LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 05:11 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)

Just wondering its costing me about 4,000 to paint my car back to silver do u think its worth it to put the extra 1,000 to flip the color to something else?????

2001 LS430 just reached 90k miles run like new!!!!!
Old 03-07-09, 05:41 PM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes do it, its only 25% more. You know you want to do it, and you know you will so agree to it and save yourself the stress of deciding
Old 03-07-09, 05:47 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does that include doing the engine bay? I only ask because there's nothing worse than drooling over a cars paint job and then they lift the hood and its a completely different color under there.
Old 03-07-09, 06:03 PM
Budhah
Driver

assuming your car is in fair condition. it is worth maybe 6-8k on trade in. Why would you want to sink $4-$5K into a car that you can trade in and with the same money get a newer one, with the color you want.??

Sure it is a good car. but $5k for a paint job is a bit out there in my way of thinking.. Now I wonder if you use Regular or Prem gas in the car?? If you use regular, just keep it the way it is..
Old 03-07-09, 06:24 PM
DrJfrmLA
Driver School Candidate

I'm with Budhah. I've never understood a $2k car with a $3k stereo, a $5k paint job, and $2k in wheels and tires. Buy a $12k car instead, because you're still driving a $2k car. If you want a different color, buy a car in that color. If you want it a weird metal-flake lime green or something, buy a Grand Marquis, put 22s on it, and go to town.
Old 03-07-09, 07:31 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ohhhhhh... rough crowd here. I can understand from both sides, but let me ask the people that give the big thumbs down. Do you have major pets (dog and cat, not goldfish) and if it were sick, would you pay $4000 for a heart operation if the dog/cat were only a stray when you got it? I know... blah blah blah, it's different, but "worth" is purely in the eye of the beholder and what he/she sees as value.

For me, would I drop $5K into a vehicle worth $9K, probably not... especially if it's to convert from say one major color to another (silver to black). If it's to get a "favorite" color like Florescent Pink #23A, then hey... can't buy a new car like that...
Old 03-07-09, 07:45 PM
DrJfrmLA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Ohhhhhh... rough crowd here. I can understand from both sides, but let me ask the people that give the big thumbs down. Do you have major pets (dog and cat, not goldfish) and if it were sick, would you pay $4000 for a heart operation if the dog/cat were only a stray when you got it? I know... blah blah blah, it's different, but "worth" is purely in the eye of the beholder and what he/she sees as value.

For me, would I drop $5K into a vehicle worth $9K, probably not... especially if it's to convert from say one major color to another (silver to black). If it's to get a "favorite" color like Florescent Pink #23A, then hey... can't buy a new car like that...
Alexus--you probably asked the wrong question. Would I spend $4k for a heart operation for a dog? No. I had a wonderful Labrador for 15 years (a long time for a Lab), and I told the vet more than once I could buy a brand-new, not broke one just like that one for $400, so call me before he did anything heroic. It's a DOG, not a child. It's a CAR, not an extension of my privates. I said in my thread I didn't understand it--not that it was wrong. It's not my money, so I don't much care what the choice is. I was simply offering my two cents' worth like everybody else.
Old 03-07-09, 07:59 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Wow, 5000 for changing the color, they do charge you arm and lef for it!

Wish you were in Vegas, I would take care of you.
Old 03-07-09, 07:59 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2c worth

Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
... It's not my money, so I don't much care what the choice is. I was simply offering my two cents' worth like everybody else.
Hey, that's what we're all here for, to give our 2c worth... which some times I must admit, I've short changed about 1c...

I'm not saying what you were saying was wrong, I'm just giving other examples of how people just spend without giving much thought and not that it's wrong, it's just what the person sees as value or not. I said I would not spend $5K just on a paint job, but hey, OP might think the "new" color would make his life complete... I don't know.

All I know is, wish I had money like that to even consider blowing on something like a paint job...
Old 03-07-09, 08:22 PM
Budhah
Driver

Well,, let me see,, I had a beautiful t-cup poodle for 13 years, and spent a "few" bucks on her,, But would I pay $4000 to make her look like some other dog?? Don't think so,, She might come back looking like CoJO.. LOL

Once you change the color, it will not be the same to you again.. But then changing car color is not like changing shirts or pants.. More like changing style of underwear, as it is fundamental to the whole relationship where man and metal meet... LOL

Why don't you do what you want,, you the one to live with it,, Let us know how you did, Ask 100 people and you will get at least 50 diff answers, that did not agree with you.
Old 03-07-09, 08:47 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Thumbs up Respect to all!!!!

well i do respect all "opinions" a lot! just wonder i know any second hand car i buy i will end up painting no matter what i haven't seen a perfect used car yes i was lucky to have nothing wrong with my car but at the end of the day i want what u call WET paint job with a little more clear and pearl for more shine...but the reason why it so much my body man paints everything and it worth it a couple of his car won at FUNK FLEX car show dub show downs so i know his paint is crazy and he only work on high END cars plus that's discounted for me... but either way if i buy the color car i want its going to get painted....also the color i really want i cant find it. i only see it on the 2004 and up with it, its like a silver/white-ish (looks white from a far and when it close on u its silver buy very light silver..if anyone know the color code??? or have pictures???
please let me know

and for the record i only use 93in all my cars i take car of my female lol !!

Last edited by Swagga82; 03-07-09 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-08-09, 04:15 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I can appreciate the need for perfection in a car you plan on driving quite a while. For 5 grand then i assume the engine bat and every previous painted spot is painted? Go for it it is only money. How the heck do you get down around the engine? I also would hate to have any tell tale signs it was a repaint.
Old 03-08-09, 04:24 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

well dunno i might just go sliver again.. work it out if he will paint it silver again for 3500 i just want a lighter silver not by to far still close to stock ....

i really want Dark Gray.... or that silver/white no one knows any color codes for that color
Old 03-08-09, 06:02 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i paid around 3k on a custom high gloss blue paint job a while back and it was bangin for sure, but my only complaint was that every day the car got more scratches and less wet if you will. i loved having a custom color car that everyone knew was mine but i was too **** about taking care of it and some people said it got a little out of hand at times. i also dropped about 6500 on rims a few months after the paint job as well as about 5k on stereo stuff plus 1k on a new aero kit front bumper. all this was done on a 8 year old car that cost me 4k. how do u guys like them apples? i also replaced all the zenki parts out for kouki parts so it looked like it was the newer 4 year old model instead of the older 8 year old model.

i say go for it.
Old 03-08-09, 06:09 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If moneys a non-issue do it! You are keeping it and its cheaper than buying a new car(Lexus)! Have fun enjoy your car. That said, do it only if money isn't an issue meaning, no debt(besides mortgage/household bills) like credit cards student loans etc.! If no debt ,do it! Makes driving more fun when you put your own touch on/in your car!

Quick Reply: Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)