UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 06:50 AM
LesMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 LS430 UL Air to Steel conversion - Blinking AFS OFF Light on Dash

Originally Posted by BNR34
As many of you already knows, the 2 rear air struts on my UL failed, I have decided to convert my car to conventional steel springs. Many UL owners have shown interest in this conversion to avoid keep paying the very high price of the air struts, so I want to start this thread to share all the infos I found and document the whole process.

Today, I think I stumbled, solved the biggest question of the conversion, how to shut off the air suspension computer without triggering an error message from the main computer.

The main objective is to shut off the air compressor, since we don't want it to keep pumping air if the height sensors tells the computer the car is sitting too low.

I found 2 air suspension fuses and 1 air suspension relay, all I did was pulled the fuse to the air compressor. That disabled the air compressor, and to my pleasant surprise, that didn't trigger any error message or code or blinking light

How do I know I disabled the air compressor? The car doesn't go up when I press the "high" button, the "height Hi" message still came on in the cluster, but the air compressor didn't come on.

So that was it, that is all I care to disable. The air suspension computer can think whatever it want to think, I don't think that does any harm. Not that I can think of anyway, if you guys can think of anything, please let me know!

Now I am off to check out how to remove the rear power seats to get to the top struts mounting nuts.
I recently had my 2004 LS430 UL upgraded to the Steel Suspension - removing the Air Suspension. My mechanic followed your instructions - to remove the GREEN Fuse - but I still have a blinking AFS OFF light.

He did mention that he had to disconnect the leveling arms due to some mechanical conflict. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the blinking light error.

Any suggestions??
Attached Thumbnails UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos-afs-off-led.jpg  
Old 08-31-12, 12:01 PM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LesMan
I recently had my 2004 LS430 UL upgraded to the Steel Suspension - removing the Air Suspension. My mechanic followed your instructions - to remove the GREEN Fuse - but I still have a blinking AFS OFF light.

He did mention that he had to disconnect the leveling arms due to some mechanical conflict. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the blinking light error.

Any suggestions??
He probably disconnected the height sensors and that would cause the AFS to have probems. The AFS uses the height sensors as an input. He shouldn't have had to disconnect any of that. I did the conversion myself and I left all of the air suspension sensors in place.
Old 08-31-12, 12:05 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 94GS300
He probably disconnected the height sensors and that would cause the AFS to have probems. The AFS uses the height sensors as an input. He shouldn't have had to disconnect any of that. I did the conversion myself and I left all of the air suspension sensors in place.
You took the words out of my mouth
Old 08-31-12, 12:35 PM
LesMan
Driver School Candidate

YES - confirmed - he completely removed the sensors.

BUT - I'm worried. He said that there was an interference in the front that FORCED him to remove the sensor.

I also noticed that the clearance on the front wheel well is SUBSTANTIALLY less than the clearance on the front end. I think I may have received incorrect "Front Springs" (I purchased an "open box" set of Tanabe springs - where the front springs were installed / returned. I think someone did a switch-a-roo and sent the wrong ones back.)

So... looks like I'm going to order ANOTHER set of TANABE NF210 springs ... and hopefully when I replace the fronts they will look like the rears... and the SENSOR Brackets will not have interference (I hope).
Old 01-26-13, 11:32 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
As many of you already knows, the 2 rear air struts on my UL failed, I have decided to convert my car to conventional steel springs. Many UL owners have shown interest in this conversion to avoid keep paying the very high price of the air struts, so I want to start this thread to share all the infos I found and document the whole process.

Today, I think I stumbled, solved the biggest question of the conversion, how to shut off the air suspension computer without triggering an error message from the main computer.

The main objective is to shut off the air compressor, since we don't want it to keep pumping air if the height sensors tells the computer the car is sitting too low.

I found 2 air suspension fuses and 1 air suspension relay, all I did was pulled the fuse to the air compressor. That disabled the air compressor, and to my pleasant surprise, that didn't trigger any error message or code or blinking light

How do I know I disabled the air compressor? The car doesn't go up when I press the "high" button, the "height Hi" message still came on in the cluster, but the air compressor didn't come on.

So that was it, that is all I care to disable. The air suspension computer can think whatever it want to think, I don't think that does any harm. Not that I can think of anyway, if you guys can think of anything, please let me know!

Now I am off to check out how to remove the rear power seats to get to the top struts mounting nuts.
So how do I remove the rear seat back? I'm in process of replacing air struts with coil overs.... Gotta get the rear seat back out to get to top of rear struts, right?
Old 01-26-13, 02:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dtaylor
So how do I remove the rear seat back? I'm in process of replacing air struts with coil overs.... Gotta get the rear seat back out to get to top of rear struts, right?
Go read thru this whole thread, I am pretty sure I mention how to remove the rear seat back.

Is been a long time, but I remember once you removed the seat bottom (just pull straight up on the front edge), you would see all the mounting bolts for the rear seat back. Just look around, is very easy to figure out where all the mounting bolts are. I did all of that without a shop manual.

