LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 09:31 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SAVVY
Ok thought I would post an update with regards to using the Tein CS Coilovers. No issues installing them except (After pulling the compressor fuse) now I have the AFS light flashing on the dash. I know this is for the lights turning when you make a turn. No other issue with the headlights they still aim properly
If I remember right, there are 2 compressor fuses, or there is one fuse and one relay. Read my post on that carefully. I pulled my fuse and now 3 years and 30k miles later, no light what so ever. I am guessing you pulled the relay instead of the fuse.

Cost: $2480 CDN - (Coilovers + Labour and alignment at Lexus dealer)
Sold 2 good air shocks for $600 + $500 for used ASC680

Total Cost: $1380 CDN so not too bad I guess
My total cost was $850 USD, ha.................just teasing you
Old 07-11-12, 09:54 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll check that out tonight since it was my Lexus dealer that I told to pull the fuse but I did not go and check. Would it be possible to take a picture of the fuse box on yours so I see which fuse you pulled. As for the price if I didn't use my Lexus dealer for the install I am sure my price would of been alot less but I didn't trust anyone else to do the install. Oh well I am very happy with the look and the ride quality so I can't complain too much. Now I have to get some 20's to complete the look.

Much thanks BNR34 if you can get me a pic of the fuse box and location of the fuse you took out.

Ken
Old 07-11-12, 10:05 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is really helpful, will most likely need to do this at some point. How did you all know it was time to change the air suspension out? My car rides like a dream on smooth roads and on the highway, its a but clunky over bumps at lower speeds. I am considering replacing some bushings and ball joints as a stop gap measure for a bit. Thoughts?
Old 07-11-12, 10:23 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Pics of the fuse box and yes I agree looks like my dealer took the relay out but which fuse do I take out again. Thanks again for your help!

Ignore this post wrong fuse box!

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 07-11-12 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-11-12, 11:41 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Much thanks BNR34 if you can get me a pic of the fuse box and location of the fuse you took out.

Ken
From my post before:

"The air compressor's fuse is in the fuse box right next to the battery in the engine compartment. Look in the back of the fuse box cover to see the location of the fuse, it is the 2nd small one from the right."

^^ your pic is too fuzzy, just find the tiny fuse on the right that say "air compressor" I think. Yes they pulled the relay that trigger the warning light.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4429570-post35.html
Old 07-11-12, 11:44 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I am guessing is this one, get me a clearer picture.
Attached Thumbnails UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos-fuse.jpg  
Old 07-11-12, 11:46 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
This is really helpful, will most likely need to do this at some point. How did you all know it was time to change the air suspension out? My car rides like a dream on smooth roads and on the highway, its a but clunky over bumps at lower speeds. I am considering replacing some bushings and ball joints as a stop gap measure for a bit. Thoughts?
You will know, it would ride like a nightmare when it goes out.
Old 07-11-12, 12:12 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the reply. The crappy cell phone picture posted above is the fuse box on the drivers side near the headlight so just ignore those pics. I will go check the one near the battery. Thanks again for your help. Next time I should read the entire post.
Old 07-11-12, 12:52 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
You will know, it would ride like a nightmare when it goes out.
Thats helpful. Its not bad, a little boat like around corners but that's kind of what I expect from a car like this. On the highway its unbelievable smooth. I am SO PARANOID to even touch the adjustable buttons!
Old 07-11-12, 02:52 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Ok spoke to my Lexus dealer who did the install they took out the wrong fuse. The one they took out was the 20A air suspension fuse in the drivers side left side foot well (This also controls the AFS OFF button thus the flashing light on the dash). All is perfect now with no light flashing!

Much thanks to BNR34 for your assistance. Pictures below show the 40A fuse that needs to come out of the fuse box (See circled area) near the battery.
Attached Thumbnails UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos-dsc01516.jpg   UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos-dsc01517.jpg  
Old 07-11-12, 06:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Ok spoke to my Lexus dealer who did the install they took out the wrong fuse. The one they took out was the 20A air suspension fuse in the drivers side left side foot well (This also controls the AFS OFF button thus the flashing light on the dash). All is perfect now with no light flashing!

Much thanks to BNR34 for your assistance. Pictures below show the 40A fuse that needs to come out of the fuse box (See circled area) near the battery.
Glad I helped solved a problem! I appreciate you being so appreciative too
Old 08-08-12, 09:05 AM
Leiptr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a problem with the tires wearing on the inside? About six months after performing my upgrade I blew a rear tire and when I swapped it with the spare,I noticed the tire was worn all the way through on the inside. After examining the rest of the tires, I found the same issue on all of them and had to replace all four tires. After replacing the tires, I had another alignment and was told that since I lowered the car the rear tires couldn't be aligned properly and I had to get custom rear control arms (@295 each + labor). Now here is is six months later and I've already blown another rear tire and the other is goign to blow soon as well (the front tires seem to be fine though). I'm also having a problem with the left front tire (driver side) rubbing against the frame of the car. It's so bad now that the metal is cutting into my tire.

Did I miss some part of the conversion that's causing my tires to wear unevenly on the inside? At $350 a tire, this is starting to get expensive considering they only last six months. Would a camber kit like the one mentioned in the link below fix the problem with tire wear?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-gs-ls430.html

Last edited by Leiptr; 08-08-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 10:38 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What are the alignment figures at the height it is aligned? Beyond -1.5 degrees of camber it can be hard on tires. Toe is also another factor. How many miles on tires?

For many of us, we flip the tires to even out the wear characteristics. I've gone through tires in as short as 8K miles on another car that had -3.5 camber in the rear.
Old 08-08-12, 01:08 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Leiptr
Does anyone have a problem with the tires wearing on the inside? About six months after performing my upgrade I blew a rear tire and when I swapped it with the spare,I noticed the tire was worn all the way through on the inside. After examining the rest of the tires, I found the same issue on all of them and had to replace all four tires. After replacing the tires, I had another alignment and was told that since I lowered the car the rear tires couldn't be aligned properly and I had to get custom rear control arms (@295 each + labor). Now here is is six months later and I've already blown another rear tire and the other is goign to blow soon as well (the front tires seem to be fine though). I'm also having a problem with the left front tire (driver side) rubbing against the frame of the car. It's so bad now that the metal is cutting into my tire.

Did I miss some part of the conversion that's causing my tires to wear unevenly on the inside? At $350 a tire, this is starting to get expensive considering they only last six months. Would a camber kit like the one mentioned in the link below fix the problem with tire wear?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-gs-ls430.html
Are you on strut/springs or coilovers? Which springs? Stock tire specs?
Old 08-09-12, 09:48 AM
Leiptr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cronic
Are you on strut/springs or coilovers? Which springs? Stock tire specs?
Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

strut/springs

sport struts = kyb gr2

springs = Tanabe NF springs

Tires = Pirelli P Zero 235/55R17 (stock is 225/55/R17)

Quick Reply: UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos