I do? I need help again.

Took my 2001 LS430 to a shop to get motor mounts replaced. Anyway, in the process, the mechanic disconnected few vaccuum hoses and power steering tank, etc. He plugged all this stuff back once the job was complete, except for the little vaccuum hose on the driver side of the engine, right at the top(the one that exits out of the black square plastic thing, not sure what that is). he forgot to plug it back in.

When I left the shop, they were about to close for the day. So on the way home, check engine light came on. I came back the next day to the shop and he did find the disconnected vaccuum hose and connected it back in. however, that did not solve the check engine. I had to go to work and had no time for further diagnosis of the problem and since the car was driving OK, I went on.

Now it's 2 days later. I stopped at Autozone so they can get a reading of the CEL code. The guy started the car, plugged the diagnostic computer and told me it was O2 Sensor 1 Bank 1. But, when he connected to vehicle onboard comp, ABS light started flashing and VSC Off/CHECK VSC came on. I told him these weren't on and only the check engine light was on. He said "sorry, nothing I can do. I don't know why these lights came on".

Now, I'm all pissed. I got the CEL on, plus the stupid CHECK VSC! ABS luckily extinguished itself. What is this? I doubt VSC has anything to do with the Oxygen Sensor. Or am I wrong? Could have he shorted something out and cause the VSC to crap out?

Is there a way to reset the VSC? I disconnected the battery, but after conecting it back in, the VSC came on as soon as I started driving.

Now I got O2 sensors on order(decided to do both sides, since one was worn out, figured the other would go soon as well). Plus, and hopefully this can be resolved wothout additional expense, the CHECK VSC thing is getting on my nerves now.

Car's been great for years. All parts always replaced with OEM, but not always at the dealer.

How can I reset VSC? Or will it go away on its own, since most likely there is nothing wrong with it...I hope...

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-09-09, 09:10 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy to report I was able to reset the VSC error!

Here is how you reset the VSC on 2001 LS430(courtesy of Speedemon):
if you get the VSC Off light on your dash immediately and the display says Check VSC ( Vehicle Stability Control I believe) it has to do with your code scanner when you read your codes, you'll need to get something to jumper between 2 pins on the obdc connector under the dash the TS and CG pins (see picture courtesy of FYOUNES on one of these posts) igntion off, jumper the 2 pins, turn ignition on, don't start, wait until the vsc test comes up in the display, turn ignition off, pull jumper, start car, go for a ride.

Thanks Speedemon for your post on DIY O2 sensor replacemnt for the LS430 where this procedure is mentioned as well.

The VSC error in my case was most likely caused by the code scanner at Autozone.

I used a paper clip to jump the 2 connectors and reset tghe VSC OFF CHECK VSC error message. Took it for a spin and so far so good.

This site is just awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
obdc.bmp (57.7 KB, 1641 views)