I might had a diagram of how the rear seats go together at the time, go find one online or ask the dealer's part department to print you one, just pretend you want to buy something
Old 07-08-13, 08:37 AM
bobbyg49
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if the air suspension can be replaced more cost effective than the Lexus solution, other than coilovers? Just wondering. Thanks
Old 09-11-13, 07:49 AM
ubersonic
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing air shocks with coilovers

Hi all, hope I'm posting this in the right place, I live in Britain and have a UK spec LS430 which I believe is the equivalent of the UL spec you guys have, the isn't much information on swapping to springs this side of the pond (we only had the option of air shocks) so I was hoping somebody could provide a bit of info. From the service history the car has traveled nearly 150,000 miles on its original shocks and having read horror stories this scares me somewhat, but what scares me more is that it feels like a capsizing battleship under enthusiastic cornering.

Ideally I would like to fit a set of BC Racing adjustable BR spec coil-overs (as the cost less than a single air shock), replacing the air shocks is not an option as due to our used car market a set would cost more than the value of a LS430, and plus I would also like a firmer ride. Not bone shaking however I would prefer to have my enthusiasm for cornering limited by the sense that the back may lose traction instead of the sense that the entire vehicle may roll over.

Anyway back to the point, can I simply disconnect the air shocks and replace with coil-overs or will this throw a bunch of VSC errors? And if it does can I pull a fuse to the air compressor or something to make them go away? Also with the air shocks gone I know the height control switch will not do anything but will the sport/normal one still work? (I think I read somewhere it adjusts more than the shock dampening).

Thank you very much for any help.
Old 09-11-13, 08:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

No VSC errors to my knowledge. Just need to pull the fuse for the compressor. The other option is to go with a Bilstien or KYB struts and Tanabe springs. I did this on my LS400 and I really liked the balance between comfort and performance.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-11-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 09:34 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you inquired about these new Tanabes? Anyone know anything about them? Sure they're more expensive than BC but probably get what you pay for...

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/z40.asp?id=22
Old 09-11-13, 10:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I did this on my UL LS430 and didn't have any issues except my "Height Hi" light stays on. BC coilovers are an excellent choice.

The sport mode button doesn't do anything once you get rid of the factory air shocks.

Last edited by Kira X; 11-24-17 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 10:17 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Have you inquired about these new Tanabes? Anyone know anything about them? Sure they're more expensive than BC but probably get what you pay for...

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/z40.asp?id=22
I know the Tanabe model just under the Z40's is supposed to be really good/ My guess would be the new Z40's would be even better but they cost quite a bit more than the BC's and Tanabe Sustec Pro's.

The advantage to BC's is that you can get custom spring rates and you can add Swift springs to make them ride even better.
Old 12-13-13, 12:21 PM
addi61
Driver School Candidate

Leiptr,

Did you ever resolve this issue and how? I did the conversion on my 02 LS using the OEM sport shocks and Tanabe NF210 springs and am getting -2.2 degrees of camber. The alignment shop is worried that if they bring it within spec the tires are going to contact the fender under load.

Did anyone else run into camber issues with the swap? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
Originally Posted by Leiptr
Does anyone have a problem with the tires wearing on the inside? About six months after performing my upgrade I blew a rear tire and when I swapped it with the spare,I noticed the tire was worn all the way through on the inside. After examining the rest of the tires, I found the same issue on all of them and had to replace all four tires. After replacing the tires, I had another alignment and was told that since I lowered the car the rear tires couldn't be aligned properly and I had to get custom rear control arms (@295 each + labor). Now here is is six months later and I've already blown another rear tire and the other is goign to blow soon as well (the front tires seem to be fine though). I'm also having a problem with the left front tire (driver side) rubbing against the frame of the car. It's so bad now that the metal is cutting into my tire.

Did I miss some part of the conversion that's causing my tires to wear unevenly on the inside? At $350 a tire, this is starting to get expensive considering they only last six months. Would a camber kit like the one mentioned in the link below fix the problem with tire wear?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-gs-ls430.html
Old 12-13-13, 02:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by addi61
Leiptr,

Did you ever resolve this issue and how? I did the conversion on my 02 LS using the OEM sport shocks and Tanabe NF210 springs and am getting -2.2 degrees of camber. The alignment shop is worried that if they bring it within spec the tires are going to contact the fender under load.

Did anyone else run into camber issues with the swap? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
If you are on stock wheel without any spacer, it will never rub the fender.
Old 12-14-13, 09:01 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys i have a quick question if anyone can answer.
i have stock 2002 with 17 inch rim with 123000 miles on them, has anyone noticed a difference in ride quality with just changing the oem shocks non ul with air, after 123000 a lot of dealer mechanics say the shocks are still good my car rides a little rough even with michelins, no suspension issues, i want to see if anyone has changed the kyb and had better ride quality thank you

Quick Reply: UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos