LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 01:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGarry
Glad to hear that you like the conversion and that you are happy with the ride. Quite a bit of work there but in the end it's all good. Congrats!!!
Yeah it was A LOT of work doing it myself, I am not an auto mechanic, it is tough for me. But knowing it is done exactly the way I want it, and was done perfectly, is priceless.

Originally Posted by LSGarry
Does the new system lean/sway when you are going around curves and pushing it a bit? My 05 sport sits perfectly flat when taking a curve and I really like it that way. I would think yours would do the same.
My car is pretty much the same as yours now, not identical, give and take here and there, but pretty much the same. Your rear sway bar is a hair bigger, but I got lowering springs that are a hair stiffer. Same shocks and your upper A-arm bushings are firmer. In general, my car should feel pretty much like yours.

How much it lean/sway is a very subjective question, it depends on what each person is used to. The car lean less now compare to the air suspension before, but my other car is a WRX STi with very firm suspension, so in comparison, my LS still leans more. I am with you, I like flat cornering, I am going to drive it for a month or 2 and see if I want less lean, if I do, I might add the OEM sport rear sway bar, or buy some TRD front and rear sway bars. It depends on how much less sway I want.
Old 04-13-09, 05:58 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Which is why I decided to rip out my air suspension, it is the only way to get rid of all the problems once and for all.
Nuke em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Seriously, nice job. Post a review of how it drives versus stock after the springs settle in a little.
Old 04-13-09, 07:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by campisi
Nuke em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Definitely.

It is only the 1st day I have steel springs on this car, I love it way more then the stock air. The stock air always sit weird everytime I look at it.

Seriously, nice job.
Thank you, I appreciate that

Post a review of how it drives versus stock after the springs settle in a little.
The springs settle or not is not going to change how it drives, just like everyone who has the Tanabe NF210 springs said, it feels stock. In my case, it feels the same as a stock sport suspension car. Which is exactly what I want, I just have to work on making it sit lower.
Old 04-14-09, 09:59 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Oooooh very nice Jeff. Congrats on a mission accomplished.
Definitely will check back when my air suspension goes out (crossing fingers and toes to hold out as long as possible)
Old 04-14-09, 10:10 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Oooooh very nice Jeff. Congrats on a mission accomplished.
Thank you, I appreciate that

Definitely will check back when my air suspension goes out (crossing fingers and toes to hold out as long as possible)
Best wish for your air suspension to be long lasting
Old 04-14-09, 10:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Best wish for your air suspension to be long lasting
Thank you. As long as they last beyond the 75k since I didn't get the extended warranty, it's good enough for me

I might have to drive down to make a visit one day to see how your LS feels
Old 04-14-09, 01:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you. As long as they last beyond the 75k since I didn't get the extended warranty, it's good enough for me
yup, the extended warranty is pointless as the whole conversion is only $1500 for me.

I might have to drive down to make a visit one day to see how your LS feels
No problem, anytime! To save you a trip though, just go find a stock sport suspension car near you and test drive it, it feels about the same right now, unless I get those TRD sway bars

The more I drive my car now, the more I love it, I feel like modding it now that it feels more sporty, I don't know if that is a good or bad thing
Old 04-14-09, 10:19 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff, just catching up on this thread. Congrats on the completion of the conversion. Can't wait to see the difference in ride as compared to how I have my settings on the data controller (and that you rode in to the meet in OC).

BTW, I am registered for the ToyotaFest May 11th. I will be taking my FJ40. Let me know if you want to go. I understand lots of CL members in SoCal will be taking their cars there.
Old 04-15-09, 08:02 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
Hey Jeff, just catching up on this thread. Congrats on the completion of the conversion.
Thank you J

Can't wait to see the difference in ride as compared to how I have my settings on the data controller (and that you rode in to the meet in OC).
The dampening feel pretty similar to your sport setting, the difference is the steel springs give a more soild feel compare to the air springs, which is what I prefer. I'll let you drive it when we meet again

BTW, I am registered for the ToyotaFest May 11th. I will be taking my FJ40. Let me know if you want to go. I understand lots of CL members in SoCal will be taking their cars there.
You meant May 9th Yeah I think I am interested, I'll appreciate it if you let me ride in your FJ40, it would be fun. My schedule is open for that day right now, so I can go, unless something comes up. Thanks for the offer
Old 04-16-09, 08:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The ride height get lower and lower everyday, I am happy to see that.

I should be able to post some pics next week

And the car feels oh so good!
Old 04-16-09, 09:15 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome job! Nice to know that there is another option if the air fails.
Old 04-16-09, 09:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boomer01
Awesome job! Nice to know that there is another option if the air fails.
Hey thanks.

Definitely nice to know. I plan to keep the car for 10+ years, 200k+ miles, I feel good to know my replacement shock is now $170 each, instead of $900 each!

The air is cool if you want to dump the car on the ground, but since I have no need for that, I don't need the extra cost involved.

Now I have the best of both world, all the gadgets from the UL package, without the costly problematic air suspension!
Old 04-18-09, 09:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I drove my LS fast for the 1st time today since I bought it one year ago, the steel springs definitely transformed the car, I never felt like driving it fast on the air before.

The car handle great for a full size 4000 lbs luxury sedan It actually go pretty fast, good power, good brakes, it is now a sports sedan. Not as sporty as my dad's GS300 Sport Design I drove today, but very good for a LS.

I am very happy

Last edited by BNR34; 04-18-09 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-20-09, 07:21 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think that with the right (but relatively minor) mods the LS could make a decent "sports sedan" but I'm not sure if the chassis is stiff enough. It's definitely light for a large sedan -- lighter than most anything in the classs, IIRC, indluding the Audi A8 with it's much ballyhooed aluminum construction LOL), the brakes appear to be up to the any reasonable street challenge, and I think the center of gravity may be a lot lower than one might suspect based upon the vehicle's appearance (for example, the tops of the cylinder heads are slightly lower than the tops of the tires, which indicates that the weight of the drivetrain is sunk relatively low in the chassis). All that said, a big car like the LS or an A8 or S-class is NOT a sports car, IMO. They are for traveling in comfort.
Old 04-20-09, 08:23 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I6turbo, how ever you look at it, the LS430 is an excellently engineered automobile

It is quicker, lighter, handle better, better fuel economy, total comfort and luxury with the best reliability and longivity then all comparable cars in the market. Boy I sounds like a total fanboy but it is all true!!

The reason the A8 is so heavy is due to the Quattro, 4WD in a luxury sedan is pointless in my opinion unless the car is driven on snow

Yes the most important thing on the LS/A8/S-class/7 series is total comfort, but if it doesn't sacrifice any comfort, it doesn't hurt if it is a little responsive and handle good also.

Man I love the LS430

Quick Reply: UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos